Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

9 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Bob - did you see the post nearer to the top of this page about using the "Book Now" button on the web page for this cruise to look and see which other cabins are available for a certain category?  You can use it to look for DV cabins on the port side or ones that more aft.

Yes, I was just about to use it.  Thanks, Bob

ps - The link is not working right now!

Edited by CTBob

1 hour ago, CTBob said:

Yes, I was just about to use it.  Thanks, Bob

ps - The link is not working right now!

This sounds like such a fun group on this cruise (Barcelona to San Juan)!   Makes us want to take it.  Would be our 5th VOC.  I'm still a little concerned that fall 2021 is a little early, but this cruise sure has a fantastic itinerary (except they don't go to Lisbon!).  The wife doesn't want to be in masks the whole trip!  And don't know how long that will be in effect when Viking opens up again.

On the other hand, We're so anxious to get back out to sea again!  Even if we had to take all the Viking Excursions that would be fine!  Who knows how long we all have anyways.   We enjoy joining you all.  May have to call our TA before August 31.  That free air is  a big deal for sure.  May also have to do that trick people talked about to see what cabins are available by pretending to book a room on the Viking site 🙂

I hope that before Aug 31 it is still a "risk-free" booking.... 

So loved Barcelona  and San Juan as well when we were the on 2 separate cruises in 2019.  Gosh, that seems so long ago!

Edited by CCWineLover

9 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

This sounds like such a fun group on this cruise (Barcelona to San Juan)!   Makes us want to take it.  Would be our 5th VOC.  I'm still a little concerned that fall 2021 is a little early, but this cruise sure has a fantastic itinerary (except they don't go to Lisbon!).  The wife doesn't want to be in masks the whole trip!  And don't know how long that will be in effect when Viking opens up again.

On the other hand, We're so anxious to get back out to sea again!  Even if we had to take all the Viking Excursions that would be fine!  Who knows how long we all have anyways.   We enjoy joining you all.  May have to call our TA before August 31.  That free air is  a big deal for sure.  May also have to do that trick people talked about to see what cabins are available by pretending to book a room on the Viking site 🙂

I hope that before Aug 31 it is still a "risk-free" booking.... 

So loved Barcelona  and San Juan as well when we were the on 2 separate cruises in 2019.  Gosh, that seems so long ago!

I know Viking is not like other cruise lines, but I'm comforted somewhat by what other lines are proposing for COVID cruising - wearing masks when distancing isn't possible such as embarkation or when on elevators, but using distancing in most cases.

1 minute ago, JeriGail said:

Do senior Viking staff such as the executive chef tend to stay on the same ship, or do they move around?

Can’t speak for any executive chefs, but I know the Restaurant Manager John (the Scot) has moved around. He was on our first TA on Sky, then our second on Sea and was on the World Cruise aboard Sun this past year.  Similar situation with Camiel the General Manager on our last cruise, Sky Transatlantic this past March.  He had been on Sea the previous March but was officially an assistant as he was transitioning into the (what was then called) Hotel Manager role.  He took over full-fledged when the next cruise aboard started. 

I suspect that like airline folks, they bid for positions as their contracts are winding down.  Given the ships are all the same, I suspect it is more of what is available and it is some place I would like to visit. 

We had wonderful people on our cruise on the Sun.  Now Clay has given me hope that some of them might be on this cruise.  I can only hope!  We called this group our "Dream Team".  VIcky (Cruise Director), John (Is this John the Scot?) (Food Manager), Agneska (Purser) and Nikolay (Beverage Manager).  Missing from the picture is Jeffrey (Restaurant Manager).  I remember them all fondly but I'm sure I have messed up Agneska's name.  I never got it right!  CTBob

P1030032 (2) (Medium).JPG

Edited by CTBob
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JeriGail said:

Do senior Viking staff such as the executive chef tend to stay on the same ship, or do they move around?

We were on the Jupiter in October last year, and then again in Dec/Jan.  I don’t remember seeing ANY new staff between the 2 trips, regardless of position.  

you were so lucky to do 2 cruises so close together and before MARCH!!!!

