New Zealand - what would you suggest doing on a country-intensive cruise?

BBMacLaird

Today we've published a blog post "Seven Things to Do in New Zealand" highlighting our two country-intensive voyages around New Zealand.

I'm thinking we could have rounded it out to Ten Things to Do in New Zealand! I know my husband wants to go to NZ for the sailing. I'm a big fan of agri-tourism and NZ is a leader in this. I'd love to visit some farms...maybe watch a sheep-shearing contest.

How about you...can you think of 3 more things to do in NZ, not on our list of 7??

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/blog/seven-things-do-new-zealand

For Lord of the Rings/Hobbit fans, Hobitton near Matamata is a gorgeous place to visit. Waitomo caves are beautiful, and walking up one of our fabulous glaciers is a must do as well. NZ is an outdoor lovers paradise, provided the weather cooperates!

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

Akaroa is now the tender port for Christchurch since the earthquakes, so I'm not sure how relevant my memories are!

However, we took the excellent Trans Alpine express journey from Littleton ( Port for Christchurch) up to Greymouth and back. The views were stunning, especially the glacial lakes which were green!

https://www.seat61.com/TranzAlpine.htm

http://www.kiwirailscenic.co.nz

NZ is a leader in this. I'd love to visit some farms...maybe watch a sheep-shearing contest.

When we first visited NZ, my thought was a "sheep is a sheep is a sheep". This is a country where I believe the sheep population is 10-tikmes larger than human population!

I was dragged to an agricultural show featuring sheep! I was wrong! The show was most fascinating and (if memory serves), more than 200 varities of sheep were exhibited.

Sheep-shearing was also featured.

Highly recommended!

Sounds fun. What port did you do this? How many people were on the jet boat?

This was an excursion that strangely enough was not in the original schedule. We learned about it on-board. It was called 'High Country by 4 X 4' out of Akaroa, NZ.

We started off in a heavy duty 4 X 4 to the site where we first did the speed boat. The guide/driver told us the weather had just broken a few days earlier and we ended up with perfectly blue skies.

After the exhilarating river ride...about 1 hour...we had a nice buffet lunch. Then we toured a private sheep ranch in the 4 X 4 heading up to the top of a small mountain.

Then back to the ship.

I would highly recommend this excursion.

Oh man -- We did a 3+week tour several years ago. I would recommend you see about offering the following:

Do an overnight in Dunedin -- take the Taieri Gorge Railway and see the town one day. The other day out on the Otago Peninsula to see Albatross and Penguins.

Do your AAmazing Evening ashore in Oamaru to see the Blue Penguins!

In an immersive trip I would expect to see both Milford Sound AND Doubtful Sound

In Wellington -- folks can see Te Papa Tongrewa (Museum of New Zealand) and the botanical gardens. And another great place for an overnight.

Waipoua Forest to see the biggest and oldest Kauri trees. But there is no large city up there and I have no idea where you would park a ship (our rental car was no problem)

In Matamata -- See Hobbiton (and sheep).

In Napier -- see Art Deco.

Hope that was helpful

For Lord of the Rings/Hobbit fans, Hobitton near Matamata is a gorgeous place to visit. Waitomo caves are beautiful, and walking up one of our fabulous glaciers is a must do as well. NZ is an outdoor lovers paradise, provided the weather cooperates!

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

Totally agree on hobbiton!!we went there a couple years ago on a land based tour; it was the highlight for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cannot believe nobody has mentioned those fabulous wineries!

In Tauranga we got a taxi to Hawke`s Bay a fabulous area (very flat), hired bikes and cycled the whole bay visiting wineries. .Ok it got a little messy towards the end but such a memorable day.

In Picton we arranged a trip to several wineries (including Cloudy Bay) and had a fantastic lunch at one of them.

Akaroa we went to a sheep farm and saw them being sheared, watched a very impressive display of sheep-dogs at work and finished with tea and scones on the veranda. Akaroa also has THE best fish and chip shop right on the bay..

So many wonderful trips to do in New Zealand...just don`t forget those wineries.

I know that this is a cruise forum but in my opinion the only way to do justice to New Zealand and Australia is extensive land tours

On a cruise you will only ever get a taste and will be left wanting more.

Bonnie do you realize that New Zealand has the BEST cave exploring in the world!!?? Glowworm Caves, Black Water Rafting, climbing abseils etc.

No, i didn't know that about NZ...nor did I know the word abseil - "to descend a vertical drop using a rope, to rappel".

Thanks, Professor :D

Explore the Scotland of the South - Dunedin - even the accents are Scottish!

Catch a ferry from Auckland to the quaint town of Devonport

Visit the windy city Wellington - the centre of government and home of Te Papa - the Museum of New Zealand? The building is built on rubber feet to withstand earthquakes (edit: I now see you have mentioned Wellington and Te Papa, but did you know airline pilots are specially trained to land/takeoff in Wellington because of the wind - a cruise is much more comfortable)

I may have missed it but have you mentioned the sounds (Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, Dusky Sound)?

Edited by lucymorgan

I know that this is a cruise forum but in my opinion the only way to do justice to New Zealand and Australia is extensive land tours

On a cruise you will only ever get a taste and will be left wanting more.

Or do both...a cruise followed by extensive travels in New Zealand!

Our Feb 8 2017 Sydney-Auckland voyage would be perfect...

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/voyage/1518066000/14-night-tasmania-new-zealand-voyage

Or do both...a cruise followed by extensive travels in New Zealand!

Our Feb 8 2017 Sydney-Auckland voyage would be perfect...

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/voyage/1518066000/14-night-tasmania-new-zealand-voyage

But the Feb. 8 2018 would be even better - at least you've a chance of making the sailaway! ; )

We're very much looking forward to our Feb. 2, 2018 departure from Auckland on Journey, and have been avidly following this thread. Thanks, Bonnie.