FYI: New TSA Screening Procedures on the Way

nelblu

When I get on a plane I cross my fingers and go with the odds.

I don't trust the TSA one bit.

They are more of a "feel good" type of security who probably cannot really detect any sort of threat...

How long does an appointment take?

15 minute kind of time frame. You watch a video and wait your turn. My questioning time was about 10 seconds. The next desk over was being interviewed the entire time I was there.

At least American, with their lowest price (as of yesterday) allow a carry-on and selection of seats. They, however, have a different pricing structure assigned to their seats for domestic & international.

When I have looked at several flights over the last few weeks on American the cheapest flight does not allow carry on nor does it allow choice of seat. I process bookings of flights for staff weekly and our TA advised of the change. I looked at booking for our upcoming cruise and noticed it too had significantly higher fees to preselect seat and have carry on.

According to AA even if you are a higher tier reward program flyer and book cheapest option you still can't select seat nor take carry on.

15 minute kind of time frame. You watch a video and wait your turn. My questioning time was about 10 seconds. The next desk over was being interviewed the entire time I was there.

No video for us. It would have taken no more than 10 minutes of questions, examining the documentation, but their fingerprinting apparatus was not able to get a clear impression. Tried pressing harder, than softer, and finally after going soft/hard press got the agent got the desired results.

One of the puzzling aspects, was that the agent told us to guard the GE card (in a secure envelope from hacking) and told us that the data was coordinated with the passport. Unless we misunderstood the agent, we were told never to carry the card with us. Guess what, at FLL we needed the card before proceeding to Customs. Good thing my better half, had the letter of approval(s), otherwise we would have to go through the snaking lines.

How long does an appointment take?

Should take about 15 minutes or less. The good thing about EWR is that people who were late to their appointments were told to take a seat and they would be taken if there was time; otherwise they would have to reschedule. This way they kept appointments on time. I did notice several people with luggage at their appointments.

Not sure what the current booking wait time is, but when I booked my appointment, I had to schedule 6 weeks out. ymmv

Someone who is interested in GE will travel frequently and can easily schedule an interview for GE while transiting an airport. We did this in Houston on our way to FLL.

That's exactly what I did. Scheduled a longer than usual connection at ATL and did my interview there mid-trip.

According to AA even if you are a higher tier reward program flyer and book cheapest option you still can't select seat nor take carry on.

Same with Delta. Even if you're a top tier (diamond medallion) frequent flyer, if you book a "Basic economy" ticket you can't pre-select your seat.

When I have looked at several flights over the last few weeks on American the cheapest flight does not allow carry on nor does it allow choice of seat. I process bookings of flights for staff weekly and our TA advised of the change. I looked at booking for our upcoming cruise and noticed it too had significantly higher fees to preselect seat and have carry on.

Just last week, booked 5 seats on American web site for Easter '18 out of Philadelphia to FLL. Got the cheapest seats shown on the website @ $401 (was $387 a week earlier) and was able to select my seats (3 aisle seats) and allowed a carry on, in addition to a personal item.

We're flying from Philadelphia (PHL) 1.5 hrs., as the flight fares from EWR, LGA & JFK are simply out of this world.

Ps. Got a direct flight from PHL to Barcelona for this August for $729 and able to select aisle seats.

So if you can't carry on a laptop and you can't check it because of the battery how do you take your laptop?

The article, as stated, does not forbid laptops, but must be placed separately in bin.

Depending upon your location, it can be very difficult to do Global Entry. There was nowhere less than 2 hours each way for DD & SIL to go for Global Entry but they could go for TSA Precheck interviews 15 minutes from home.

We had a six hour drive in any direction.

So if you can't carry on a laptop and you can't check it because of the battery how do you take your laptop?

If the ban came to pass, the answer would be that you wouldn't take a laptop. You'd bring a tablet (so long as they remain allowed) or you'd rent a laptop at your destination if you really needed one. People will be very upset with this, but it seems like that's where we're heading.

If the ban came to pass, the answer would be that you wouldn't take a laptop. You'd bring a tablet (so long as they remain allowed) or you'd rent a laptop at your destination if you really needed one. People will be very upset with this, but it seems like that's where we're heading.

Very inconvenient but agree see it coming...

You can put a laptop in your checked baggage (FAA FAQ). The restriction is on loose or spare lithium batteries. Ones that are connected to devices, such as installed in laptops, are just fine.

You can put a laptop in your checked baggage (FAA FAQ). The restriction is on loose or spare lithium batteries. Ones that are connected to devices, such as installed in laptops, are just fine.

Good to know, I just bought a laptop with an internal, non-accessible battery.

In the UK we have had to take all electronics out of carry on luggage for ages. I Pad, I Phone, Kindle.

Same here (in Finland). Also no laptops whatsoever in checked luggage, the security will remove them and you must pick them up @ the airport after your trip.

TSA is actually discussing banning any electronics bigger than a cell phone, including tablets and digital cameras.

If airlines didn't charge $25 to check 1 bag after you have already paid for a ticket, there would be less carry on luggage.

Careful. If what you're saying is true, then there are two ways to fix that, and the one that the airlines would choose is to charge for carry-ons, too.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

When I have looked at several flights over the last few weeks on American the cheapest flight does not allow carry on nor does it allow choice of seat.

Just last week, booked 5 seats on American...Got the cheapest seats shown on the website....and was able to select my seats (3 aisle seats) and allowed a carry on, in addition to a personal item.

"Basic economy" seats are not offered on all flights. Nelblue- it's quite possible that they weren't offered or weren't available on the flight you booked, but were showing for the flight spurschick looked at.

I have booked American a bunch of times since the start of the year. I also booked basic economy or cheapest available and I have ALWAYS gotten to choose a seat. Some at a higher price. Most seats were free but they were further back in the plane. Had no problem finding overhead space either.

I do think if they started charging for overhead space, it would really speed up boarding. I have gotten hurt already by people dropping heavy suitcases out of the overhead and not caring if they hit you. I think we should be encouraged to baggage check instead of the crazy people who have 3 large bags and still manage to get on the plane with them as carry-ons.