Credit Card For Onboard Account

broadwaycam

It doesn't matter what bank issues it, just that it's a certain type of card (Visa for example). They definitely accept Visa (and probably master card and American Express, maybe even discover?). It doesn't matter if it's a "Chase" Visa, or a "Wells Fargo" Visa etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

from NCL FAQ page:

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to your Onboard account. Sign up when you check in, establishing your method of payment with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB Card, Diner's Club. You may also use your debit card however please be advised that we obtain pre-authorization, as we do for all Credit Cards, and some banks hold these funds for up to 30 days. Cash can also be used as a method of payment to settle your account with an initial deposit paid in advance.

Using your debit or ATM card

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Traveler’s Check / Cash Procedures

A cash deposit may be placed on your onboard account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300 USD per person

Less than 7 days - $150 USD per person

More than 7 days - $450 USD per person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed on board.

if the card has a visa logo on it, it is good. Any visa credit card will work

The answer is 110%. Any VISA or MASTECARD is going to be accepted just about anywhere.

I assume that is a credit card and not a prepaid card - that is an issue.

Also, though they take a Debit card, I would advise you not to use that.

Does anyone know if NCL accepts Chase as a credit card type for on board expenses? It is a Chase Visa credit card.

Make sure to notify your bank, in advance, that you will be traveling so that they don't disable your account.

Does anyone know if NCL accepts Chase as a credit card type for on board expenses? It is a Chase Visa credit card.

If it is a Visa card it doesn't matter who the issuing bank is, NCL will accept it.

Chase is probably fine. Just be aware if you use a Citibank credit card that they keep the $300 hold on your account for about 45 days. It's a "pending" charge so there's no interest, and it doesn't show up on your monthly statement, so the only impact is that it lowers your available credit by that much. NCL releases the hold the day after you disembark, and most cards will release it 2 - 3 days later. But not Citibank!

Chase is probably fine. Just be aware if you use a Citibank credit card that they keep the $300 hold on your account for about 45 days. It's a "pending" charge so there's no interest, and it doesn't show up on your monthly statement, so the only impact is that it lowers your available credit by that much. NCL releases the hold the day after you disembark, and most cards will release it 2 - 3 days later. But not Citibank!

Though I have used Citi cards in the past, I never noticed that. Then again, we have a fair line of credit and $300 would not mean anything. Most cards seem to release with a few days. I have seen hotels not clear it for a week or so. Some people get worked up over those holds and start making calls all over the place. Waste of time unless they are near their credit max and need to buy something.

As to Chase "probably fine". They are totally fine.

Though I have used Citi cards in the past, I never noticed that. Then again, we have a fair line of credit and $300 would not mean anything. Most cards seem to release with a few days. I have seen hotels not clear it for a week or so. Some people get worked up over those holds and start making calls all over the place. Waste of time unless they are near their credit max and need to buy something.

As to Chase "probably fine". They are totally fine.

We were checking our bill to make sure additional charges weren't posted to the account for the mini-bar (evidently this is a pretty big problem on RCL, with a several people reporting various mini-bar charges showing up after disembarkation). Other than seeing a balance higher than we thought it would be on our daily alerts, it doesn't impact us like you said.

I am curious if a something like a American Express or Visa gift card would work?

I don't know if it would but if it dies it would carry the same issues as a debit card. As a matter of practice the pre-authorize a certain amount $300ish, and then as you near that limit they increase the pre-authorizations. Then on the last day they charge the full cost of your bill. So you could end up with several hundred in per-authorizations holding up funds in addition to whatever charge they do for your bill. So you would need more money on the pre-paid card than you planned to spend.

I am curious if a something like a American Express or Visa gift card would work?

I do not know the current status (might be in their online FAQs), but I know in the past, they did not take gift cards onboard.

I don't know if it would but if it dies it would carry the same issues as a debit card. As a matter of practice the pre-authorize a certain amount $300ish, and then as you near that limit they increase the pre-authorizations. Then on the last day they charge the full cost of your bill. So you could end up with several hundred in per-authorizations holding up funds in addition to whatever charge they do for your bill. So you would need more money on the pre-paid card than you planned to spend.

Thanks. That makes sense.