Fencing on QM2?

Captiveguru

One of the best parts of my Panama Canal voyage on QV two years ago was the fencing lessons on sea days. I was lead to believe fencing was a QV exclusive.

It appears that fencing is now on the QM2 as well? Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm fencing was listed as follows in the Daily Programme each sea day of our back-to-back crossings on QM2 last July/August.

9:00am Fencing

Limited to 16 people, first come first served. With your Sports Host Dave.

Queens Room, Deck 3, D Stairway

Regards,

John

Is this done on the QE too?

Would be great if it is on the QE. Just one quibble - it's early!! Assuming it's the same time as elsewhere, ie 9 am DH and I are usually only just half way through breakfast.

I was on QM2 Singapore to Dubai last month and fencing was offered on at least three of the sea days at 9am. It was great fun but others on our table complained it was too early for them to attend. I think if you are keen enough you will make the effort - as it was there were only about 8 or 9 of us at the lesson I went to.

There was definitely fencing lessons on QM2 this March.

I went along and watched. Gave some tips to a few people.

Is the coach (presumably just level 1?) okay with that?

I was toying with doing something similar, even if it's presumably just foil instead of a real weapon like epee, but herself is being a bit cynical. She's not believing me it would be practice for the Celtic Challenge.

I note with a wry smile that this has come up on the same weekend as the Vets 4 Nations Championships in sunny Dublin.

Is the coach (presumably just level 1?) okay with that?

I was toying with doing something similar, even if it's presumably just foil instead of a real weapon like epee, but herself is being a bit cynical. She's not believing me it would be practice for the Celtic Challenge.

I note with a wry smile that this has come up on the same weekend as the Vets 4 Nations Championships in sunny Dublin.

The coach was a member of the entertainment and activities staff, not sure what fencing quals he had. Certainly knew the basics reasonably well. Some things I did not agree with, but that is not unusual in fencing.

I introduced myself to him and said I had fenced competitively for some years.

I observed some of the lessons and only made comments after they had finished the formal part. Mostly about simple things like foot alignment (how not to injure knees) and hand position in en garde for a more eff isn't parry.

They use foils and he talked about target area. However, noting much about right of way, etc.

Newcomers enjoyed the lessons and a number were going to follow up when they returned home. Not for anyone with experience or looking for further training.

Edited by Docker123

I introduced myself to him and said I had fenced competitively for some years.

I observed some of the lessons and only made comments after they had finished the formal part. Mostly about simple things like foot alignment (how not to injure knees) and hand position in en garde for a more eff isn't parry.

They use foils and he talked about target area. However, noting much about right of way, etc.

1. Comm Vets? You make Largs in 14 or too far to travel?

2. As an epeeist I laugh at right of way!

1. Comm Vets? You make Largs in 14 or too far to travel?

2. As an epeeist I laugh at right of way!

Comm vets in Singapore. Then injured shoulder and beyond. Can't even coach because of physical aggravation. One more surgery ... ?

I fenced foil for a long time, but found I could fence épée better and it had less negative impact on the body as the injuries accumulated.

Comm vets in Singapore. Then injured should and beyond. Can't even coach because of physical aggravation. One more surgery ... ?

I fenced foil for a long time, but found I could fence épée better and it had less negative impact on the body as the injuries accumulated.

Largs was my first, following knee surgery which allowed me to fence again, but friends were at Singapore as part of Team Scotland including Mike and Mark.

Canberra next year, might see you!

in the meantime, though, you don't recommend joining in on the QV then? ;-)

Edited by TheArchitect

Very basic beginner class that I saw. Not even strong enough to get a good footwork session. Other coaches may vary, so worth asking onboard.

Will probably go up to Canberra even if not competing. As it is open and vets, likely to have restrictions on registration. In Melbourne in 2010 it was 4 per weapon per age group per gender.

Would be great if it is on the QE. Just one quibble - it's early!! Assuming it's the same time as elsewhere, ie 9 am DH and I are usually only just half way through breakfast.

There was fencing on the QE in March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very basic beginner class that I saw. Not even strong enough to get a good footwork session. Other coaches may vary, so worth asking onboard.

Will probably go up to Canberra even if not competing. As it is open and vets, likely to have restrictions on registration. In Melbourne in 2010 it was 4 per weapon per age group per gender.

It's certainly intended for someone who has essentially zero experience in the sport, and only to the point of giving one a feel for the very basics (my experience is from QV, I haven't seen it on QM2).

It's certainly intended for someone who has essentially zero experience in the sport, and only to the point of giving one a feel for the very basics (my experience is from QV, I haven't seen it on QM2).

Yes, it's a fun way to spend a bit of time onboard. They don't pretend it is anything but a taster and that is what most passengers are interested in. I enjoyed it immensely but everyone knew they were not 'proper lessons' as one would receive at a fencing club on land and that was fine by me. Had it been too technical I don't think I would have done the activity.

It is fun, and even though it's really only aimed at absolute beginners, it's very strenuous once you start to fence. On the QE last year we kept losing participants because it was so demanding. I ended up having two showers before lunch on the fencing days.

Edited by rakkor