Leaving your phone on the ship

SewMuch

It is worth mentioning that, unless you have cell service with one of the major carriers (ATT, Verizon, T-mobile, etc), your cell phone may not connect onboard a ship or in a non-US location.

Services like Straight Talk, Consumer Cellular, Cricket, VirginMobile, usually have disclaimers that they do not work overseas.

It is worth mentioning that, unless you have cell service with one of the major carriers (ATT, Verizon, T-mobile, etc), your cell phone may not connect onboard a ship or in a non-US location.

Services like Straight Talk, Consumer Cellular, Cricket, VirginMobile, usually have disclaimers that they do not work overseas.

But, if you have a cell phone you should get it unlocked.......and then you can buy a SIM card wherever you travel and use your phone there ;) I never use my regular service provider when I travel - I buy a SIM card for that location (US, New Zealand, Japan, Portugal).

But, if you have a cell phone you should get it unlocked.......and then you can buy a SIM card wherever you travel and use your phone there ;) I never use my regular service provider when I travel - I buy a SIM card for that location (US, New Zealand, Japan, Portugal).

Why not just use T-Mobile...like many on the crew. Our regular T-mobile plan gives us coverage around the world with no additional charges for data or text. Voice can cost a little per minute (depending on the country) but we are generally talking about less then 20 cents. We have traveled all over Europe, the Caribbean, Central America, downunder, etc. So with a single SIM and regular plan we essentially have a worldwide phone (they claim it works in over 140 countries). The big advantage is friends and family (back here in the states) can reach us just about anywhere by dialing our USA number. We first learned about the T-mobile advantage from 2 crew members on a long HAL cruise in Europe. Their coverage was so good they could sit in the Crows Nest (the highest passenger bar on the ship) and use landbased cells when we were quite a few miles off the Italian coast. As soon as we returned from that trip we switched from ATT to T-mobile and now, our phone simply works just about anywhere (without additional monthly cost). The best part is that are normal data plan gives us the same data overseas...so we can use our phone as a GPS (or use other apps) with no concern about data cost. We were skeptical at first, but last year when we got LTE coverage in Russia, Iceland, and even the Shetland Islands we were convinced.

Hank

Why not just use T-Mobile...like many on the crew. Our regular T-mobile plan gives us coverage around the world with no additional charges for data or text. Voice can cost a little per minute (depending on the country) but we are generally talking about less then 20 cents. We have traveled all over Europe, the Caribbean, Central America, downunder, etc. So with a single SIM and regular plan we essentially have a worldwide phone (they claim it works in over 140 countries). The big advantage is friends and family (back here in the states) can reach us just about anywhere by dialing our USA number. We first learned about the T-mobile advantage from 2 crew members on a long HAL cruise in Europe. Their coverage was so good they could sit in the Crows Nest (the highest passenger bar on the ship) and use landbased cells when we were quite a few miles off the Italian coast. As soon as we returned from that trip we switched from ATT to T-mobile and now, our phone simply works just about anywhere (without additional monthly cost). The best part is that are normal data plan gives us the same data overseas...so we can use our phone as a GPS (or use other apps) with no concern about data cost. We were skeptical at first, but last year when we got LTE coverage in Russia, Iceland, and even the Shetland Islands we were convinced.

Hank

They may offer service around the world but in my village it would be roaming so until they make their network a bit more robust we're stuck with AT&T (although other providers are increasing their coverage to our little corner of the world). We generally get the AT&T passport plan which coverage where we are so DW can use her phone if needed (mine stays onboard because I don't have the same addiction:cool:).

Well you guys have convinced me. Now that my phone is smart enough to handle it, next time we're off ship in a foreign port I'll have my phone, equipped with an international plan. But the phone will be turned off unless I need it.

Well you guys have convinced me. Now that my phone is smart enough to handle it, next time we're off ship in a foreign port I'll have my phone, equipped with an international plan. But the phone will be turned off unless I need it.

Heck, the way some of these people are gushing about how fantastic smart phones are these days (they have even reminded us that it is 2017, after all), maybe I'll just send my phone on vacation in my place and just let it do everything for me. No need to be with it. According to the smart phone addicts, these things can do anything and we cannot possibly live without them (or, as some say, we shouldn't be living without them). I guess it's time to surrender and let them take control of my life.

I am so distraught to learn that my life is totally worthless because I don't have a smart phone in my hand at all times.;p

Don't be upset if you don't have a smart phone. Mine is so smart that last week it took itself off to Atlantis in Dubai for a holiday. OK I left it on the table there. It spent most of the afternoon and evening holidaying at the resort until some kind person handed it in to lost and found. Picked it up at 11.30 pm, left for airport at 5 am next morning. Cutting it fine.

Think phone is smarter than me.

T-mobile, Sprint : Free international data roaming (2g to 3g, paid extra for faster speed)

AT&T, Verizon: $10 per day international data roaming with eligible shared data plans (4g lte)

All you really need is data and you could make calls using different VOIP app. I keep my phone with me anyway even if just using it to take pictures. I have it on airplane mode but if I need it, I could use it for emergency communication.

Heck, the way some of these people are gushing about how fantastic smart phones are these days (they have even reminded us that it is 2017, after all), maybe I'll just send my phone on vacation in my place and just let it do everything for me. No need to be with it. According to the smart phone addicts, these things can do anything and we cannot possibly live without them (or, as some say, we shouldn't be living without them). I guess it's time to surrender and let them take control of my life.

I am so distraught to learn that my life is totally worthless because I don't have a smart phone in my hand at all times.;p

I guess you don't watch tv or listen to radio or use a landline either?

They can be addictive but my guess is everyone has one of each...well maybe not the landline anymore as cells have replaced them for lots of people

Disclaimer. I'm a dinosaur and still have a landline but then again I like messing with the minds of the telemarketers

FYI...even old schoolers and 80 yos have smartphones

The security provided simply from the location services feature is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's what savvy travelers do!!!![emoji106]

I guess you don't watch tv or listen to radio or use a landline either?

They can be addictive but my guess is everyone has one of each...well maybe not the landline anymore as cells have replaced them for lots of people

Disclaimer. I'm a dinosaur and still have a landline but then again I like messing with the minds of the telemarketers

FYI...even old schoolers and 80 yos have smartphones

The security provided simply from the location services feature is worth it.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am not a hater of technology. I am not opposed to having the latest devices such as our 4K flat screen smart TV, or my week old smartphone, or my old iPod, or my VR headset. Heck, I am even here typing away on this interweb thingie. ;p

But, I can easily go for a day or longer without picking up my smartphone or turning on the TV, especially on a cruise where the TV never gets turned on or our phones kept in the safe. There is so much more to life that doesn't require the use of technology, especially on a cruise ship or while exploring foreign ports. I'm a stop and smell the roses kind of guy, not a 'how quickly can I get this picture of that rose uploaded to my blog, Instagram, Facebook, etc'.kind of guy. :)

I go both ways. I guess you could call me bi-techual. :evilsmile:

Living without all this technology has been just fine for millennia. It can still be fine if a person wants it to be. I choose to go without it much of the time. You may choose to rely on it much of the time. Neither is wrong. They are just different approaches to enjoying ourselves. Whatever works best, go for it.

And yes, we do have a landline. It is much more convenient to have several landline phones spread out in various rooms rather than always carrying a cell phone around the house to avoid having to run to whichever room you last left it in to answer a call.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Hank

Maybe because we don't live in a good T-Mobile area.......or maybe not even in the US

Maybe because we don't live in a good T-Mobile area.......or maybe not even in the US

That is an issue.... although we have found that T Mobile has really improved their North America service.. We travel to both Canada and Mexico...and our phone works in those countries just like here in the USA (with no extra charges). But if you have lousy T-mobile service then many tell us that Verizon is a good option because they have a pretty reasonable monthly add-on fee for decent international service.

Hank

If you have an Android phone and have data, and you have google location history turned on, it keeps track of everywhere you go and where you have been. It is creepy and cool at the same time. It shows you day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute where you have been. If you take any pictures that stored on google photo, they will show up in the timeline with location and name of the business or place. It's really helpful when you are looking back and trying to find out the name of the restaurant in Japan you had lunch 3 years ago.

Last year we took an excursion in Mexico. You get on a bus and take you to places. After we got back, I have the exact roads they took and names of the places. Smartphone is pretty useful even if you don't use it and just having it on you. :D

Go here to see if you could see your travel history:

https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb

That is an issue.... although we have found that T Mobile has really improved their North America service.. We travel to both Canada and Mexico...and our phone works in those countries just like here in the USA (with no extra charges). But if you have lousy T-mobile service then many tell us that Verizon is a good option because they have a pretty reasonable monthly add-on fee for decent international service.