I have not sailed with Sr. Officers a second time but it is so wonderful when crew make an effort to seek you out to say hi from another cruise....I am sure Viking gives them a list but they still manage to do it!!!!

On 8/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, CTBob said:

We had wonderful people on our cruise on the Sun.  Now Clay has given me hope that some of them might be on this cruise.  I can only hope!  We called this group our "Dream Team".  VIcky (Cruise Director), John (Is this John the Scot?) (Food Manager), Agneska (Purser) and Nikolay (Beverage Manager).  Missing from the picture is Jeffrey (Restaurant Manager).  I remember them all fondly but I'm sure I have messed up Agneska's name.  I never got it right!  CTBob

P1030032 (2) (Medium).JPG

That’s John!  I’m blanking on his last name but was so nice to us and especially my DMIL.  It was her first Viking cruise and we had told her about the wonderful lobster we had.  Of course, on this cruise rather than being split lobster the menu was calling for lobster tail à la something or another.  DMIL mentioned to John The day before how much she had been looking forward to the split lobster she had heard about and wished it was being served instead of the tail.  Next night at dinner...you quessed it-Voila!

40C48D5B-C6CD-4BD5-ACEC-CD7788E37DE4.jpeg

C49F6A9E-AD64-4A2D-AFCC-C4F0D2B2322C.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/29/2020 at 6:04 PM, deec said:

you were so lucky to do 2 cruises so close together and before MARCH!!!!

I have not sailed with Sr. Officers a second time but it is so wonderful when crew make an effort to seek you out to say hi from another cruise....I am sure Viking gives them a list but they still manage to do it!!!!

We haven’t had officers do that but we have been amazed at the servers who greet us by name! And remember little things when it’s usually been a year since we last were aboard. 

3D21A919-FED0-479F-9987-F57A42A14030.jpeg

B1C210AC-D60B-4E4B-BF34-621FB6A02D11.jpeg

• Like 2

I believe John’s surname is Cunningham.  

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

That’s John!  I’m blanking on his last name but was so nice to us and especially my DMIL.  It was her first Viking cruise and we had told her about the wonderful lobster we had.  Of course, on this cruise rather than being split lobster the menu was calling for lobster tail à la something or another.  DMIL mentioned to John The day before how much she had been looking forward to the split lobster she had heard about and wished it was being served instead of the tail.  Next night at dinner...you quessed it-Voila!

40C48D5B-C6CD-4BD5-ACEC-CD7788E37DE4.jpeg

C49F6A9E-AD64-4A2D-AFCC-C4F0D2B2322C.jpeg

• 8 months later...

First time VO cruiser booked on the July 27 Orion Bermuda trip. I will be travelling with my 84 year old father who has moderate senior dementia. I have a couple questions about the restrooms in the public areas of the ship:

1. Are they well marked and easy to find?  
  2. Are they generally available or are there often lines waiting to use them?

Our cabin is on deck 3 so it might not always be convenient to go back there when he needs to use one.

Restrooms in the public areas on the Viking Ocean cruise ships are plentiful and well marked and always spotless. Never ever any lines. This will be especially true on your cruise since the ship will only be at half capacity. We live in Indialantic and will be on the Bermuda cruise just before yours. Go to the Orion Message Boards to see more specific discussions about your cruise. There are currently several active topics. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SRHall64 said:

First time VO cruiser booked on the July 27 Orion Bermuda trip. I will be travelling with my 84 year old father who has moderate senior dementia. I have a couple questions about the restrooms in the public areas of the ship:

Our cabin is on deck 3 so it might not always be convenient to go back there when he needs to use one.

They are well marked and I’ve never encountered lines except after a show in the theatre. 

The only ones that I think a lot of folks don’t know about are at the Aquavit Terrace (stern of the ship). There is a single user men’s room on the starboard side under the stairs almost behind the waiter’s station. Women’s is same location on port. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SRHall64 said:

I never saw a line for any restroom. Viking ships aren’t crowded, unlike some competitors’. 

We figured out pretty quickly where the restrooms were, and there are handy maps next to the various elevators. You can also just ask anyone. We found people to be very helpful and friendly. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

There is one restroom that has birds chirping.  I hope that doesn't surprise/confuse your father. If I remember correctly, it's on the deck with the Living Room, a popular place for people to relax, meet, etc.

I believe all of the public restrooms (save the little known ones I described earlier on the Aquavit Terrace) have this sound effect (or alternatively one of ocean waves crashing). If you happen to be in the staterooms above the ones outside the theatre, you can sometimes hear them in your stateroom bathroom too! 😂

I realized there is one other set of public toilets that are sorta hard to find sometimes. These are the ones for The Restaurant. They are located just aft of the fire door as you exit  from the dining room on the port side-entrance to The Restaurant is on starboard. The fire door is typically held open when the dining room is operating but is closed when it is not. But, if one walks up to this door, it opens automatically and the restrooms are “right there”. This is on Deck 2 and is the easiest restroom to use while walking the promenade. Or working on the public jigsaw puzzle. 

One other thought, at most of the restroom locations there is a single use accessible restroom. These have automatic doors. One has to push a button on the exterior for the door to open and then (as I recall) lock them from the interior by pushing a button. To exit you have to push another button. Depending on your Dad’s issues, those might be complicated to use. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I never saw a line for any restroom. Viking ships aren’t crowded, unlike some competitors’. 

We figured out pretty quickly where the restrooms were, and there are handy maps next to the various elevators. You can also just ask anyone. We found people to be very helpful and friendly. 

Thanks for the information! Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue for my dad.

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I believe all of the public restrooms (save the little known ones I described earlier on the Aquavit Terrace) have this sound effect (or alternatively one of ocean waves crashing). If you happen to be in the staterooms above the ones outside the theatre, you can sometimes hear them in your stateroom bathroom too! 😂

I realized there is one other set of public toilets that are sorta hard to find sometimes. These are the ones for The Restaurant. They are located just aft of the fire door as you exit  from the dining room on the port side-entrance to The Restaurant is on starboard. The fire door is typically held open when the dining room is operating but is closed when it is not. But, if one walks up to this door, it opens automatically and the restrooms are “right there”. This is on Deck 2 and is the easiest restroom to use while walking the promenade. Or working on the public jigsaw puzzle. 

One other thought, at most of the restroom locations there is a single use accessible restroom. These have automatic doors. One has to push a button on the exterior for the door to open and then (as I recall) lock them from the interior by pushing a button. To exit you have to push another button. Depending on your Dad’s issues, those might be complicated to use. 

Thanks for the great information!  Dad shouldn't have an issue with the piped in sounds but the buttons would confuse him.

17 hours ago, Mav&Rowdy said:

Restrooms in the public areas on the Viking Ocean cruise ships are plentiful and well marked and always spotless. Never ever any lines. This will be especially true on your cruise since the ship will only be at half capacity. We live in Indialantic and will be on the Bermuda cruise just before yours. Go to the Orion Message Boards to see more specific discussions about your cruise. There are currently several active topics. 

Thanks for letting me know!  I have been following the Roll Calls for the other departures.  I didn't find one for our date so I started one but there hasn't been any activity since.  At least I'm learning much from the discussions on the other ones.

44 minutes ago, SRHall64 said:

Thanks for the great information!  Dad shouldn't have an issue with the piped in sounds but the buttons would confuse him.

They confused me!  One time I thought I was locked in.  LOL. Another time I was in a “rush” and forgot to lock the door and of course you can guess what happened. 😳

• Like 1

Couple of questions for 1st time Viking for Iceland - 

-do you need reservations for the "Kitchen Table", if so, on board? And what exactly is it. 

-for the Spa, do people wear their bathing suits from staterooms to the spa, or is it customary to change in the locker room? 

-if you are doing a back to back, how do you get your belongings from one room to another? Do you have to leave the ship to zero it out? 

-is the infinity pool heated in colder cruises? 

Thank you in advance!