Do I need a passport??

... We've had a similarly strange experience coming into LAX where we were told "you're not what we are looking for - go and stand in the US line".

By any chance, was there someone nearby who looked like this:

388ea0749a6fa240f554aa7271510a4b.jpg

On our round trip to Europe from Boston, we were told by the TA that technically we didn't need a passport since it was closed circuit. But we had to hand it in twice and appear once in person w/ it. So, you never know.

So sad that a travel professional is so wrong.

The closed loop provision only applies to the WHTI, to which no nation in Europe is party.

Had you shown up with no passport you would have gone home with no cruise.

On our round trip to Europe from Boston, we were told by the TA that technically we didn't need a passport since it was closed circuit. .

:confused::confused::confused::confused: what cruise goes out of Boston round trip to Europe?

The passport discussion Pops up from time to time in various context and I´m always amazed how many Americans view passports.

Even though many countries, usually when sharing borders or belonging to the same Union like the EU, have policies in place for border crossing without passports, a passport is the only internationally accepted official ID.

Another Point in the discussion, US citizens usually just look at what their own government requires them to do.

A passport is mostly a document to enter a foreign Country and not to re-enter your home Country. Whenever I travel I take my passport and Show it as ID when asked. However I never Need it to re-enter my home Country, regardless of where I´m coming from and if I´m flying in, arrive By ship, car, bike, foot or whatever.

I´m shocked a TA would suggest just because a cruise starts and Ends in Boston that no passport is needed when travelling to Europe:eek:.

Apart from the rules set By your home Country you should always be prepared for any rules of the countries you are visiting. Even the Caribbean Islands could decide without notice to make passports for cruise passengers mandatory. I know it´s unlikely they will do this, as they might miss out on tourism Dollars, but that´s not the Point, it´s their decision not a US government decision, just like every Country can decide to only let People in who got a visa.

and none of those stops require a passport? Hard to believe. :confused:

A passport is required. Europe is not a party to the Western Hemisphere agreement. The closed loop cruise has to be to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.

Edited by Charles4515

Why not just get a passport? That way you're future proof if you want to visit Europe or the rest of the world.

It always amazes me how many Americans don't have passports . Why not?

It's getting better. Last I read around 46% of Americans had passports. Still low when compared to Europe, AU & NZ but improving.

We travel with our Passports when cruising, one never knows if an emergency will happen and you find yourself flying home from a Port outside the US. I will include Canada in that recommendation although not a foreign port. If an emergency were to happen you would need a PP to fly back to the US.

On these threads, one often hears the benefits of having a passport.

What are the advantages of not getting a passport?

Saving money.

I cannot begin to describe how much money we would have saved if we had never acquired passports.

2 long trips to Europe and 3 weeks in South America....likely more to come.

Just wanted to provide an update:

I was able to confirm with the Candian Border, as well as Yukon Railway service they confirmed that an enhanced license would be acceptable.

Below is the response provided by the border to me:

Foreign nationals seeking entry into Canada must meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). The requirement of subsection 16(1) of the IRPA states that a person who makes an application to enter Canada must answer truthfully all questions put before them for the purpose of the examination and must produce all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires. The individual seeking entry must be able to satisfy the border services officer (BSO) of their identity and nationality. This may be facilitated by providing the BSO with a valid passport or other original document that clearly denotes identity and nationality.

The following documents may be satisfactory evidence of United States (U.S.) citizenship:

· A valid U.S. passport, U.S. passport card, or a Certificate of Citizenship and Naturalization are considered primary evidence and are acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship.

· The Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) and Enhanced Identification Card (EIC) (non-drivers) are alternative travel documents denoting the holder's identity and citizenship and are acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship when entering from the U.S. through land and marine ports of entry only.

· An original U.S. birth certificate, when accompanied by a valid government issued photo identification document, is considered an indicator and may be an acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship.

You should also be aware that foreign nationals may be found inadmissible to Canada on the grounds of criminality, security, human or international rights violations, health, financial reasons, misrepresentation, and non-compliance with the IRPA.

Information on visiting Canada is accessible at:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

We travel with our Passports when cruising, one never knows if an emergency will happen and you find yourself flying home from a Port outside the US. I will include Canada in that recommendation although not a foreign port. If an emergency were to happen you would need a PP to fly back to the US.

Canada not a foreign port??:confused::confused:

Like so many others (outside the USA) I am always bemused at the reluctance to get a passport.

I see ' the cost' cited as a reason....... really? You're spending $000s on your cruise, working out if the drinks package is good value and yet seem reluctant to spend a couple.of hundred on a passport that will last you 10 years, and open up the entire world to cruise around.........

Get the passport!

(Incidentally, it's called that because it allows you to pass through ports)

Like so many others (outside the USA) I am always bemused at the reluctance to get a passport.

I see ' the cost' cited as a reason....... really? You're spending $000s on your cruise, working out if the drinks package is good value and yet seem reluctant to spend a couple.of hundred on a passport that will last you 10 years, and open up the entire world to cruise around.........

Get the passport!

(Incidentally, it's called that because it allows you to pass through ports)

This cruise was given as a gift to the individual...the individual who got the gift is not in the position to purchase a passport.....

I did call the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and they seemed to think a enhanced licenses would be acceptable.

That would be fine if you were talking about entering the US. The OP is talking about entering Canada, not the US. The definitive word needs to come from Canadian officials, not US officials. Not to mention that the phrase, "seemed to think" is hardly a definitive answer.

That would be fine if you were talking about entering the US. The OP is talking about entering Canada, not the US. The definitive word needs to come from Canadian officials, not US officials. Not to mention that the phrase, "seemed to think" is hardly a definitive answer.

If you see my latest response, i did get official word from Canadian Officials an EDL would be accepted.