AmaWaterways to Launch Danube's Largest River Cruise Ship in 2019

Host Jazzbeau

I don't know the Danube as well as some other posters here, but my assumption is that high water isn't a problem for the planned itinerary [as opposed to the Main Canal, which this ship could never sail -- since it's too wide for a lock, it doesn't have to worry about lock height clearances either] The reports from Crystal Mozart have not mentioned high water as a problem, but the reviewers love, love, love the extra room that a double-wide ship provides [not just cabins, but especially public spaces]. I'm glad that some cruise lines are now thinking outside the box of "one design fits all rivers."

I don't know the Danube as well as some other posters here, but my assumption is that high water isn't a problem for the planned itinerary [as opposed to the Main Canal, which this ship could never sail -- since it's too wide for a lock, it doesn't have to worry about lock height clearances either] The reports from Crystal Mozart have not mentioned high water as a problem, but the reviewers love, love, love the extra room that a double-wide ship provides [not just cabins, but especially public spaces]. I'm glad that some cruise lines are now thinking outside the box of "one design fits all rivers."

Huh? I believe there have already been posters reporting high water issues on the Danube this season. There really is no predictability and folks need to know that about river cruising before booking. There is always the chance. Look at Passau four years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Huh? I believe there have already been posters reporting high water issues on the Danube this season. There really is no predictability and folks need to know that about river cruising before booking. There is always the chance. Look at Passau four years ago.

The Danube is a very long river. Ships in the Crystal Mozart/AmaMagna class can only sail one stretch of it. My point was an assumption that Crystal and AMA have researched this and know the clearances required for this particular stretch. Conditions elsewhere are irrelevant.

My first thought was: "oh, direct competition for the Crystal Mozart and only for that one". For that it could work but I am also sceptical like previous cruisers. Last year G.M.T. explained the potential itineraries for the Mozart thus (post #10): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401784

If the new ship was built to the dimensions of the Mozart it would face exactly the same problems. To avoid it a limited itinerary is the best option, as has been done with the Crystal Mozart. And if you do not go for the mass market approach of offering the standard cruise throughout the year you can time it to do fewer cruises in estimated high or low water times of the year.

The only thing I hope they have not done is shoot ahead and think that authorities will be obliging. I am putting it a bit bluntly and it might sound a little unfair but in essence that kind of thing went wrong for Viking on the Seine with the 135m boats. Hence the shorter ship of 125m by Uniworld inaugurated this year.

This is how travelweekly reported about it: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/279032/amawaterways-to-launch-biggest-river-cruise-vessel-in-europe-in-2019

I am sure AmaWaterways have done their research and I hope it will work out for them.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

The Danube is a very long river. Ships in the Crystal Mozart/AmaMagna class can only sail one stretch of it. My point was an assumption that Crystal and AMA have researched this and know the clearances required for this particular stretch. Conditions elsewhere are irrelevant.

Conditions elsewhere? You're missing my point. The river conditions are unpredictable if certain unusual weather patterns come about. It doesn't matter what section of the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happened to reread the article about AmaMagna and noticed this part: "the behemoth will have the same length, height and draft as the line's other vessels." Over the last several years AMA ships have had one of the best records for sailing in high- and low-water conditions. Since this ship will have the same draft and height, it should do very well too. So in this case, why isn't bigger = better? I'm looking forward to sailing on it.

194 pax is a lt of people, compared to what I am used to on Tauck. Not to criticize, but just to compare!

Good trips to all,

AG

True, but since the ship is double wide it would feel like half that. Still more pax in the space than Crystal Mozart, but AMA fares should be significantly less than Crystal too. Think about all the posters who come here without any idea how different river cruising is from the ocean cruising they are used to -- these ships are something of a transition. Also: on our first cruise on a river we spend lots of time in port go-go-go; on a repeat voyage we might prefer to have some shipboard activities, which these larger ships will provide. After all these years of everybody building ships that are almost the same as everybody else's, I'm glad we now have some really creative thinking.