Front vs Middle of ship

BubbaLuvin

Do you notice a big difference between Front and Middle? I sailed middle before but this time we have front.

We cruised on Reflection in the Caribbean and had suite 2131. Everything was fine until the last day getting back to Miami. Overall I was fine. I just had problems eating and just not feeling great. We will go back to booking center to center/aft.

You are definitely going to notice a difference. How much of a difference I would say depends on deck level, weather conditions during the trip and size of the ship.

I too prefer mid ship, but sometimes don't mind the rocking and have cabins that are more forward booked on my two upcoming X cruises to avoid having life boats blocking the view down from the balcony.

We always bring ginger capsules and take them with every meal and usually don't have any issues with motion sickness.

We prefer mid-ship. After more than a dozen cruises with no problems with being seasick, I felt the affects on two recent cruises the first day. I don't want to take the chance of it taking any of the fun out of the cruise.

I've sailed in front, mid and aft accomodations, and if it bothers you, mid is the one where you may feel less rocking, however if the seas are very rough, it won't matter. All three have their benefits(the rocking doesn't bother me at all, I sleep even better thanks to it!). My DM prefers as close to true midship or midship/aft on lower decks because she finds it smoother. If you're concerned with the rocking, I agree with the other posters and think you should bring either natural(ginger candy, ginger tea bags), prescribed or over the counter medications with you just in case.

DW likes to get in 3 miles of walking every day, and since the demise of the true Promenade Deck she does her circuits on a passenger deck with a complete circuit corridor. She reports that on anything but a glassy sea, she notices lots of movement as she moves aft, a smaller amount at the stern, and the absolute least at midship. Therefore she has instructed me to never book a forward cabin, and even to resist the siren song of rave reviews for aft balconies!

DW likes to get in 3 miles of walking every day, and since the demise of the true Promenade Deck she does her circuits on a passenger deck with a complete circuit corridor. She reports that on anything but a glassy sea, she notices lots of movement as she moves aft, a smaller amount at the stern, and the absolute least at midship. Therefore she has instructed me to never book a forward cabin, and even to resist the siren song of rave reviews for aft balconies!

I know, I keep on hearing about aft S1 suites on Solstice Class. I really dont want to be that far aft.

Great Summary! Kudos to your DW! That siren song of aft balconies is a testament to savy ship designers and marketing gurus! My amazement continues for the performers who deal with the motion on that stage in the bow!

I love forward cabins. My favorites are right by the bridge on Deck Ten so I can watch the captain and his staff scurry around when we arrive at or leave ports. Another factor is that far forward is quieter with far less foot traffic. Far aft is quieter in terms of foot traffic too, plus I love the sound of the wake.

As for feeling slight sea sickness, I seem to have that no matter where our cabin is, especially on cruises which have two sea days in a row.

Mid-ship cabins have the advantage of being closer to elevators and stairs. The walk to the cabin is much shorter. For me, though, I like the built-in long walks. I need every bit of exercise I can get on a ship.

You allegedly feel less rocking in the middle, the laws of science, but I've also cruised front and back as well and if the weather is decent, I really don't think it matters all that much. To be honest, I actually prefer aft so go figure.

We prefer cabins right at the front or the aft cabins.

Having said that, we don't get sea sick so it really doesn't bother us. Much prefer the extreme front or back as they are quieter as no one goes past your door...

We were on a cruise on the Millennium in Japan last September. Because of a typhoon in Japan, our ship's departure from Shimizu port was delayed. The production show that night was changed from the one originally scheduled (lots of dancing) because of the strong movement at the front of the ship. We were very glad that our cabin was midship.

For the past few years, we've booked nothing but aft cabins whenever possible. We've experienced a slight increase in movement, compared to midships, but nothing that would give rise to concern. As for the extra walking, that's a nice counter-balance to all those extra calories that we inevitably consume.

DW and I have booked many cabins up toward the bow...but there are significant difference. Cabins towards the bow tend to be more quiet (just make sure what is over, above and around your cabin) because there are few mechanical systems towards the bow. The heaviest equipment (engines, pumps, etc) are arrayed around the center of the ship (center of gravity) and the aft has the props, azipods, etc. The bow does have bow thrusters which may wake you up as you head into port in the morning (our alarm clock). There is also less foot traffic forward of the forward elevators which means it much quieter in the corridor outside your cabin. If you would happen to get into really rough seas, the bow is certainly the worst area for movement (it just rocks me asleep). As to aft cabins, they are more popular then cabins towards the bow.. They are closer to the aft elevators which will usually take you up to the Lido buffet. But the aft area of some ships will have some vibration (from the props and cavitation) and sometimes noise related to mechanical systems housed on the lowest decks. On some ships we have also noticed a slight "shimmy" motion towards the aft...which bothers some folks. If you are sensitive to motion you would ideally want to be towards amidships....with the lowest decks having the least motion.

Hank

Anyone who says "there is no difference in a forward cabin" has never been on a sailing with an active sea. By active, I mean in excess of around 8 meters, or 25 feet. If the conditions are like that, and the swells are long, you will get lots of pitch and the difference between a cabin far forward and one mid ship, will be considerable. If the movement is due to high winds or strong currents on one side of the ship (which causes roll), the difference will be minimal forward, mid or aft. They will all move.

Over 850 days on cruise ships. 7 in a far forward cabin. That was enough to convince that there absolutely is a difference.

We were just in Equinox. Had very last aft cabin starboard side. Was the worst. Never ever again. We were so sea suck. We've cruised several times always midship. The movement at the aft and the far front in inescapable!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Have to agree with those of you saying there is a big difference when sailing on "very active seas" and have a cabin way forward or aft.

Even those of us do are lucky enough to not be seasick find the LONG hallways walks a real challenge getting to and from our cabin. :eek: