Exceptions to the "All Adults in Same Cabin" Must Participate in Cheers Program

beofotch

Hello,

I am trying to help a family friend and her family book their first ever cruise. They are going for an entry-level interior room on the Carnival Elation for 5 nights this August. There would be 5 of them in the cabin. 2 Adults age 35, her mother-in-law age 65, and their two kids ages 10 and 13. They know it will be tight space but are excited that a configuration like this can make this experience in their budget.

They would like to take advantage of the Cheers program. And I have even offered to pick up the tab for one of the Cheers programs for them as a gift. However, they have run into a snag. They only want or need 2 cheers packages, one for her and one for her husband. Her mother-in-law takes medication that doesn't allow her to drink and would not participate or "sneak" beverages from them as part of this program. However, the Cheers program Terms and Conditions note all adults in the same cabin must participate. And buying two cabins instead of one takes this vacation opportunity out of their budget. In a worst case I suppose they can just buy as they go on alcohol but I believe it will cost them considerably more, especially when factoring in specialty coffees, energy drinks, and sports drinks.

My question for the sages here:

A) If the mother-in-law is booked as a "Senior" as that a different category from "Adult" and could exempt her from this restriction?

B) Has anyone first-hand or anecdotally found ways to get the Cheers package for only some of the adults in a cabin? For example, could they book 4 of them in the cabin, buy the Cheers packages, and then later add the mother-in-law?

A) If the mother-in-law is booked as a "Senior" as that a different category from "Adult" and could exempt her from this restriction?

B) Has anyone first-hand or anecdotally found ways to get the Cheers package for only some of the adults in a cabin? For example, could they book 4 of them in the cabin, buy the Cheers packages, and then later add the mother-in-law?

No and no.

Making exceptions will open the floodgates, and that will simply not happen.

the cheers packages covers other drinks like sodas that kids might enjoy
What do kids have to do with threadstarter's question?

Mother in law can still get soda, milkshakes, specialty coffee, bottled water and things like that. If your friends drink a lot, the a la carte cost could easily come out more than cheers for 3. Talk to them about what and how much they drink and you can do some math. Also if they are on a budget cheers is nice because they won't have to worry during the cruise what their bar tab is and not have a nasty surprise the last night, I find that makes it more enjoyable. They will also know up front what their bar tab will be and can plan ahead to save money before purchasing online.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

What I would suggest doing is just buying them OBC for the 1 that you planned on buying for them and then let them deal with OOP expense for the rest of their booze .... If affordability is the breaking point on this then maybe they should not be drinking so much to begin with

If affordability is the breaking point on this then maybe they should not be drinking so much to begin with

I always feel that everyone needs to manage their own finance but I do agree. It is difficult to have much empathy for someone that is spending $500 on booze but comments on affordability.

I always feel that everyone needs to manage their own finance but I do agree. It is difficult to have much empathy for someone that is spending $500 on booze but comments on affordability.

Yah I normally could care less how much people drink - If someone wants to drink all 15 drinks and then sneak 10 more so be it - that is on them but if you can't afford it then you shouldn't be drinking it - And if you can afford it well then this whole thread is pointless LOL

Is everyone paying separately, or is this on 1 tab? If the latter, then it's probably a better deal to pay as you go...avoid the "specialty coffees and energy drinks"....totally doable for 5 days! That will cut down on expenses!

Hello,

I am trying to help a family friend and her family book their first ever cruise. They are going for an entry-level interior room on the Carnival Elation for 5 nights this August. There would be 5 of them in the cabin. 2 Adults age 35, her mother-in-law age 65, and their two kids ages 10 and 13. They know it will be tight space but are excited that a configuration like this can make this experience in their budget.

They would like to take advantage of the Cheers program. And I have even offered to pick up the tab for one of the Cheers programs for them as a gift. However, they have run into a snag. They only want or need 2 cheers packages, one for her and one for her husband. Her mother-in-law takes medication that doesn't allow her to drink and would not participate or "sneak" beverages from them as part of this program. However, the Cheers program Terms and Conditions note all adults in the same cabin must participate. And buying two cabins instead of one takes this vacation opportunity out of their budget. In a worst case I suppose they can just buy as they go on alcohol but I believe it will cost them considerably more, especially when factoring in specialty coffees, energy drinks, and sports drinks.

You should see how much a cabin for 2 and a cabin for 3 would cost in total. Possible it would be cheaper than one cabin for 5, and you can put granny and the kids in the 3 person cabin to avoid her paying for cheers.

You should see how much a cabin for 2 and a cabin for 3 would cost in total. Possible it would be cheaper than one cabin for 5, and you can put granny and the kids in the 3 person cabin to avoid her paying for cheers.

Good advice.

And to the OP: my understanding is there are no exceptions - not even for pregnant women or Mormons. Everyone staying in the same room over the age of 21 must purchase Cheers if someone in the room wants to buy it.

Yes, this is the way to go. Don't buy them Cheers but offer that money towards another cabin. They will enjoy the cruise much more with the extra space than the drinks.

And I also agree, that if they can't afford the cruise, maybe they should not be going. There are other expenses that go along with the base cost of the cruise. Excursions, gratuities, food & drink off the ship, souvenirs, travel expenses to and from the ship, just to mention a few.

Not entirely sure if this is 'the' cruise - but found a 5 day elation cruise in august for comparisons sake.

1 interior with 5 people will run just over $2,000 plus add 3 cheers packages (since there's no way around it) will cost them a total of approx $2,800.

2 interiors; 1 w 2 adults and one w 1 adult and 2 children will cost $2,400. Add in 2 cheers packages - cause w the two drinkers in one room now that's easily done - will cost $2,900....

How is an extra $100 to gain an entire extra room not a good investment? And if they are on such a budget that they can't swing the extra - they can certainly cruise on a budget and limit their drinking to keep the cost down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not entirely sure if this is 'the' cruise - but found a 5 day elation cruise in august for comparisons sake.

1 interior with 5 people will run just over $2,000 plus add 3 cheers packages (since there's no way around it) will cost them a total of approx $2,800.

2 interiors; 1 w 2 adults and one w 1 adult and 2 children will cost $2,400. Add in 2 cheers packages - cause w the two drinkers in one room now that's easily done - will cost $2,900....

How is an extra $100 to gain an entire extra room not a good investment? And if they are on such a budget that they can't swing the extra - they can certainly cruise on a budget and limit their drinking to keep the cost down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This sounds like the way to go right here. I think everyone will be much happier for that extra $100. I think saving $100 between now and August would be a piece of cake.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

I'm more concerned with the 3 adults and 2 children in an Elation inside cabin. We cruised an inside cabin with 2 kids on Fascination (sister ship) and were shocked at how little space there was - and this was not our first cruise on this class of ship. I cannot even begin to imagine adding another adult. As it was we had to practically crawl over each other to get to anything. I know folks say you are not in your cabin long enough to care - but however you look at it you still have to sleep, shower, dress and poop - all in a room not much bigger than a standard walk in closet!

Since no exceptions... I would take the $$$ you were going to kick in on 1 cheers package and buy them cruise cash... they can spend that on drinks... if they go,over that, hopefully the difference will not exceed the cost of the second cheers package...

You can have 2 cabins, drink packages, and a good chunk of change left trying out MSC because at least one kid will be free and they offer many variations of drink packages that can be bought individually, such as buying a set of vouchers for $85 instead of a full blown package.

We don't sail Fantasy-class anymore. too old, doesn't have the up to date features we like. Worth comparing, bet you end up at least $500 ahead of the game.

I would either HAVE to have Cheers to survive 5 in a cabin or else book the second cabin! LOL

Skip the Cheers if needed and do 2 cabins. You can bring 3 bottles of wine with 3 adults so that can help cut down on costs as well.

Like others have said there are no exceptions for anyoneover 21. My mom is staying in an interior with 3 of her friends on an upcomingcruise. They all want the package and my mom didn’t because she is like a 2-3drink person. So, she won’t get her money’s worth but everyone else will so sheis sucking it up.

I've always heard that Carnival is pretty much no exceptions to this rule. I have a relative with Type 1 diabetes. She doesn't drink at all, because of her diabetes, but her husband does and wanted to get Cheers for just himself for their last cruise, and buy the Bottomless Bubbles for her as she does like juices. They called the cruise line and were told that even with a doctor's note for her, absolutely no exceptions. He ended up just buying his drinks a la carte - which probably ended up being cheaper as he isn't a big drinker either.

I have to say that I can totally agree with their policy of no exceptions, because once you make one exception, where do you draw the line? If it was me I would just book one room for mom and dad, and another for grandma and the kids. Problem solved.