My mother (84 yrs. old) slipped and fell on spaghetti tomato paste on Carnival Magic

14 hours ago, Sherry.Pan said:

So I do need a lawyer. I believe that I (as well as my mother) were fooled by the Carnival. It's been a year. 

I would really just move on.  I would assume she is ok now.   You are really just spinning your wheels and finding a lawyer to take on a case of slip and fall against a cruise line is going to be very hard.  Do you really want to keep the bad energy and stress going?

Once home...your 84 year old mother would have had her expenses covered by Medicare and a supplement...so I would assume all those costs are covered?    You seem to say she had that initial visit at the doc on board--that is about 150 or 200 bucks (just had that in August for a friend).  

Luckily she didn't break any bones (not that you have stated).   Take that as a lesson learned and move on.    You will be much happier in the end.   Fighting with a large corporation is exhausted and gets you nowhere usually.

15 hours ago, Sherry.Pan said:

So I do need a lawyer. I believe that I (as well as my mother) were fooled by the Carnival. It's been a year. 

Carnival doesn't care about you or anyone else for that matter. Sue them. You'll be so glad you did. You'll be offered a nice settlement. It's laughable to think that anyone would apologize to you. 

15 hours ago, Sherry.Pan said:

So when you get full custody of the Carnival Magic, can you  discount some sailings for us?

But please make sure everything, I mean everything... is cleaned up before we board!

You should cast blame at the person who saw the sauce there for a long time for not warning your mother or any of the other 2500 + people aboard for not telling anyone or put something over it.

Let it go and move on.  I know you want an apology or damages but really at this point what will that accomplish? I know your mom fell and that sucks but I to fell while and vacation and threw my knee out.  Chalk it up to accidents happen.  Your mom is ok be thankful for that

In another thread OP claims her mother broke her hip.  I haven't seen that claim in this thread.  Curious.

And how long is "a while".    "A gentlemen told me that the paste was there for a while and no one cleaned it up"

1 hour ago, sft429 said:

In another thread OP claims her mother broke her hip.  I haven't seen that claim in this thread.  Curious.

And how long is "a while".    "A gentlemen told me that the paste was there for a while and no one cleaned it up"

Why does that even matter?  If you got off the ship in Nassau and slipped on tomato sauce in the street, are you going to demand an apology and sue the Bahamas?  But I guess when there is an easy target, we want to sue!  Private company?  Sue!!!  Our overly litigious society is really out of control.  Mother should have paid attention where she was walking.  She didn't.  She slipped.  She hurt herself.  The ship provided medical care and helped her accordingly.  Seems like the end of the story.  But OP is obsessive about not taking any responsibility at all.  It's SOMEONE ELSE who is at fault!!!!

It was a pleasure to receive your suggestions.

My mother is getting better and better a year after her fell. But the carnival sent my mother a second letter. The letter was very offensive and fill of lies. I'm so sorry for my mother, sadly seeing her broken her hip, in bed for 6 months, and when she starts getting better, then came the letter made her sadly tears down. What I can tell is the letter was a legal malpractice letter. My words to the Carnival is that we do make up elaborate stories, there were witnesses... I want to help my mother by demanding apologies from the Carnival.

I was terrible wrong from the beginning of the accident. I should have thought that the Carnival deserves no credibility.

1 hour ago, Sherry.Pan said:

The first letter is a reasonable one, it stated to refund ticket and possible consider a medical reimbursement.

I don't care about money for the settlement, but I do demand an apology letter for what the second person said and for what had happened to my mother.   

Above is what you said a few days ago...Just let it go and do business elsewhere.   You are driving yourself nuts over this.  

Many people get "wronged" by companies in their mind.   You just have to move along and live your life.  Your mom is getting better as you stated.   There is so much more to life than chasing the anger.    Enjoy your life and plan a nice vacation with your mom to celebrate getting better

Sorry to hear about your mom falling.  If your mom accepted any payment in the form of medical reimbursement, compensation for reimbursement of the cruise ticket, you may have already waived your right to sue.  

You should speak with a maritime personal injury lawyer.  Look at Martindale dot com to find one.  No attorney should charge you for the first phone call or visit.  Also, in the US, statute of limitations is 2 years from date of injury.  Under Panama law, it is only 1 year, so you may have missed it.  

By the way, your witness is useless unless you have this person's name and contact info. 

