Favorite desserts

I must admit that I LOVE sweets. So naturally, when I am daydreaming about my future cruise, my thoughts turn to desserts!

Please tell me your favorite must-have dessert on RCI!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Royal is not known for their desserts. Most have a gelatin consistency.

The desserts in the specialty restaurants are better.

I agree 100% with this. Royal cares more about what they look like than how they taste.

They need to hire a good southern dessert chef to teach them the art of dessert making.

The Windjammer desserts were disappointing, but three desserts stood out in the MDR. I liked the bread pudding...it was sticky and delicious! I also enjoyed this chocolate cake like thing. It was really rich, and had so much flavor! Finally, the Williams pear dessert on the pomodoro night was great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Something they were calling the royal chocolate fudge cake (or something like that), it was cut into little rectangles and served in the WJ at lunch and dinner most days. So tasty.

I can't eat chocolate, dairy or sugar anymore so it's off my list and I will be heartbroken every time I see it on my upcoming trip

Royal is not known for their desserts. Most have a gelatin consistency.

The desserts in the specialty restaurants are better.

I love my sweets too and they have made HUGE strides in them! I really like the creme brûlée, chocolate sensation. There were others but I do not remember the names. No worries, plenty of yummy things now!

I love creme brulee, but the stuff on RC was pretty bad (why bananas?). It was not inedible, but just not something I would order. We were actually happier with the deserts in the wj the one day we did it the last cruise.

I love my sweets too and they have made HUGE strides in them! I really like the creme brûlée, chocolate sensation. There were others but I do not remember the names. No worries, plenty of yummy things now!

"Huge" strides...in the wrong direction :eek:.

The desserts from many many years ago were actually great. Amazing looking and tasting .... just a small handful now are good and mainly these are either in the MDR or a specialty restaurant....and the apple pie at JR's.

I must admit that I LOVE sweets. So naturally, when I am daydreaming about my future cruise, my thoughts turn to desserts!

Two scopes of vanilla ice cream every night. :D

Hot cookies, fresh from the ovens, on Quantum are my favorite. The oven was in the WJ, so you could watch and see when hot ones were coming out. There was also a special cookie you could get at Cafe Promenade, but you had to ask for it.

The MDR menu hasn't changed very much in years! Same entrees and desserts over and over .. but ... having said that, there are some good things on the menu.

And as for desserts, the Chocolate Sensation (a rich mousse-y dessert) and the carrot cake are delicious! And the coconut ranger cookies .. you find them in the Café Promenade or the Café Lattetudes depending on the ship ure on ... theyre awesome .. and I eat way too many of them over the course of a week !!

I love ice cream, it is my favorite dessert. Do they make their own? Any other flavors? My favorite is probably strawberry.

They have different flavors. Other than vanilla and chocolate, a different flavor of ice cream and sherbet is featured every night.

Mini Brownie Madness from the kids menu.

I took your advice & ordered this in January, and it didn't disappoint. The waiter sort of tried to talk me out of it by saying, "that's for kids." I said it was okay, I wanted it anyway...got it, and I agree, it's about the best dessert on the ship.

Second place goes to the Pavlovas with fresh fruit on them.

Third place: Ice cream with a chocolate chip cookie

Bottom of the barrel: carrot cake, and mooshy geletaneous stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The MDR menu hasn't changed very much in years! Same entrees and desserts over and over .. but ... having said that, there are some good things on the menu.

And as for desserts, the Chocolate Sensation (a rich mousse-y dessert) and the carrot cake are delicious! And the coconut ranger cookies .. you find them in the Café Promenade or the Café Lattetudes depending on the ship ure on ... theyre awesome .. and I eat way too many of them over the course of a week !!

How funny...you enjoy the carrot cake, and we didn't. As my husband said, "You need to go show them how to do it right!" LOLOL!

And coconut rangers...heavenly!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love ice cream, it is my favorite dessert. Do they make their own? Any other flavors? My favorite is probably strawberry.

We learned a number of years ago on a galley tour that they do not make their own ice cream for the MDR. There is always vanilla, often chocolate, the abovementioned sherbets, and a rotation of flavors like coffee, pistachio, strawberry, and butter almond. Most times the ice cream is fresh and good, but we have on occasion gotten some that is freezer burned. The biggest complaint is that it's usually half melted before it reaches the table (my husband likes his ice cream very solid and not melty).

Here's some pics of the best desserts we had: the chocolate cake, meringue, bread pudding (ice cream melted during the waiter's "show") and Williams pear dessert. The pear dessert had a slightly gelatinous texture, but I liked the flavor.

e452c6b926291da6bc01b6a2bddb597b.jpgd98ef19a55fa12838371c03838d3d98a.jpg16712df272cb86939a0462d77728a8f3.jpg04b924b7a47b3a15692246d7ef27e0bb.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How funny...you enjoy the carrot cake, and we didn't. As my husband said, "You need to go show them how to do it right!" LOLOL!

And coconut rangers...heavenly!

Have to agree about the coconut ranger cookies, as long as they haven't overbaked them!

We've had the carrot cake a couple of times, and mostly it's been ok to good, but sometime they have added too much spice, particularly nutmeg, and it overwhelms the cake. The flavors and textures of the MDR desserts are just not consistent across ships.

Our most favorite "long lost" dessert was the Magic Mango Parfait. It was a semifrozen mousse with a tangy, delicious mango flavor, and I think it went away after our second cruise and was replaced with a banana mousse (probably cheaper), and then that disappeared.