best cruise line with older teens

World Gallery

Planning a river cruise for my husband and I for the spring 2018 and we are now considering bringing our teen daughters (17, 19) and the oldest will be 21. Is there a particular river cruise line that would be better with this age? They have traveled a lot with us and have been on ocean cruises (Baltic and Mediterranean) so they do appreiciate and enjoy history and educational tours. Just wondering if there is a particular cruise line that would be a better fit for teens. I did see some info online about family river cruises but they were mostly in July and August. This trip would have to be in May or June. Thanks.

AMA has several cabins with no single supplements on many of their European cruises. I had one of those cabin last year.

I don't think you need to look for specific family river cruises, as they seem to be geared to the younger children, with regard to activities. We just returned from Uniworld's Castles along the Rhine, and had a 13yo and 16yo on board. (Two unrelated families) they both seemed perfectly content. The 13yo and her aunt did a lot of the go active excursions, and enjoyed the pool and movie theater on the ship. The 16yo hung out with his older brothers (25, 27, 29) his parents, and aunt/uncle, but also enjoyed himself. I've read that the Emerald ships offer similar amenities. The other thing to consider is which river you want to sail...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

AMA's latest generation of ships has cabins for 3 [very unusual on river ships] and some of them are connecting cabins specifically designed for families of 5. They are also known as one of the (if not the) most active river cruise lines.

We had a great experience late June last year with Tauck Bridges Danube cruise, traveling with our then 18 yo. Bridges is Tauck's "family" line of tours.

There were about 10 other teens her age, all of whom had just graduated from high school. This is apparently a popular graduation trip gift. The kids had a great time and ended up going out into the cities together every night we were docked.

My advice would be to call (or better yet, have your travel agent call), the companies you are considering and ask the ages of the already-booked kids for a particular cruise you are considering. it may be one week you'd find no other teens, and another week you'd find a bunch.

As for cabin booking, triples on river cruises are very tight, and rather pricey. Look for lines that don't do a single supplement (Tauck did not, so we got DD her own little cabin and had a lovely one to ourselves.)