Celebrity not stopping at Labadee?

DaveEasternPenn

Searched a number of Celebrity's Western Caribbean itineraries for Spring, 2018 and could not find one that stopped at Labadee. Labadee was one of our favorite stops. Does anyone know what happened. Did I miss some of the itineraries?

I asked the same question of an on board cruise sales rep and she told me Celebrity was no longer stopping at Labadee. I was very disappointed and asked why. She told me so many passengers complained on passenger surveys that they did not enjoy Labadee.

My only response is that we who do enjoy Labadee must make our opinions clearly known to Celebrity and not let the complainers out vote us on this matter.

Labadee was leased by RCL as a low cost port (with a captive audience to purchase food/trinkets). It was/is a way for the cruise lines to increase their profit. The previous posters are correct...some like the port...a day on a generally uncrowded beach. To others, like ourselves, who may not be beach people or want to pay for a day at the beach (we live at one of the top beaches in the US), we would prefer a day at sea or visiting a location where we can get off and leisurely walk around shopping, etc. We try to avoid cruises that stop at Labadee or Half Moon Cay (holland america's equivalent).

For those that like Labadee, RCL is an excellent alternative.

I'm surprised. Labadee was our favorite port on the Western itinerary. 2nd favorite was Grand Cayman, not so much for Falmouth and Cozumel. The beach at Columbus Cove was outstanding, the lunch prepared and served by the Celebrity staff was delicious, the shopping was interesting, and we took an excursion once to a sandbar in the bay that was totally relaxing. Very disappointed.

Although I have not visited Labadee, the world can be divided into 2 classes - those who love beaches and those who hate them. I am in the 2nd group. I can take maybe 5 minutes of beach time and I then get bored out of my skull. In general.I book cruises with as little beach time as possible.

DON

a beautiful relaxing port!! I will miss it. Never needed to spend a penny. All the food was included and for those with drink packages..they were covered too. Columbus Cove was fabulous

A comment above about living bear a beach... well only a small portion of the population in NA do

I only been to Labadee once, which was on the Silhouette, a few years ago. Found it to be one my favorite cruise line only ports.

Only thing I spent money on, and it was optional, was the zip-line. Was a lot of fun :cool: Would do again.

It's a shame they are dropping it.

The last time we were at Labadee on RCCL, there was so much trash on the ocean side that it was impossible to go in the water without having to dodge thousands of pieces of plastic. This was after the earthquake and most of the trash was emergency water bags. Sadly, Haiti is the poorest and most mismanaged country in the Western Hemisphere. I wouldn't go back. Don't even want to get started about Cap Haiten on the east side of the hill.

We love labadee and CocoCay but we are beach people-love laying on Caribbean beaches (and we live in SW Florida and go to the beach all the time!)

I did notice that our next Western Itin is not going, but at least we get to go to Labadee on Harmony this Dec.

Sorry, I don't agree. I'd rather sail on a Celebrity ship even though we are Diamond Plus level on Royal Caribbean.

But since Celebrity will match your Royal Caribbean status, I do not see how that enters into the equation.

But since Celebrity will match your Royal Caribbean status, I do not see how that enters into the equation.

The recognition does not transfer at the same level in the higher tiers. D+ on RCL is equivalent to Elite+ on X, however a D+ cruiser will only be recognized as Elite. Elite+ cruiser on X will receive D benefits on Royal.

Count us in the anti-Labadee group. We were there some years ago. Despite the fact that we consider ourselves as "beach people", Labadee was one of the worst ports we've ever been to.

Perhaps it has improved since we were there in 2009, but remember "you only get one chance to make a first impression". Our first impression has had us put Labadee on our "never again" list.

Have been to Labadee many times (mostly with Royal) and enjoyed every visit. Not a beach person by any means, but it's free, an easy walk and relatively clean. Last time we were there on Anthem the Oasis was also in port. Almost 10,000 combined passengers and didn't feel overcrowded. Usually swim, enjoy lunch and head back to ship by 1pm. Construction of pier and roadway were big improvements. Am skeptical that survey results could have possibly been so bad as to make X drop port. Parent Royal makes a lot of money on waverunners, zip line, water park, etc. Those who don't care for beach have the benefit of an empty ship all to themselves.

Count me in as someone who likes Labdee. It has definitely improved over the years. Although you are a captive audience you do not have to spend money. Lunch is free and you can use the drink package so you don't lose half a day while in port. Getting off and on is also quite simple. I also liked Barefoot Beach for suite guests.

RC does over charge for the cabanas but I guess they will if people buy them. On Celebrity's website the cost of the cabana rental was a lot less than RC... go figure.

I wonder if Labdee was dropped because of scheduling with the 4 Oasis class ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...

We are very disappointed that Celebrity is not calling at Labadee. Great beach, very relaxing, no worrying about how to get to the beach or being overcharged for a beach day excursion from the ship and then having to pay for an umbrella and overpriced, not great food when you get there. We love the beach so much I would have booked a cruise in a heartbeat if it had an overnight at Labadee.

I always prefer going to a place which has its own natural beauty rather than a place that has it's attraction manufactured. We have always been less than overwhelmed at Labadee when cruising with RCI. Different strokes for different folks.

Enjoy your cruising days.

Prefer Labadee to the Mexican ports and the Dominican Republic. Hope to see it back on Celebrity's schedule in the future.

Labadee and the Dominican Republic are the two stops we will NEVER get off at. Maybe now the Jamaican authorities will fix the problem. Bravo to Celebrity and RC for taking a stand.

Labadee and the Dominican Republic are the two stops we will NEVER get off at. Maybe now the Jamaican authorities will fix the problem. Bravo to Celebrity and RC for taking a stand.

??? ... What does Labdee and DR have to with Jamaica? If anything Celebrity is losing money not stopping at Labdee. Money spent there goes back to the cruise line.

I imagine it has to do more with scheduling 3 (almost 4) Oasis class ships that all stop in Labadee rather than Celebrity passenger feedback. They typically only dock 1 ship per day now. I wouldn't want to be there with 6,000 Oasis passengers and another 3,000 Celebrity guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums