NCL Pearl vs NCL Dawn

We were on the Dawn in November 2016 and will be on the Pearl this year and another time next year. What are the differences! It doesn't appear many even though they are different class ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are differences for sure: yes, they have the same restaurant choices for starters, and they are similar is sie but we much prefer the Jewel class ships. The Dawn has slightly larger cabins, but it is harder to navigate. It took us the entire 12 days to figure out where we were going. The Le Bistro on the Dawn isn't nearly as upscale and much more crowded than on the Pearl. The spa on the dawn is very old and not anything like th

Did we enjoy the Dawn? Yes, very much, cause we met a lot of super nice people and had some great stops, but we love the Pearl. The Jewel class ships are top of the line for us. Everyone has his/her own ideas about what is good and bad. I will say the staff on both are outstanding.:cool:

There are differences for sure: yes, they have the same restaurant choices for starters, and they are similar is sie but we much prefer the Jewel class ships. The Dawn has slightly larger cabins, but it is harder to navigate. It took us the entire 12 days to figure out where we were going. The Le Bistro on the Dawn isn't nearly as upscale and much more crowded than on the Pearl. The spa on the dawn is very old and not anything like th

Did we enjoy the Dawn? Yes, very much, cause we met a lot of super nice people and had some great stops, but we love the Pearl. The Jewel class ships are top of the line for us. Everyone has his/her own ideas about what is good and bad. I will say the staff on both are outstanding.:cool:

Agree! Given a choice I would prefer the Pearl or any of the Jewel class ships.

Also agree. Plus the pearl has the spinnaker lounge, which is awesome. Great views!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also agree. Plus the pearl has the spinnaker lounge, which is awesome. Great views!

The Jewel class ships also have the Great Outdoors. That and the Spinnaker lounge are huge pluses. The lack of those public spaces on the Dawn are, imho, real drawbacks for that ship (and the Star).

There are differences for sure. The Le Bistro on the Dawn isn't nearly as upscale and much more crowded than on the Pearl.

With the Dawn's makeover last year, Le Bistro was moved into the same space/location it is on the Pearl. So you won't see much difference there.

La Cucina is up on Deck 12 aft of the buffet on the Pearl and there is no Los Lobos Cantina. The Pearl has the Great Outdoors which is terrific. The Pearl does not have the stadium tier seating around the pool.

The Pearl also has a great atrium bar area. The Bliss lounge on the Pearl has an unusual/bold décor but it does have bowling alley lanes.

With the Dawn's makeover last year, Le Bistro was moved into the same space/location it is on the Pearl. So you won't see much difference there.

La Cucina is up on Deck 12 aft of the buffet on the Pearl and there is no Los Lobos Cantina. The Pearl has the Great Outdoors which is terrific. The Pearl does not have the stadium tier seating around the pool.

The Pearl also has a great atrium bar area. The Bliss lounge on the Pearl has an unusual/bold décor but it does have bowling alley lanes.

Two things I know immediately I will miss, the theater seating around the pool and Los Lobos!!!!!!!

Two things I know immediately I will miss, the theater seating around the pool and Los Lobos!!!!!!!

We loved Los Lobos and ate there three nights during our cruise. Hope they add one to more ships. Having said that, looking forward to going back on the Pearl as we enjoy the Great Outdoors and the Spinnaker lounge.

We loved Los Lobos and ate there three nights during our cruise. Hope they add one to more ships. Having said that, looking forward to going back on the Pearl as we enjoy the Great Outdoors and the Spinnaker lounge.

We did too!!!! I've not been on the Pearl so no idea what the Great Outdoors or Spinnaker is. Will have to check that out.

We did too!!!! I've not been on the Pearl so no idea what the Great Outdoors or Spinnaker is. Will have to check that out.

The Great Outdoors is an open seating area in the aft just behind the buffet. It has its own smaller buffet, and you can also carry food out there from the main buffet. It also has its own bar. Some of the tables line the rail (with a view of the wake), and others, back from the rail, are covered. So you can sit in the sun or the shade, whatever you prefer. It's a great place to eat, and a wonderfully relaxing place to sit at other times as well. We sometimes spend hours there.

The Spinnaker is in the bow on Deck 13; it's the indoor, forward-facing observation lounge, with huge floor to ceiling windows, comfy sofas and chairs. It's often used during the day for things like trivia, and at night for game shows, etc. But otherwise, it's another good place to hang out and relax, with great views of the water. There's a bar there as well.

As I said above, these are two of the best public spaces on the Jewel class ships.

Also, don't miss the bridge viewing room all the way forward on Deck 11, port side.

The Great Outdoors is an open seating area in the aft just behind the buffet. It has its own smaller buffet, and you can also carry food out there from the main buffet. It also has its own bar. Some of the tables line the rail (with a view of the wake), and others, back from the rail, are covered. So you can sit in the sun or the shade, whatever you prefer. It's a great place to eat, and a wonderfully relaxing place to sit at other times as well. We sometimes spend hours there.

The Spinnaker is in the bow on Deck 13; it's the indoor, forward-facing observation lounge, with huge floor to ceiling windows, comfy sofas and chairs. It's often used during the day for things like trivia, and at night for game shows, etc. But otherwise, it's another good place to hang out and relax, with great views of the water. There's a bar there as well.

As I said above, these are two of the best public spaces on the Jewel class ships.

Also, don't miss the bridge viewing room all the way forward on Deck 11, port side.

Wow! Thank you!!!!

The Dawn was the precursor to the Jewel class ships. She has the same basic underpinnings as them and the layout is also similar. The Dawn does not have a Haven - but sports the two largest Garden Villas in the fleet. I have only been on the refurbished Dawn last Sept and I really liked the overall experience. We are not much into the pool spaces and our cruise was to Canada and New England and was very port intensive. Our experience on the Pearl was in AK and was also both cool and port intensive. I will say that I like both the Great Outdoors and the Spinnaker Lounge on the Pearl but I did not miss them on the Dawn. I know that the Pearl has also been in drydock since I was last on her - but I believe that Modernaro and Cagneys are in the same place on both ships. LaCucina on the Pearl is next to the Garden Café on the Dawn it is next to LeBistro and one of the bars (can't remember the name) I know that the music from the bar spilled over into both restaurants.

I guess I am more of a destination cruiser so the ship is not much more than a floating hotel that takes me from place to place to explore.

had forgotten about the GReat Outdoors. It is also a great place to sit and read, especially if you do not have a balcony cabin which we will not have on our next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Was on the Dawn last Thanksgiving our of New Orleans, and this year will be the Pearl out of NO. The Dawn has a nice kids Dinosaur slide pool area in the back, which the Pearl does not have. Was hoping that they would put back in the pool slide in the Pearl, but seems like they did not. Our kids loved the kids buffet in the Dawn , but was taken out in 2016. Hoping that the Pearl will keep the kids buffet area in for the 2017 Thanksgiving cruise (usually around 700 kids on-board so they should!).

Was on the Dawn last Thanksgiving our of New Orleans, and this year will be the Pearl out of NO. The Dawn has a nice kids Dinosaur slide pool area in the back, which the Pearl does not have. Was hoping that they would put back in the pool slide in the Pearl, but seems like they did not. Our kids loved the kids buffet in the Dawn , but was taken out in 2016. Hoping that the Pearl will keep the kids buffet area in for the 2017 Thanksgiving cruise (usually around 700 kids on-board so they should!).

We have never cruised over Thanksgiving before, but are thinking of booking this cruise out of NOLA. The idea of a week in the sunshine prior to Christmas sounds very appealing! Overall, how did you like taking a Thanksgiving cruise? Any special things happening on board? Was the embarkation/debarkation extra busy?

Thanksgiving has been a sold-out cruise with A LOT of kids, which was fine for us because we have kids. We were very happy with the Dawn's kids club staff and activities. The bars and pool areas are crowded but not unmanageable (especially with the Dawn having the stadium style seating around the pool). They did offer the traditional Thanksgiving dinner in the dining room but that was about it. They did not put up any Christmas decorations during our last two cruises on the Dawn. The Gulf/Mexico waters are still warm from the summer in November so the ocean and pools were very swim-able. The weather did not really cooperate both years however. November seems to be the rainy season in the Gulf/Cozumel/down the coast. We had about 50/50 rainy/storm days both years. Would like to maybe try the Eastern Caribbean ports some time for the Nov. sailing as the weather may be better? We really like New Orleans and the port of New Orleans. Embarkation and debarkation was organized and ran smoothly both years. New Orleans is a fabulous city to visit. Lot's of attractions including kid-friendly places to visit such as the Audubon zoo, Aquarium of the Americas, Insectarium, Children's museum, New Orleans City park and amusement park. Would definitely be worth spending some time before or after the cruise!

had forgotten about the GReat Outdoors. It is also a great place to sit and read, especially if you do not have a balcony cabin which we will not have on our next cruise.
And not to be missed, is the cookies they put out around 3:30pm.

I agree, like the Pearl over the Dawn. Was on the Dawn in December and everything was great, but the Pearl has always been my favorite NCL ship.

Thanks for the details! We do love New Orleans so a cruise out of there is a plus. It does look like that cruise is booking up fast, but we just might go for it. I think we would be spending Thanksgiving Day at Harvest Caye and we really enjoyed that earlier this year:cool:

Great feedback above. If you have not been on either, you would really not notice the differences. I think those two ships are closer to each other than most others. (Dawn and Jewel Class)

Great feedback above. If you have not been on either, you would really not notice the differences. I think those two ships are closer to each other than most others. (Dawn and Jewel Class)

We were on the Dawn. Have two cruises booked on the Pearl, thus my question.

I've been on the Pearl once in Alaska and have it booked again in New Orleans. I have been on the Dawn at least 6 weeks.

The Spinnaker lounge on the Pearl was a deal breaker for sailing in Alaska because this was the place to be when sailing through Glacier Bay and many other places observing the scenery and the wildlife. I would have never booked the Dawn in Alaska. However, in the Caribbean there is not much to see from the Spinnaker as it is warm enough out on deck for observation.

The Pearl also had the bowling alley and the rock climbing wall which the Dawn does not have. Other than that, they were pretty similar and I enjoyed cruising on both.

I have been on the Pearl and the Dawn and have enjoyed both of them. The Pearl seemed somewhat larger and had the Great Outdoors, and an original Spinnaker Lounge. I loved the Le Bistro space on the Pearl, which seemed larger than that on the Dawn.

DH and I will be on the Dawn this summer for the Boston to Bermuda cruise. The Dawn is a very nice ship, with auditorium style seating on the pool deck. It recently underwent a major dry dock. Both ships have great entertainment, service, and crews.