Cruise cancelled by RCCL

Just informed today that Royal Caribbean have cancelled our cruise leaving Shanghai in October. They have offered £500 on board credit for an earlier cruise, or full refund. We aren't able to make the earlier cruise. Do they not have to offer compensation in addition to the full refund. This was for my wife's 50th birthday in October.

Just informed today that Royal Caribbean have cancelled our cruise leaving Shanghai in October. They have offered £500 on board credit for an earlier cruise, or full refund. We aren't able to make the earlier cruise. Do they not have to offer compensation in addition to the full refund. This was for my wife's 50th birthday in October.

We had the same thing happen on a Navigator earlier this year. NO they did not offer compensation in addition to the refund.

If you booked under EU rules with an EU travel-agent or directly with RCI in the EU they need to give you 150% of the cruise-fare as a compensation under EU regulations.

They usually offer a few alternate dates with price protection along with the OBC. Did they offer you the earlier cruise at the same price?

Yes but we can't make the alternative. Might have to look at a different cruise company, but availability is more difficult now.

Which cruise? We're on the Quantum 13th October out of Shanghai. Doesn't look cancelled but now we're a little nervous

That is why you get the 150% compensation of your original fare so you can make new arrangements....

Do you just make up numbers as you go...

from P&O 2017

Period of notification given by P&O Cruises

Compensation perfull fare paying guest

90 to 43 days

5% cruise credit

42 to 29 days

10% cruise credit

28 to 15 days

15% cruise credit

14 to 0 days

20% cruise credit

Period of notification given by P&O Cruises

Compensation perfull fare paying guest

90 to 43 days

5% cruise credit

42 to 29 days

10% cruise credit

28 to 15 days

15% cruise credit

14 to 0 days

20% cruise credit

Did you read my explanation?

It is EU law that cancelled or overbooked vacations get you compensation just as severely delayed flights do....

Are you talking about Regulation 1177/2010? Cruises are specifically exclude from some of those Articles and only cruises embarking in EU territory fall under the Regulation in any case.

Please provide a reference to this EU law you keep mentioning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you talking about Regulation 1177/2010? Cruises are specifically exclude from some of those Articles and only cruises embarking in EU territory fall under the Regulation in any case.

Please provide a reference to this EU law you keep mentioning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's what I thought. The 50% reference is in delayed departures of ships traveling in EU. Are we missing something?