Hank

Part of what I was saying is that we're not all Americans or living in the US

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am not a hater of technology. I am not opposed to having the latest devices such as our 4K flat screen smart TV, or my week old smartphone, or my old iPod, or my VR headset. Heck, I am even here typing away on this interweb thingie. ;p

But, I can easily go for a day or longer without picking up my smartphone or turning on the TV, especially on a cruise where the TV never gets turned on or our phones kept in the safe. There is so much more to life that doesn't require the use of technology, especially on a cruise ship or while exploring foreign ports. I'm a stop and smell the roses kind of guy, not a 'how quickly can I get this picture of that rose uploaded to my blog, Instagram, Facebook, etc'.kind of guy. :)

I go both ways. I guess you could call me bi-techual. :evilsmile:

Living without all this technology has been just fine for millennia. It can still be fine if a person wants it to be. I choose to go without it much of the time. You may choose to rely on it much of the time. Neither is wrong. They are just different approaches to enjoying ourselves. Whatever works best, go for it.

And yes, we do have a landline. It is much more convenient to have several landline phones spread out in various rooms rather than always carrying a cell phone around the house to avoid having to run to whichever room you last left it in to answer a call.

I hear what you are saying but I need to add this..

I know a person who refuses to use email. No reason for it other than that's what she wants

Ok she has that right but...when the entire...

School community

Club community

Church community

Etc etc

is communicating exclusively via email and text then you have to get on board or risk being uninformed

I'm done with being her source of information primarily because she gets angry.."that no one told me"

Well since she knows it's all electronic communication and she is the only one not using it I guess it's her problem not ours

And no we do not have to communicate in writing for just 1 person when 99 others are using electronic communications

It's not really about being glued to a cell phone it's more about being reachable and a moments notice and having up to date information

However personally I think the resistance that many have toward smartphones is 2 fold

1st. They don't want to pay for it

2nd. They are paranoid about every move they make being monitored

I like every move I make being monitored because I'm not doing anything wrong and I like the security I have in a smartphone in case I need it

Heck I don't care about my credit cards being monitored via store rewards cards either. Yup we grocery shop constantly pay tuition put gas in several cars...just like everyone else

There is nothing on my credit cards nor anyplace I go that I need to hide

I hear what you are saying but I need to add this..

I know a person who refuses to use email. No reason for it other than that's what she wants

Ok she has that right but...when the entire...

School community

Club community

Church community

Etc etc

is communicating exclusively via email and text then you have to get on board or risk being uninformed

I'm done with being her source of information primarily because she gets angry.."that no one told me"

Well since she knows it's all electronic communication and she is the only one not using it I guess it's her problem not ours

And no we do not have to communicate in writing for just 1 person when 99 others are using electronic communications

It's not really about being glued to a cell phone it's more about being reachable and a moments notice and having up to date information

However personally I think the resistance that many have toward smartphones is 2 fold

1st. They don't want to pay for it

2nd. They are paranoid about every move they make being monitored

I like every move I make being monitored because I'm not doing anything wrong and I like the security I have in a smartphone in case I need it

Heck I don't care about my credit cards being monitored via store rewards cards either. Yup we grocery shop constantly pay tuition put gas in several cars...just like everyone else

There is nothing on my credit cards nor anyplace I go that I need to hide

You rambling message is almost incoherent and is hard to read. What is it with the spaces between lines, and the complete lack of period punctuation at the end of the sentences? Is this an example of how much better using a smart phone is supposed to be?

I don't think so! :rolleyes:

You rambling message is almost incoherent and is hard to read. What is it with the spaces between lines, and the complete lack of period punctuation at the end of the sentences? Is this an example of how much better using a smart phone is supposed to be?

I don't think so! :rolleyes:

Sorry to get under your skin but the use of .......... in my posts

Is to give pause....and I will continue to use them.

Personally your above post in one paragraph form bothers me and I would never post in paragraph form

I prefer sentences with spaces between them

Much easier to read

Of course nobody needs to adhere to that and can write their posts anyway they want

It's all good Lol

Oh and btw....my post related to how some people refuse to get on board with technology and how it is their loss and how others do not need to change for them ...

