FYI: New TSA Screening Procedures on the Way

nelblu

You missed one: D. "Voluntary compliance is for suckers and so if I am willing to ignore the terms and conditions and I can get away with it, yea for me." And that's the one that we really need to be worried about.

Families with young kids are not doing anything wrong by boarding as a priority unless the airline specifically says the family must only have young kids

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just flew back from Basel on 31 May and that was exactly the procedure. Tablets (8" and 10") out and in a separate tray with the case covers open. They were already powered on, so not sure if they would have asked that. I asked about my camera - a small Canon Powershot - and they said that could stay in the bag, however if it was a bigger DSL, I suspect it probably would have had to come out too.

I see that luvtheships and Crusin6 (the Chang and Eng of Cruise Critic) are back.

:')

If a family wants to sit together, BUY TICKETS on an airline which allows seat selection. If a family picks a festival seating airline, all we ask is that they abide by the boarding procedures and live with the results. I find it rather rude and, yes, entitled, when I am sitting in my aisle seat and someone comes up and tells me I have to move because she needs to sit next to her gaggle of little snowflakes. I'm not moving. I'll sit next to the snowflakes. I found the seat I wanted. For me, it is the seating that I need (yes, due to chronic issues from an injury and my claustrophobia issues, I need that aisle seat), not who is next to me. That is why, WN is at the near the bottom of my list of airlines to fly. Plus, it's usually not the least expensive airline where I live.

The families who try to go through the Pre-Check line and, while trying to wrangle the snowflakes and get them ready to go through, they slow down the line for the people in the PC line who know the drill and want to get through quickly. I liked the experiment TSA had a little while ago where they had a special line for families so that they did not cause issues in the other lines.

TSA is a reactive, not proactive, organization. Calm, rational thought yields to knee jerk implementation of new restrictions. I remember the implementation of the backscatter X-ray machines for people to go through. It was a boondoggle for the company a former DHS head, who was a consultant for the company who made the backscatter machines. He made millions. OOPS. Turns out those machines were actually harmful to people. The machines removed from airports and re-sold to smaller countries...

You might be on to something here

Yup couples decide to have more kids and to travel with them while they are young so they can grab the valuable real estate on a plane.

What a great idea, I can replace my bankrupt Miracle Flight Rent a Cane business with InstaKid Rent-a-Child for overhead space, just got to come up with a better name and marketing plan.

Per Conde Nast Traveler, May 25, 2017

Get ready for more bins.

If the tediousness of airport security riles you up, you might want to take a seat for this news, as more changes to the screening process could be on the way. According to the Wall Street Journal, the Transportation Security Administration plans to change policy around baggage screening. Specifically? The new rules would include requiring travelers to remove all food and electronics larger than cell phones from carry-on bags and move them into separate security bins, similar to how laptops are currently screened.

At present, the measures are being tested at ten U.S. airports including Los Angeles International, Boston's Logan International, and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International, with plans to eventually expand the policy nationwide after screeners have been fully trained. The agency said it had no immediate plans to roll out the new screening procedures at all airports, according to the New York Times. PreCheck passengers will not be affected.

Despite the flood of news surrounding potential policy change, TSA officials say these new screening procedures have been in the works for two years, and are unrelated to the recent electronics ban; rather, they are part of continuously developing counterterrorism and efficiency efforts. Given that passengers are packing their carry-ons to the brim, TSA officials say, it can often take longer to discern what's a threat—and what's not. By removing items from bags, the agency says, its screeners can scan items more quickly and reduce the number of manual bag checks.

I already take my Samsung Galaxy out with my iphone, and they can check out my bag of nuts I take, too. To me this is one sandwich bag more than I'm already taking out now.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish they would just charge for carry on bags (bigger than a backpack). It would improve the time to go through security and people could board/disembark the plane quicker.

Larger bags aren't what hold things up. It's people who pack stuff in ANY bag (including a backpack) that they shouldn't and people who haul around more than they can handle.

Larger bags aren't what hold things up. It's people who pack stuff in ANY bag (including a backpack) that they shouldn't and people who haul around more than they can handle.

In my case I pack so light it is disgusting lol

I've been know to do 3 weeks with a 21 inch roll on

Oh and the reason I do carry on is because I don't want my stuff lost

I want to arrive at my destination with my 3/4 pair of thin slacks/Capri/shorts and 8 elbow length tops and extra pair of shoes and the appropriate number of undergarments etc

Right by my side!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I have food, it is in a separate bag because it is to be eaten on the plane or it is in my purse type bag so it always gets put in the bin with the purse and any sweaters, ipads, etc. Who puts food in the carry-on?

I never surrender my seat to someone who did not bother to choose a seat ahead of time. When I ended up in a middle seat (hate that) for an emergency trip, I was just grateful to have gotten the flight and would never have badgered somebody else to move. By the way, those unused middle seats are offered for last minute travelers for a much reduced rate. Families who travel basic have to put up with separations or take what is left like I did. I am not babysitting some strange kid.

By the way, those unused middle seats are offered for last minute travelers for a much reduced rate

You're completely wrong there. Last minute fares are about as expensive as it gets, bar weird charter arrangements.

You're completely wrong there. Last minute fares are about as expensive as it gets, bar weird charter arrangements.

The r/t NYC /Paris. Naples/NYC That I paid less than $600 each for 7 months ago are now around $2500 each

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've booked plenty of last minute flights at bargain pricing. It's not a one-size fits all scenario. It may more often be expensive, but certainly not always. Airlines have complicated pricing algorithms and if the flights are usually full, pricing goes up. If it's not full, pricing goes down. Just a week ago I booked a flight with just a few days before departure for $69, same price as it is if I booked 6 months in advance. Full flight, too.

It may more often be expensive, but certainly not always. Airlines have complicated pricing algorithms and if the flights are usually full, pricing goes up. If it's not full, pricing goes down.
Sort of. The pricing algorithms are much more complex than they used to be. The airline have stopped their old practice of discounting airline travel if booked at the last minute. Now, when you see pricing going down, it is more often because seats in discount fare classes have been returned to inventory (often because discount travelers have canceled or changed their reservations), thereby making available for purchase the tickets in those lower fare classes that were previously sold out. And pricing doesn't really "go up" per se, either. Rather, lower fare classes simply sell out, leaving only higher fare classes available for purchase. Either way, it looks like pricing is changing but it generally is not. More importantly, even though sometimes you can get lucky and snag a discounted seat that has been returned to inventory most of the time you're not going to be that lucky. The old approach of trying to snatch a lower fare at the last minute no longer is a valid approach to trip planning.