FYI: New TSA Screening Procedures on the Way

nelblu

If the ban came to pass, the answer would be that you wouldn't take a laptop. You'd bring a tablet (so long as they remain allowed) or you'd rent a laptop at your destination if you really needed one.

How's that going to work for business travelers?

If it happens, it will be painful no doubt. I don't think the government wants to go here, but I think it's coming.

People may have to rent laptops at their destination. Or not bring a laptop.

Careful. If what you're saying is true, then there are two ways to fix that, and the one that the airlines would choose is to charge for carry-ons, too.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The carry on luggage has really gotten out of control. Have you seen what people bring on as carry on these days? And it really does slow things down. Charge, it might bring some order back into the carry on fiasco.

Someone who is interested in GE will travel frequently and can easily schedule an interview for GE while transiting an airport. We did this in Houston on our way to FLL.

I finally got my GE done. Handled it at the Miami airport last week. I was in and out in under 15 minutes. Kind of shocked how fast and painless it was. Well worth it. Anyone can schedule an appointment based on a visit to Miami for a cruise. It's at the airport in front of the Lufthansa counter. I am almost certain they would allow you in without an appointment as well. Really nice officers there.

The carry on luggage has really gotten out of control. Have you seen what people bring on as carry on these days? And it really does slow things down. Charge, it might bring some order back into the carry on fiasco.

I fly quite a bit and I haven't spent more than 10 - 15 minutes getting through security in years. Obviously there can be exceptions, but carry on bags is hardly a major issue. When they finally stopped doing free pre-check this year, I decided to go get GE/Pre-Check, so it's just that much faster - but even in all the regular lines so far this year, very fast.

Something else to consider. Instead of charging for carry ons, why not make checked bags free? I was on a couple of Southwest flights last week and I noticed that they had no issues at all with overhead space even on a full flight. I thought that was odd - never seen it. Usually attendants have to warn everyone that there is no space, etc. etc. Then it occurred to me that bags fly free, so more people check bags on Southwest.

Personally, I fly with a carry on as much as possible to avoid the 45+ minutes at baggage claim as well as bag drop off when arriving. Now that you can get a digital boarding pass, I jump out of the Uber, walk right up to security, through within a couple of minutes and at the gate 10 minutes after being dropped off. Air travel isn't that complicated anymore.

Yes, but whether or not that's a viable option depends on your line of work. I can't work on a tablet.

You would have to put your laptop in a checked bag I imagine. Which sucks for business travelers that don't check bags. I have a trip to Denmark tomorrow, I'm just hoping no ban before I return as I have to keep my laptop with me.

The other question is - what defines a laptop and a tablet? Size? Weight? Operating System? I have a Surface Book. If I simply detach the keyboard, it's a tablet... I'm curious how the rules define the difference.

NOTE: Ok, I just looked it up. Anything larger than a cell phone. Which means no tablets also. It's not a "laptop ban" - it's really a tablet ban for anything larger than 6"

I fly quite a bit and I haven't spent more than 10 - 15 minutes getting through security in years. Obviously there can be exceptions, but carry on bags is hardly a major issue. When they finally stopped doing free pre-check this year, I decided to go get GE/Pre-Check, so it's just that much faster - but even in all the regular lines so far this year, very fast.

Something else to consider. Instead of charging for carry ons, why not make checked bags free? I was on a couple of Southwest flights last week and I noticed that they had no issues at all with overhead space even on a full flight. I thought that was odd - never seen it. Usually attendants have to warn everyone that there is no space, etc. etc. Then it occurred to me that bags fly free, so more people check bags on Southwest.

Personally, I fly with a carry on as much as possible to avoid the 45+ minutes at baggage claim as well as bag drop off when arriving. Now that you can get a digital boarding pass, I jump out of the Uber, walk right up to security, through within a couple of minutes and at the gate 10 minutes after being dropped off. Air travel isn't that complicated anymore.

That is one of the reasons that making checked luggage free won't make much of a difference. As a traveler who is last off the plane because 1. We have to wait for my daughter's wheelchair to come up and 2. We would really slow people down if we were to step into the aisle before others So we sit and wait and wait, while ladies struggle to remove their huge bags from the overhead (usually needing someone else to come to their rescue). But it's not just the women, I see people leaving the plane with huge bags that really should have been checked. JMHO

It'll open up a new business in the renting of computing equipment at destinations.

