Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

58 minutes ago, copper004 said:

Are short and/or t-shirts frowned upon in the evening on the ship? I understand not in the dining venues, but what about after dinner???

Yes.

You be very out of place in shorts and t-shirt after dinner unless you are in your cabin.

Wear a golf shirt and casual pants--that will take you anywhere on the ship after dinner. Shows, bars, etc.

55 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Yes.

You be very out of place in shorts and t-shirt after dinner unless you are in your cabin.

Wear a golf shirt and casual pants--that will take you anywhere on the ship after dinner. Shows, bars, etc.

Thanks! 👍🏼

We traveled in colder months so I don’t know about shorts and t-shirts. But on some evenings after long days excursioning, we didn’t feel like changing out of jeans, and we were fine in the more casual World Café for dinner. We were also fine afterward in the Explorer’s Lounge or one of the many onboard nooks and crannies for reading or chatting, like the seats alongside the Wintergarden. We didn’t attend most of the shows, and we didn’t visit Torshavn in the evening; we probably would’ve dressed up a bit (changed into slacks) for those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, copper004 said:

Are short and/or t-shirts frowned upon in the evening on the ship? I understand not in the dining venues, but what about after dinner???

I don’t think anyone with Viking will frown. Other guests perhaps but if you are comfortable being in the minority then I say have at it…it is your holiday and you won’t be breaking any rules.  😊

• Like 5

From a VERY recent Viking Daily:

Evening attire is elegant casual for all dining venues, performances and special events; there are no "formal nights" in the evening.  Required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt.  A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted.  The evening dress excludes the World Cafe where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM.

In the tropics, when returning late from being ashore, I wore shorts & golf shirt to the World Cafe for a late dinner a couple of nights. After dinner, we returned to the cabin, as I would not walk around the ship wearing shorts & runners, in the evening.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, zelker said:

Does anyone happen to have a list of Salon Services with prices (for Ocean, if that makes a difference).

Thx.

From a June 18, 2019 post associated with the Viking 19/20 World Cruise: #397, so the prices are likely out of date, but it gives you an idea of some of the services offered.

Prices are as follows.

Women’s - mani &59/pedi $69/

wash, cut, blow dry $75 - $80 - $85 (depending on hair length)

Men’s - mani $35/pedi $69

haircut - $39

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, zelker said:

Have tried searching both the Viking website and here and can't find a phone number for the ship (Orion) in case someone needs to reach us in an emergency.  Anybody??

It will be provided in your cruise docs which will be e-mailed to you about 2 week prior to departure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, zelker said:

Have tried searching both the Viking website and here and can't find a phone number for the ship (Orion) in case someone needs to reach us in an emergency.  Anybody??

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It will be provided in your cruise docs which will be e-mailed to you about 2 week prior to departure.

Thank you Zelker for asking the question and thank you Peregrina651 for the response.  In registering travel plans in the STEP Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (https://step.state.gov) amongst the information requested is:

“* Please provide at least one complete address and/or phone number where the U.S. Embassy can reach you while traveling abroad in the case of an emergency.”

So I too was trying to figure out emergency contact information while on the ship because I’m not sure my cell phone will be functional. Although I will be on the Viking Star rather than the Orion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zelker said:

We are sailing on Viking Orion tomorrow 10/20/21 and just received an email from Viking with contact information: 

Viking Travel Emergency Hotline: +1-877-523-0576

The Viking Travel Emergency Hotline is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you. Please call this number only while in transit to your ship. 

For all other questions, contact your Travel Advisor or Viking at +1-855-338-4546.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zelker said:

Thanks.  But not sure this would be the number family would call to reach us on the ship in an emergency.  

No, it is not. That is the number to call if you run into problems in transit. It is answered by the land-based Viking call center.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 1:08 PM, zelker said:

Does anyone happen to have a list of Salon Services with prices (for Ocean, if that makes a difference).

Thx.

Here's a better response courtesy of JHBertram on the Viking Star: 2021-22 World Cruise - December 24, 2021 CC Board #163Includes photo of salon services and price list from 2020.  Prices might be different for 2021.
image.png.67178b5d4979b4f0d6d24d2bcd53b55d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deec said:

Viking used to send fun gifts after a cruise...I haven't seen that in a long time.  If you forget a bag or don't have room there are always some for sale in the gift shop.

Seabourn bestows gift along the way, usually related to the itinerary.  Too bad Viking doesn't do that.  And the LAST thing I need is yet another bag!  😆

As I remember it is not marked as far as .25/.5 etc....there is a sign somewhere about how many laps /mile if JeriGail says 1/4 per lap I believe it.  Usually one way traffic/ walkers and runners sharing same space.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JeriGail said:

One lap is a quarter mile.

52 minutes ago, deec said:

As I remember it is not marked as far as .25/.5 etc....there is a sign somewhere about how many laps /mile if JeriGail says 1/4 per lap I believe it.  Usually one way traffic/ walkers and runners sharing same space.

JeriGail is 100% correct ... I found this on Viking's website (after I asked here, of course 😉). 

Thanks, ladies!

image.png.b9db8c867724d74caf502d1be81f1841.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1