Toilet paper question. - China

Shmoo here

I did a land trip to china about 12 years ago. Always had toilet paper with me and needed it. I don't know if it's the same now but if I was travelling there I would be taking some with me for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were with Uniworld staying in Ritz Carltons and Shangria La hotels along with the boat. Never necessary to have or procure outside toilet papers.

On some of the tours, where only Chinese facilities were available, people were encouraged to bring their own . NWSF, the hotel and/or ship papers were good. So, if you're not on Uniworld, who are you touring with so that those experienced cruisers can reply.

We were with Uniworld staying in Ritz Carltons and Shangria La hotels along with the boat. Never necessary to have or procure outside toilet papers.

On some of the tours, where only Chinese facilities were available, people were encouraged to bring their own . NWSF, the hotel and/or ship papers were good. So, if you're not on Uniworld, who are you touring with so that those experienced cruisers can reply.

It'll be with Vantage. But we're staying at some of those same hotels.

I think I'll just bring a small supply. If nothing else, it's handy to blow my nose.

I would strongly recommend it. If you're sticking to the large cities (Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai) you should be able to find stocked, western style bathrooms. But if you go outside those major cities, you might be out of luck if you don't have your own supply. Also, be prepared for squat toilets in a lot of places, and if you see a waste basket beside the toilet, put your used toilet paper into that, not the toilet. Hope you have a great trip!

I would strongly recommend it. If you're sticking to the large cities (Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai) you should be able to find stocked, western style bathrooms. But if you go outside those major cities, you might be out of luck if you don't have your own supply. Also, be prepared for squat toilets in a lot of places, and if you see a waste basket beside the toilet, put your used toilet paper into that, not the toilet. Hope you have a great trip!

We were in Beijing and Shanghai on a land tour around 4 years ago. My DW found it more convenient to carry on her bag some toilet paper to avoid worrying its availability in public toilets.

OK, you've convinced me. I'll lay in a supply. We are going other places besides major cities.

We just got back from our Viking tour (South Korea, China, Tibet and Japan) and only about 50% of the public toilets had paper. I took travel packs of Kleenex with me everywhere and shared with others on occasion. They also came in handy towards the end of the trip when everyone caught colds. Great trip!

All our hotels in China had good toilet paper and I took some with me every morning. Sooner or later it was needed, but of course, you can bring your own favorite brand from home. I also take hand wipes in convenient travel packs on all trips including at home. I like them better than hand sanitizing gels.

Squat public toilets with the paper bucket were the normal state of public facilities all over China. We travelled in the hinterlands as well as in metropolitan areas. Sometimes, they had western style toilets marked as 'handicapped' and locked. The attendant would unlock them, but she had her cleaning supplies in them. The architects had forgotten to include a supply closet in the brand new restroom facilities on the interstate system in the vast Chinese western provinces.

On your ship and in your hotels, you will have tp. Where you will need it is while you are touring, especially popular public places, such as the Great Wall, famous gardens. We found that if it serves the great masses it does not supply paper and has a hole in the ground, and if it serves the privileged few, it had paper and was a standard toilet, generally speaking. I am happy I brought extra, as there were 2 ladies traveling together who every single day bummed tp off of someone in the group. By the 12th day of touring around I was amazed that they still didn't bring some along when we headed out in the morning, every day it was as if they were surprised by the lack of tp all over again.

:') How ever do we survive over here?

My German friends have done an analysis of US expats, and apparently if you are a "wadder", you hate European toilet paper. If you are a folder, you think its the best thing in the entire world. It's pretty much the first thing they ask newcomers.

I lived in Germany for four years and have traveled to 70 countries, including all the continents except Antartica. In my opinion, the only reason to take tp with you is just in case there is NO tp in the toiled facility. That is especially a problem in third world countries.

My German friends have done an analysis of US expats, and apparently if you are a "wadder", you hate European toilet paper. If you are a folder, you think its the best thing in the entire world. It's pretty much the first thing they ask newcomers.

I've lived abroad for over 7 years and I can't say that I've ever thought much about toilet paper or heard American expats complaining about the toliet paper. They complain blue murder about many things that are different over here, but TP so far hasn't made the list.

That said, I'm highly amused when I buy toilet paper because it says "recycled toilet paper" and that's just... wrong.

When we were in China with Viking, I kept a small roll of toilet paper from the hotel rolled up tight and put in my front pants pocket. I only ended up using it a couple of times, but I'm a guy. My wife used hers more often.

They have signs in the stalls showing pictorially that your used toilet paper should go in the trash can next to the toilet and not in the toilet itself. We ignored these signs.

In New Zealand last year, we saw just the opposite signs. There were signs telling you not to put the toilet paper in the trashcan. This was for the Chinese guests.

A few years ago, I bought travel TP at Target that had a nice plastic cover. I couldn't find more at Target so I bought a case from Amazon. I might have it forever, but I always travel with a little pod in my purse - that plastic cover is great, keeps the condensation from the water bottle in my purse from messing it up or it being unraveled etc in my bag. Do I always need it? No. Am I super glad I have it when I *DO* need it? Absolutely!!!

I can't find the Charmin anymore but there are other brands on Amazon (and other places) that have the plastic covers....

(I also travel with tissues because I have environmental allergies - but I find the TP easier to use when a squatty potty is involved, as has been the case in various parts of Asia & Africa....) And I travel with wipes of various sorts. And pills. Basically, I'm a traveling pharmacy. Have been trying to cut down, but then you forget that one thing you need that you can't get nearby, and....(that, obviously, depends on what you might need and where specifically you are traveling)

I think the previous posters have convinced you to take some TP with you but I could not let your question go without adding my 2 cents. I traveled to China with work for 12 straight years. 1. Even at our plant which was US standard built the TP was put in the waste basket. 2. Many of the toilets outside of US type hotels or "Western" fast food restaurants did not have TP and were holes in the floor/ground of some type. 3. All of the Chinese Nationals always carried travel size tissue paper with them whenever we went out. Based on that I would highly suggest carrying some TP. One suggestion is to take that cardboard tubing out of the TP and it will flatten out. Especially, if it only a partial roll. When I was traveling there I would use the TP at home about 1/2 way and replace it with a new roll. Then I would have several partial rolls to take with me. Happy traveling.

First time that I encountered the "put the used tp in the trash" was in Greece in 1985. I was told that the sewage system was not built to handle the tp.

Yes, and you shouldn't ignore it. It is not a cultural thing.

First time that I encountered the "put the used tp in the trash" was in Greece in 1985. I was told that the sewage system was not built to handle the tp.

It's still like that in much of Greece.

Definitely bring your own tissues/ tp for reasons other people mentioned. I would also recommend to bring sanitizing wipes, hand sanitizer, or a bit of hand soap. Soap flakes or soap sheets in a small container are good options because they won't leak in any bags. (I've heard some places away from metropolitan areas may not provide hand soap.) You also wouldn't want to be stuck in a gross situation if some place ran out of soap anyway.