Bugs

Hank Hill 0530

We are going to Alaska May 20. Are the mosquitoes bad enough to need repellent? I have heard that we do and that we don't.

I don't think the mosquitoes need repellent but you may do. :)

With 6 trips to Alaska and 4 of which included road trips, we never had issues with mosquitoes biting us. However, on two of the road trips we wisely picked up Windex and paper towels after leaving Anchorage. By the time we got to Glitter Gulch, we were calling the car the bug-mobile! At each scenic stop, DH had to clean the headlights and windshield - the WW fluid was marginal at best in removing the bug debris - hand rubbing worked best. I'm sure it was the particular time of year we visited AK, and seasonal changes in mosquito population. In summary, be prepared just in case.

Living in the Northeast, we have nasty biting mosquitoes that carry disease, so I'm used to the need for serious bug repellent.

Darcy

We are going to Alaska May 20. Are the mosquitoes bad enough to need repellent? I have heard that we do and that we don't.

At sea probably not. On land probably yes. It will normally be warm enough (above 50 degrees Fahrenheit) for the beasties to be out. The further inland you go, the more there will be.

What time of year did you drive up?

My question as well. We are driving from California to Montana and then up through Canada and all the way to Fairbanks (and back again of course). We're going slowly and may take 2 months to do the trip. We leave mid-June and have been wondering about the mosquito issue when camping. We are hoping for the best but planning for the worst and "expecting" bazillions of mosquitoes. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

My question as well. We are driving from California to Montana and then up through Canada and all the way to Fairbanks (and back again of course). We're going slowly and may take 2 months to do the trip. We leave mid-June and have been wondering about the mosquito issue when camping. We are hoping for the best but planning for the worst and "expecting" bazillions of mosquitoes. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

We went in mid to late August and didn't encounter much of any insects at all. It was just when the frost was starting. Warm enough to be comfortable, cool enough to keep them at bay.

Sounds like a trip I would appreciate but from Florida it's a little far for comfort.

I think I'll stick to the Gulf state areas. ;)

I think it depends a lot on what you plan to do. If you are going to stay in the cities for the most part, you likely won't need it. However, if you have a small bottle that doesn't take much space, it doesn't hurt to throw it in. :D

Sounds like a fabulous trip!! We drove from FL to Montana (Glacier NP) in 2016 but just couldn't make it to Alaska. Going slow and enjoying where you are is what it's all about. Have a fabulous trip, and hope the bugs aren't too bad!

"My question as well. We are driving from California to Montana and then up through Canada and all the way to Fairbanks (and back again of course). We're going slowly and may take 2 months to do the trip. We leave mid-June and have been wondering about the mosquito issue when camping. We are hoping for the best but planning for the worst and "expecting" bazillions of mosquitoes. Hopefully it won't be too bad."

Do you have room for 1 more (old retired woman)? Your road trip sounds great! ENJOY!:cool:

We went last year during the 1st week of June and the mosquitoes were pretty bad, especially the further inland we went. The worst of it was on our land tours in Denali and Fairbanks.

Wow. Last year we did a 6 day land tour before the southbound cruise and we didn't see a single mosquito in Fairbanks or at either the Denali Lodge or McKinley Lodge. We flew to Fairbanks on July 18 so I guess we were lucky.

Sounds like a fabulous trip!! We drove from FL to Montana (Glacier NP) in 2016 but just couldn't make it to Alaska. Going slow and enjoying where you are is what it's all about. Have a fabulous trip, and hope the bugs aren't too bad!

Yep. That's why we're going to Montana first. :) We visited Glacier National Park once before and are going back again before heading north. We figure taking it slowly will allow for side trips and such or, if we find someplace we really like a lot, we can just stay longer. We have a little teardrop trailer - mostly a queen bed on wheels - and we camp 3-4 days (rarely 5 unless there is a shower) and then get a room somewhere.I like that our teardrop has a door on each side. No crawling around. Just sit on the edge and swing in. Easy in and easy out. Important with a bad back.

This is a picture of our "big rig":

55adb6ff-33d0-4d12-b276-79a7255803a1_zpsc5cltxu3.jpg

We always take a packet of those Deet Wipes ... I think Off makes them. We sail up to Alaska a lot and some years, nothing ... but then sometimes, yikes ...we've been covered by bites. It will depend on how much time you are spending around standing water and no wind or rain. That area in Skagway near that stream or in Ketchikan up on married man's trail can be particularly buggy. It certainly doesn't hurt to take these wipes along just in case.

For our AK road trips, we flew into Anchorage each time, rented a car and explored the state on our own. These trips were early and mid May and the 2 others were early June. The cruise only trips were both in July. During the May trips, the weather was on the cool side, but very pleasant for driving and hiking in Denali. By the time we got to Fairbanks, the weather was much warmer. On one trip we continued to Delta Junction and worked our way to Copper, staying at a delightful B & B, owned by an AK registered land surveyor and is wife, a nurse. No mosquitoes there.

Mosquito population depends on snow cover to protect the mosquito eggs, rate of warm-up, fluctuating high temps to speed snow melt, among the many factors. Living in MA, we have had a very wet spring so I anticipate the need for lots of protection in the form of spray, wipe on cloths, and having our yard sprayed. West Nile and EEE [deadly] are not in AK.

Maybe posting on the AK board will prompt a state resident to this year's anticipated mosquito swarm.

Darcy

I've never had problems in coastal areas during the daytime unless I was in pretty substantial tree cover. Inland and after dusk, I'm delicious.

I no longer use DEET repellents. I have switched to those with Icaridin/Picaridin/Bayrepel/Saltidin (same stuff, different names depending on where you are in the world) and get excellent protection. It doesn't smell, it isn't greasy, it doesn't destroy plastics and it works.

Yep. That's why we're going to Montana first. :) We visited Glacier National Park once before and are going back again before heading north. We figure taking it slowly will allow for side trips and such or, if we find someplace we really like a lot, we can just stay longer. We have a little teardrop trailer - mostly a queen bed on wheels - and we camp 3-4 days (rarely 5 unless there is a shower) and then get a room somewhere.I like that our teardrop has a door on each side. No crawling around. Just sit on the edge and swing in. Easy in and easy out. Important with a bad back.

This is a picture of our "big rig":

55adb6ff-33d0-4d12-b276-79a7255803a1_zpsc5cltxu3.jpg

Sort of like spam in a can for the bears. :D

We had a real winter this year compared to the previous two years, Lots of deep snow! Mosquitos were already out before we left for Europe, it's going to be a buggy spring and summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums