CPAP/BPAP Machines

floridaheidi

It's already been stated that you can get distilled water and an extension cord for your machine, which I have done for our May cruise. My question is have guests who have previously brought their machines, have you packed it in your checked in suitcase or have your brought it in your carry-on? I would prefer packing it in my suitcase, but I also don't want it flagged and I have to go and personally pick it up at customer relations.

Speaking from my mother in laws experience anything you can't afford to lose should stay with you. Especially medical stuff. She was on a cruise and put two computers, cameras and medicine into a checked bag because she didn't want to lug it on the ship. Somehow the bag made it on a different ship than her and it took them 3 weeks to get it back. When she did, all that was left in her bag was clothing and her meds.

Moral to the story, I carry my CPAP on board, along with my computer and two changes of clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess I am too concerned about losing my BIPap machine to put it in a suitcase. With flying and then having it go through the baggage process when boarding the ship, no way would I do that.

Mine is in a case and I just slip it over the handle on my carryon roller. I know where it is and don't have to worry about it.

If you are willing to risk having to listen to snoring the whole cruise and willing to risk the health of the wearer, go ahead and check it in you luggage. If your shirts don't make it, go to the gift shop and buy new ones. If you machine doesn't make it, you are out of luck. Luggage gets lost every day.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an FYI. CPAP machines are not a valuable item in monetary terms. We own two. One for the home, and one to travel with. The travel one is much smaller, and you can buy them for under $200.00. All you need is a prescription, which your doctor should give you with no issues since it's a back-up machine.

Yes we check it with our baggage. However, I'm not worried about the loss, but the only real value is not having it when you need it. So that's the worry.

Now if you are driving to the ship, the risk of "loss" is pretty slim compared to the airlines. So it's your choice of handling of the risk

Just an FYI. CPAP machines are not a valuable item in monetary terms. We own two. One for the home, and one to travel with. The travel one is much smaller, and you can buy them for under $200.00. All you need is a prescription, which your doctor should give you with no issues since it's a back-up machine.

Yes we check it with our baggage. However, I'm not worried about the loss, but the only real value is not having it when you need it. So that's the worry.

Now if you are driving to the ship, the risk of "loss" is pretty slim compared to the airlines. So it's your choice of handling of the risk

Dh's machines cost in the 1000s. We had to pay on them out of pocket for months before insurance off the rest.

It wasn't $200.

Hubby always packs his in the carry-on bag. Once, when the carry-on was being scanned, the woman operating the machine made him open up the bag and dig it out because "she'd never seen one before". That seemed just a bit strange to us, because I'm quite sure he wasn't the first cruiser to cruise with one... Every other time it's gone through without even a second glance.

On another note... double check and make sure you don't leave any parts behind accidentally. Our last cruise, the mask part had fallen off when it was being packed, and by the time we discovered it, it was too late, we were on board the ship. <Insert story about trying to convey what is needed to a taxi driver in Cozumel, and a somewhat frantic search of various pharmacies and finally a local hospital to get a regular type oxygen mask, that he had to use the belt from the in-cabin robe to tie to his head to get it to seal tight enough...LOL>

Special Needs Dept,

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Thanks for the info and the link. Just stated using a CPAP machine a couple of months ago. This will be our first cruise taking it with us. I have taken a couple of flights with it and no problems traveling with it. Just an overnight and long weekend, So carry on limit was not a problem. I will be flying to Europe for out TA cruise in the fall. And normally have a roll-a-board and a small bag. Now with CPAP the count goes up:eek:. The one question, I do have is your CPAP counted towards your 2 carry on bag limit for flying?

Thanks,

Vic

Dh's machines cost in the 1000s. We had to pay on them out of pocket for months before insurance off the rest.

It wasn't $200.

DH has one of the newest and according to Sleep Study Doc best one available, it cost more than $1000. We have 2 insurance policies and they paid for it, but will not pay for a replacement so DH is carrying it on, not checking.

I'd be interested to know what brand and model of travel CPAP machine is under $200. For that price, I'd have an extra machine just for travel and one for the cabin. Then I could dispense with packing up my home machine.

Thanks for the info and the link. Just stated using a CPAP machine a couple of months ago. This will be our first cruise taking it with us. I have taken a couple of flights with it and no problems traveling with it. Just an overnight and long weekend, So carry on limit was not a problem. I will be flying to Europe for out TA cruise in the fall. And normally have a roll-a-board and a small bag. Now with CPAP the count goes up:eek:. The one question, I do have is your CPAP counted towards your 2 carry on bag limit for flying?

Thanks,

Vic

Medically necessary equipment doesn't count against your carry-on limit, per the Americans with Disabilities Act.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tsa-rules-cpap-machines-110222.html

I'm not sure if that holds true for flights originating outside the US. I have flown domestically and internationally multiple times with a carry on, a small backpack/personal item, and my CPAP machine in its own case and haven't had any issues.

It wasn't $200.

My wife has two. The main one, supplied by the insurance company was expensive. However, I stated that a travel one, which can be purchased for $200.00 are available and widely used for trips. They are very lightweight, use the same mask and travel well. They can be used on 110 or 240 volts, and have plugs for both.

Like all medical equipment, prices are jacked up for insurance scamming. However, with are little searching, you can find reasonable prices. Most people don't shop for these, they buy what the insurance says to get.

Just like the CPAP, I also have 3 different wheelchairs and scooters, which depends on where we are going, and the mode of transportation. I have a very high end scooter, that we only paid $749.00 for. I saw the same one in medical supply houses for $3000.00. I than found the scooter for less than $400.00 internationally, but it would cost a lot for shipping, so I really could not have saved more.

I know I can't post web-pages but type in travel cpap, and you will find all kinds. I found mine for $209.00 with free shipping.......

I'd be interested to know what brand and model of travel CPAP machine is under $200. For that price, I'd have an extra machine just for travel and one for the cabin. Then I could dispense with packing up my home machine.

XT Fit CPAP by APEX. Currently sells for $209.00 with free shipping. When I bought it, it was $189.00 plus shipping, so I guess about the same price. Google it for web-pages.

Medically necessary equipment doesn't count against your carry-on limit, per the Americans with Disabilities Act.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tsa-rules-cpap-machines-110222.html

I'm not sure if that holds true for flights originating outside the US. I have flown domestically and internationally multiple times with a carry on, a small backpack/personal item, and my CPAP machine in its own case and haven't had any issues.

XT Fit CPAP by APEX. Currently sells for $209.00 with free shipping. When I bought it, it was $189.00 plus shipping, so I guess about the same price. Google it for web-pages.