Guarantee Room Assignment Question....

First time on RCI and First time having a "guarantee" cabin vs. choosing a cabin....

Once your reservation is fully paid, how long goes it typically take before the actual cabin is assigned? The cruise I am taking is in October if that helps!

Thanks!!

First time on RCI and First time having a "guarantee" cabin vs. choosing a cabin....

Once your reservation is fully paid, how long goes it typically take before the actual cabin is assigned? The cruise I am taking is in October if that helps!

Thanks!!

Sometimes it will be assigned almost immediately other times not till you get to the dock

We have usually been assigned fairly soon after final payment has been made. Never had a time where we were very close to sailing and was not assigned a cabin. I guess we have been pretty lucky with this.

I booked a rather rare triple occupancy inside cabin guarantee at the end of January for this Sunday's Allure sailing. I was finally assigned a cabin yesterday, 4 days before sailing.

This resulted in an anxious four months of checking my reservation multiple times a day.

While I received an upgrade to an oceanview cabin, I did not book the guarantee hoping to get an upgrade. I did it for the almost $1200 price difference! :eek: Yes, they were asking a ridiculous price for an inside triple when I booked so I jumped at the guarantee.

What I've learned is you also can't go by the availability shown when you book a guarantee because that can and does change. If Royal later shows your category as sold out, remember they can upgrade other people to free up a cabin in a lower category. When you receive an assignment, it is possible that there are no other cabins in your category so you will not be able to switch. It is also possible that you will not know your cabin assignment until you get to the pier.

Personally, I don't know if I would ever book a guarantee again unless there was a very big cost savings. It was too nerve-wracking. Maybe it gets easier the more you do it. :)

~ Judy

Edited by FloridaPalms

I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen, but I don't see how they could wait until your actual check-in at the port to assign your stateroom .... where would your luggage go when it was dropped off? Your luggage tags would not have a stateroom number on them. It seems a guarantee stateroom would have to be assigned at least the day before the sailing. What do you all think? Has anyone actually had to wait until check-in or is that just a theory?

I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen, but I don't see how they could wait until your actual check-in at the port to assign your stateroom .... where would your luggage go when it was dropped off? Your luggage tags would not have a stateroom number on them. It seems a guarantee stateroom would have to be assigned at least the day before the sailing. What do you all think? Has anyone actually had to wait until check-in or is that just a theory?

If you don't know your stateroom number when you get to the luggage porters, ask them to look up your stateroom in the manifest. The stateroom will have been assigned by then.

Sometimes it will be assigned almost immediately other times not till you get to the dock

It's important to add the third scenario that sometimes you'll not be allocated a cabin at all and instead be told that there's no space for you.

• 3 months later...
Mine was assigned to me immediately and I am pleased with the room assignment. I was worried we were going to get an obstructed balcony view but we lucked out and it isn't.

Don't get too attached to your assignment. We booked an inside guarantee (because it was one of the last options on a December Anthem cruise we wanted) and were super excited when we were assigned a midship room on a lower deck that was an upgrade to a large oceanview (one motion-sickness prone kid means that's a great location for us). I'd never heard of a room assignment being switched after getting a stateroom number, so I was pretty surprised when I went into our reservation a month later and saw we had been moved to an interior room on a higher deck. I know that RCI can do whatever they want in that regard until we board the ship, but I would rather they had left our room unassigned for an extended period of time than give us an upgrade and then take it away.

I booked a balcony guarantee for Sept 23. Hope it doesn't take long to get a cabin number. Where do we look for the cabin number? Under cruise documents?

We booked a balcony gty on Harmony for Sep. 23 sailing and got assigned right away, fyi.

Thanks!!

Sign on to RCL. You should be able to see your stateroom number there, on the right side of the screen in the yellow column.

Forgot a few but here's the majority:

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

RCL Voyager of the Seas December 1999

RCL Explorer of the Seas November 2001

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2002 & November 2002

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2003

RCL Explorer of the Seas April 2004

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2005

RCL Freedom of the Seas April 2006

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2006

Princess Crown June 2006