On the contrary.....they need to get up to speed with technology.

Sorry to get under your skin but the use of .......... in my posts

Is to give pause....and I will continue to use them.

Personally your above post in one paragraph form bothers me and I would never post in paragraph form

I prefer sentences with spaces between them

Much easier to read

Of course nobody needs to adhere to that and can write their posts anyway they want

It's all good Lol

Oh and btw....my post related to how some people refuse to get on board with technology and how it is their loss and how others do not need to change for them ...

On the contrary.....they need to get up to speed with technology.

Paragraphs "bother" you? Are you serious????

I am curious - why do you refuse to follow established methods of writing which seems to work for at least 99% of the rest of us? Just look over any thread and people have the good sense to structure their sentences, and yes, even paragraphs, in traditional formats that everyone is familiar with. People find it easier to read posts as if they were being spoken to them in a normal cadence, not in fragmented clusters of words with dramatic pauses at seemingly random places for effect. We have been taught that a period "." closes a sentence, not a space between each sentence. We write that way, and we read that way. The style you favor is awkward and interrupts the train of thought. Reading your posts is like walking down a set of steep stairs, rather than a comfortable stroll. It is "herky jerky" instead of flowing. It is NOT easier to read.

Why the need to be different? If it is due to a learning disability, then I will apologize for questioning your style of writing. But, if it isn't, then you are just plain wrong.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Paragraphs "bother" you? Are you serious????

I am curious - why do you refuse to follow established methods of writing? It seems to work for at least 99% of the rest of us. Just look over any thread and people have the good sense to structure their sentences, and yes, even paragraphs, in traditional formats that everyone is familiar with. People find it easier to read posts as if they were being spoken to them in a normal cadence, not in fragmented clusters of words with dramatic pauses at seemingly random places for effect. We have been taught that a period "." closes a sentence, not a space between each sentence. We write that way, and we read that way. The style you favor is awkward and interrupts the train of thought.

Why the need to be different? If it is due to a learning disability, then I will apologize for questioning your style of writing. But, if it isn't, then you are just plain wrong.

LOL. Talk about a tempest in a teapot! A wrong was to write? What a laughable idea.

I could ask what's wrong with you that you couldn't understand that post.

LOL. Talk about a tempest in a teapot! A wrong was to write? What a laughable idea.

I could ask what's wrong with you that you couldn't understand that post.

Sorry if the fact that I was taught how to compose my thoughts in established formats is reprehensible to you. I have always believed that an effective tool employed to share ideas and thoughts is the written form. And that written form is well established and has been around for generations, serving us well all these years. I am saddened by the deterioration of communication skills I see so much of these days. I guess I am just a dinosaur to some of you. But, I would rather be an old dinosaur with a grasp of normal etiquette than a younger person with almost total disregard for traditional norms that I see these days.

With that thought, I will remove myself from this conversation since my comments seem to be so abhorrent to some of you. Cheers!

Sorry if the fact that I was taught how to compose my thoughts in established formats is reprehensible to you. I have always believed that an effective tool employed to share ideas and thoughts is the written form. And that written form is well established and has been around for generations, serving us well all these years. I am saddened by the deterioration of communication skills I see so much of these days. I guess I am just a dinosaur to some of you. But, I would rather be an old dinosaur with a grasp of normal etiquette than a younger person with almost total disregard for traditional norms that I see these days.

With that thought, I will remove myself from this conversation since my comments seem to be so abhorrent to some of you. Cheers!

Communication is as much about form as substance, I agree. But just in the same way people choose not to all dress the same and so express a style, people choose not to write the same way and their choices express their style. Virginia Woolf,, Oscar Wilde, Ernest Hemingway, Stephen King, Salman Rushdie, and Mark Twain all had different styles of writing, and none of them are "wrong".

Yes, a writer needs to organize his/her thoughts, but then that writer has an abundance of ways to express them.

Communication is as much about form as substance, I agree. But just in the same way people choose not to all dress the same and so express a style, people choose not to write the same way and their choices express their style. Virginia Woolf,, Oscar Wilde, Ernest Hemingway, Stephen King, Salman Rushdie, and Mark Twain all had different styles of writing, and none of them are "wrong".

Yes, a writer needs to organize his/her thoughts, but then that writer has an abundance of ways to express them.

Well said!!