I agree.  If your mother has recovered, received compensation for medical bills and reimbursement for her trip, let it go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2017 at 11:58 PM, bakersdozen12 said:

They would need to prove that Carnival knew about the spill and purposely did not clean it up. Sorry, but it's not worth the time or effort. They won't get anywhere in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have to agree, there is not enough proof to win a lawsuit. Maybe enough for Carnival to agree to pay for a follow up medical visit/better imaging but that's about it. This reminds me of a time when my husband and I were bored during the morning of disembarkation in between a back to back cruise, watching people walk through the buffet area from above. We saw a grape fall onto the floor and were kind of making a game out of "who will step on it first." No one seemed to notice it was even there. Passengers in flip flops kicked it around without noticing, crew members occupied with other tasks walked by and were not looking at the floor. Eventually someone stepped on it and a while later someone cleaned it up. Dumb story but my point is that there is so much going on in the buffet since it is so hectic and crowded, not everything is noticeable immediately. It is a shame that your mother was injured and I hope she does feel better soon.

This thread brings out the Carnival faithful for sure. Some people telling this woman to "Let it go" or how is this Carnivals problem?  I would love to hear her sue the heck out of them. If all what you say happened, and they find to be true, i hope you have a good lawyer and get what you deserve. I love how these CCL lovers try and defend Carnival at any chance they get. SMH

Not sure if I can be classified as a "CCL lover" - but I can tell you about the real world since I've worked in places that handle this type of thing.

Every company has legal departments and risk management departments because life happens. This incident is in no way shape or form anywhere near "drastic" enough for the kind of compensation so many of you think she could get. You should sit in on a complaint line of a major company and hear the kinds of calls that come in. You should also look through the policies companies have in regards to this type of thing. Even our legal system supports these types of policies because, if not, our court systems would never get to all the cases people would be filing. The real world is very different than so many people think.

I am so very sorry this happened to her. But nothing was broken. She's alive. In the scheme of things, this is not going to be something they'd even get a lawyer to take on realistically.

8 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

This thread brings out the Carnival faithful for sure. Some people telling this woman to "Let it go" or how is this Carnivals problem?  I would love to hear her sue the heck out of them. If all what you say happened, and they find to be true, i hope you have a good lawyer and get what you deserve. I love how these CCL lovers try and defend Carnival at any chance they get. SMH

It has nothing to do with being a Carnival lover and everything to do with the fact that she is trying to sue for an apology. That is not how the real world works. Accidents happen, you deal with them, and then move on. I have seen a similar dilemma happen before my very own eyes to a very close relative of mine. She fell at a restaurant and years later will not stop talking about it. She had minimal injuries that healed but then later had a larger injury (still not life threatening) that she swears up and down is the result of the restaurant fall. Long story short, she has let a small mishap completely ruin her entire life. Don't let this mishap ruin the rest of your mother's life. If she is healed and not financially impaired as a result, it is time to let it go.

• Like 5

I was on the Carnival Vista, TA from Spain to New York when the people operating the water slide didn't check to see that I was off the slide when they let someone else slide down on top of me.  I am around 135 pounds and the person following me was 200 pounds.  I know the weight was accurate because it was my husband.  I slowed down for whatever reason and he not only hit me but went flying past me and when he got out he was looking for me.  I was taken to medical after I changed clothes where I sat for 3 hours.  There were people with colds that were ahead of me.  I had bruises and severe neck strain.  But, I lived.  I will not ever ride the slide again.  I was lucky.  It could have been much worse.  I missed formal night and my lobster.  That was even worse than getting plowed over by my loving husband.  I think he felt worse than me.  And I will not post my bruised body pictures.    I didn't let it ruin the rest of my cruise.  I just stuck with safer activities. 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:38 AM, FSHLOT said:

Its just a matter of you don't sue everyone for accidents that happen all the time.

Years ago, my son was at daycare--he was 5--he carried a wagon up the slide and rode it down....It fell over and broke his forearm completely in half--it was just dangling there.   I was upset that nobody was supervising the kids well enough for this not to happen. 

But at the end of the day...grateful that all he got was a broken arm.   After spending the night in the hospital and having his arm in a solid cast, he was trying to climb monkey bars the next day :):)

Life is not perfect..i could have sued the crap out of the daycare (it was a national chain--lots of insurance), but I didn't.   They apologized and we moved on.  I did end up moving him to a smaller, more monitored daycare in the end.

The mom is ok...and it can happen anywhere...people slip and fall everywhere.  Businesses cant possibly have workers following every passenger to whip the floors in front of them.  

Your post seems to say that you feel Carnival is some kind of giant accident invoking monster?   They certainly don't want people hurt on their ships...they don't want to hurt customers.   They want to offer a great vacation to everyone.   And this kind of slip and fall happens on every cruise ship--every restaurant--every business.   We all slip and fall at some point in life.   You wanna sue everytime someone falls?

Edited by bingomamma19
additonal info