Yes, but whether or not that's a viable option depends on your line of work. I can't work on a tablet.
And if you have specialized equipment beyond straightforward computing equipment, it will foster the business of cargo carriers who will start offering executive expedited transportation of electronic equipment as cargo.

why not make checked bags free?
Because the typical American consumer is maniacally fixated on the lowest possible fare. Without government interference in the form of a ban on charging for checked luggage, whoever unbundles that cost and therefore has the lowest posted fare will beat out the competitors that include checked luggage in the posted fare.

So basically what you're asking boils down to, "Why don't the airlines deliberately reduce their profitability?"

That is one of the reasons that making checked luggage free won't make much of a difference. As a traveler who is last off the plane because 1. We have to wait for my daughter's wheelchair to come up and 2. We would really slow people down if we were to step into the aisle before others So we sit and wait and wait, while ladies struggle to remove their huge bags from the overhead (usually needing someone else to come to their rescue). But it's not just the women, I see people leaving the plane with huge bags that really should have been checked. JMHO

As I wrote in my post, it seemed to make a very noticeable difference on my Southwest flight last week. If a bag is the appropriate size and fits in the bin, I don't see a problem. Checking bags sucks. When flying into Miami from Vegas, it's a damn near mile hike to the AA baggage claim from the gate, then you get there and wait forever... It's brutal. I could care less about the cost of checking a bag, but I avoid it at all costs due to the time and anxiety hoping your bag even made it. Many do care about the costs and Southwest proves that.

Because the typical American consumer is maniacally fixated on the lowest possible fare. Without government interference in the form of a ban on charging for checked luggage, whoever unbundles that cost and therefore has the lowest posted fare will beat out the competitors that include checked luggage in the posted fare.

So basically what you're asking boils down to, "Why don't the airlines deliberately reduce their profitability?"

I'm all about the free market. Southwest manages to provide the lowest fares, no overbooking, free changes, and free checked bags. Cleaner, upgraded interiors, too. Flights are always full and they are profitable. In fact, I believe they are the largest domestic airline in the country.

It's just a shame that other airlines seem to race to the bottom in all the wrong ways when you have a perfect example of how to do it right. Hopefully the pendulum swings in the other direction and more and more will follow Southwest's lead.

I flew Back from Ft. Lauderdale last week with TSA PreCheck and still got pulled and asked to show the TSA my iPhone and had it swabbed for explosives. My phone was in my carry on and I had to pull it out for them. The guy said it was a random check but I had never seen such a check on PreCheck

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm all about the free market. Southwest ...
What makes you think that every airline doing what Southwest does constitutes a "free market"? It seems like you just want what you want, rather than support the free market. There are a number of things Southwest does that suck, and suck badly. You don't have to agree, but you do have to respect those who find fault with Southwest as much as you find merit with them.

Regardless, the preponderance of evidence shows that the things you complain about are the best practice for the industry.

I flew Back from Ft. Lauderdale last week with TSA PreCheck and still got pulled and asked to show the TSA my iPhone and had it swabbed for explosives. My phone was in my carry on and I had to pull it out for them. The guy said it was a random check but I had never seen such a check on PreCheck

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You need to find my post on this thread that talks about the searching of carry on luggage on the pre-check line.

Somewhat related to this. Just saw a news vignette that the head of Homeland Security is now considering a proposal to ban all laptops from carry on luggage for international flights to and from the US. It would be interesting to see peoples' reaction to that if it goes through.

Old news

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just flew back from Europe last week using 3 domestic airports and 4 in Europe.

The current bans are for specific origins.

We were praying that the electronics ban would not happen while we were gone. The only partial remedy, and not a good one at that, is luggage wrapping. We were familiar with the process particularly flying to South America but stowing electronics in checked luggage is not going to thrill me. I've already had one bag vanish and with stowed electronics it's going to get worse.

US airlines presently do not cover the loss of electronics from checked luggage. This will be messy particularly for the infrequent traveler.

As an additional FYI, Atlanta presently does not have TSA Pre or Global Entry after you go through Customs and Immigration. One agent just shrugged and told me they are working on it......yeah sure.

For about $15 more over a 5 year period we got Global Entry which includes Customs.

It includes immigration too.

I'm all about the free market. Southwest manages to provide the lowest fares, no overbooking, free changes, and free checked bags. Cleaner, upgraded interiors, too. Flights are always full and they are profitable. In fact, I believe they are the largest domestic airline in the country.

You fell for that old marketing chestnut did you? hahah!

WN do also overbook and have the twelve largest airlines in the US had the third highest involuntary denied boarding rate in the US with 11 passengers per 100,000 enplanements during the 2013-2016 period. This is about 400% more than Delta, double that of American and 20% more than United.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/12/these-airlines-have-the-worst-records-for-bumping-passengers.html

But you know, keep drinking the KoolAid...I'll let someone else tackle the facts regarding their pretty dismal on time performance.

Edited by fbgd

Sorry, but current TSA "security" is nothing but a dog and pony security theater set up to make some people believe they are safe and secure. So much crap gets past the TSA smurfs that it begs the question is anything they offer real safety. They are given advance warning of tests and they still fail. No education past a GED is needed and they are given minimal training. A church friend took a job with TSA because it paid more than other local jobs. He quit because he couldn't stand the stupidity.

TSA is probably asking for food to be separated out now because they need something to eat on their breaks ;p At DCA, some yahoos tried to make me "voluntarily surrender" (yes, if you read their official line, they do not ever confiscate, you have the "choice" to give up the item, take it back to your car, or not fly) some heirloom tomatoes I bought that day at a farmer's market - he said they contain liquid and the entire thing could be turned into liquid. Idiot. Back in the mason-jar cupcake era a few years ago, smurfs were taking away some of those cupcakes, citing that the icing was too much a liquid. Want to bet those cupcakes made their way back to the break room instead of the hazardous item discard bins? Ever notice there is no security or hazmat procedures for all that confiscated stuff? If it was dangerous, why is it just tossed into a trash bin??? Think about it.

I've got GE, so if I'm at an airport with a PreCheck line, more times than not I get to bypass the "regular" folks and go to the PC line. I think it might be a promotion to work the PC line - they seem to be a tad more competent and polite than the barkers and authority-tripping clerks in the other lines...

I have booked American a bunch of times since the start of the year. I also booked basic economy or cheapest available and I have ALWAYS gotten to choose a seat.

There's a difference between the "basic economy" that is actually a particular fare class, and "cheapest available." "Basic economy" is only offered on select flights, so cheapest available might not be basic economy, and might therefore come with the ability to select a seat in advance, despite being a relatively cheap fare. Here's a link to AA's page where it clearly says that if you book the "basic economy" fare class, you won't get a seat assigned until check-in:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/basic-economy.jsp

We are in process for our SENTRI passes so I have researched this pretty thoroughly.

The government ABC agencies is pretty confusing. For the most part TSA is a separate agency unto itself. You have TSA pre-check it's only good for flying.

You have any "trusted traveler" program by CBP you are good for most land/sea/air travel. ICE doesn't really care about that stuff only what or who you are trying to smuggle in.

Any trusted traveler number issued by CBP will get you into the TSA pre-check, but not visa versa.

We just went for our SENTRI pass interview and it took about 15 minutes. Short interview (all though I overheard some pretty long ones), fingerprints, and photo. DW got approved for her interview in two weeks. I got approved after five months (go figure). She did her interview on Tuesday. I still have to schedule mine, which means a trip back to San Diego (oh darn).

SENTRI passes give you "fast pass" access at a few southern borders. From what we have seen it can mean the difference of five minutes to cross in the SENTRI lane vs an hour or more in the normal lane. Since we just bought a condo at Rosarito the SENTRI pass will save us a bunch of time. Only downside is your SENTRI pass is linked to your vehicle and everybody in the vehicle has to have a pass. So no rental car to go back and forth and no friends to hitch a ride. You can walk across.

SENTRI gave us access to Nexus and GE lanes. Nexus is along the Canadian land border.

My thought is if you don't cross Mexico or Canada frequently then go with the GE.

Some of these Trusted Traveler programs are open to non-US citizens and are accepted by some foreign countries for entry there.

Edited by jamesr3939

There's a difference between the "basic economy" that is actually a particular fare class, and "cheapest available."

Basic Economy?? Did any airline offering it LOWER a fare when instituting this fare class?

I don't think so, just a device to get you to purchase the higher fare or additional services like adding a checked bag.

You still get your meal with the majors bringing those back to economy cabin on transcons.

Basic Economy?? Did any airline offering it LOWER a fare when instituting this fare class?

I don't think so, just a device to get you to purchase the higher fare or additional services like adding a checked bag.

This is not as interesting observation as your expressing of it makes it seem. It is very common to trade off a higher price increase for a combination of a lower price increase plus a decrease in service. It is just plain ol' inflation.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

My wife and I have Nexus cards. We get TSA Pre check, Global Entry, priority Canada land border crossing, and priority airport Canada Customs. $50 for 5 years. Personal interview at Canada border required.