Live from the Ruby. Inside passage with Glacier Bay.

NeurosurgeryNP

Platinum cruiser and this is my first Alaskan cruise. All prior on Princess have been in the Caribbean with my husband. I am crusing with my Mom and Sister- no boys allowed lol. We arrived in Seattle on Thursday and stayed at the Grand Hyatt Seattle (free on points). Visited the Space Needle of course and Pike Market as this was our first time in Seattle.

I am still on east coast time and thus woke up bright and cheery eyed Saturday morning at 6 am! I am doing my best to stay up late tonight as we go back an hour tonight for Alaskan Daylight Savings time. Check in Saturday morning was a breeze. Arrived at the terminal about 11:45 am via shuttle from the hotel (contacted by the hotel, signed up at the concierge and paid $11 pp which included tax and tip - although we gave the gentleman extra as he had to deal with out luggage, a lot of it) and was on the ship by noon. The general boarding groups were already boarding and we went right through the preferred boarding line. Went right to our room, dropped our stuff off and went right to Davinci's for lunch. Standard embarkation lunch menu, but very good (the tenderloin was amazing) and empty as many don't know of this gem for lunch the first day.

Went back to our room and our luggage had arrived rather quickly and unpacked. We are in R342, port side just about mid ship. Huge balcony (when compared even to our mini suite on the Regal in March which was half the size I feel).

We spent the sailaway on deck 16 and a beautiful one it was with the Seattle skyline in the view.

We have anytime dining and got into the line for general seating at Davinci's which opened at 7:30. Although the line was long, it moved very fast once the doors opened. Dinner service was great. We had three courses relatively fast as we were seated at our own table. I had the Alaskan cod over warm lentil salad and it was fantastic. Mom and Sister had the prime rib and they it was great too.

More later.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

It was a mellow first night, with many of the passengers traveling on the day of sailaway. The age mix is wonderful. Many people my age and younger (I'm 42) and suprisingly many kids for an Alaskan sailing (more than I thought would be anyways). Lots of Asian folks on this cruise. The cruise prior to us apparently was a Chinese charter with 2500+ Chinese folks.

Sea today and and I'm really enjoying the North to Alaska program so far, as well as the cultural enrichment programs. Went to the Captain Jack Moran talk, a Bering Sea fisherman and enjoyed the stories and photographs he shared. We booked Crab shack tonight.

It was a mellow first night, with many of the passengers traveling on the day of sailaway. The age mix is wonderful. Many people my age and younger (I'm 42) and suprisingly many kids for an Alaskan sailing (more than I thought would be anyways). Lots of Asian folks on this cruise. The cruise prior to us apparently was a Chinese charter with 2500+ Chinese folks.

Sea today and and I'm really enjoying the North to Alaska program so far, as well as the cultural enrichment programs. Went to the Captain Jack Moran talk, a Bering Sea fisherman and enjoyed the stories and photographs he shared. We booked Crab shack tonight.

We had 550 kids on our Alaskan cruise once. We've found the demographic to skew much younger in June and July, and much older from August and Sept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love this report! I will be getting on the Ruby next Saturday when you are leaving! Thanks for the tip on the Bering Sea fisherman talks. I will be looking for those things for the sea day. We are a group of 6, with myself, my kids in their 20's, and my parents. I can't wait!

Great start to your report. Did you say on your first sea day they have someone talking about what to expect in Alaska? Like giving tips for each port?

They had North to Alaska enrichment lectures and naturalist talks. The port and shopping talk talked briefly on what to expect outside of the shopping.

Back aboard the ship. Nice day in Juneau today and typical rainy day. Did the ship's tour for whale watching and salmon bake. Was amazing. We saw several whales and even a whale breaching. One whale was even feeding right near our boat in the dock and we had to wait to leave. Salmon bake was yummy at the Gold Creek Salmon Bake site. All you can eat. Got the tour bus back into town and walked around town for a bit. Stopped at Tracy's Crab Shack and split a king crab leg and it was delicious. We had Crab Shack on the ship last night and it didn't compare with Tracy's. Not even close.

One thing I noticed during my first US tour (not Caribbean) that not one tour leader hinted at tips at all. Found this odd. But we tipped nonetheless. The US obviously has standards for pay.

The North to Alaska Series last night was Iditarod Champion Libby Riddles. It was an amazing talk about her sled racing.

Skagway today. We will be doing the Klondike Lairsville tour then my sister and I will be going on the glacier discovery helicopter tour. Have been very excited for this.

We will be doing the Klondike Lairsville tour then my sister and I will be going on the glacier discovery helicopter tour. Have been very excited for this.

We did this on our first cruise to Alaska, it was phenomenal. Enjoy!

One thing I noticed during my first US tour (not Caribbean) that not one tour leader hinted at tips at all. Found this odd. But we tipped nonetheless. The US obviously has standards for pay.

It might be more that US tour guides do not have the culture of begging for tips like exists is some other parts of the world, but still expect a tip to be offered.

In Belize where all ships anchor and passengers must take tenders to shore, the local tenders are used and the tender personnel point out the tip box that exists.

Thinking of exact same excursions as you have enjoyed so far. Whale watch and heli to glacier at top of our list. Still nervous about heli ride (very claustrophobic). Can you share more info of your adventure?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoy making some great memories with your mom and sister on this girls only cruise!

Thanks for sharing your experiences aboard ship and on the excursions. Looking forward to reading more of your postings.

Glacier Bay yesterday. It was amazing. Completely amazing. Today was Skagway. We did the ship's tour - Wilderness exploration and crab feast and it was a feast!!! Amazing all you can eat Dungeness crab. The tour guides and lodge staff were amazing. Second formal night tonight. Our first as we did crab Shack on the first night. The cruise has been amaxing. The crew has been fantastic.