Late passport

sdf89

We are cruising to Mexico in November and my passport expires at the end of December. Does anyone know about Mexico's passport requirements?

Only requirement is that it's valid at time of entry. Here are some good resources.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/six-month-passport-validity-rule/

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html

Thank you!

I thought it was the same, but wasn't positive.

Also can not be a Washington State drivers license unless you pay for the upgrade. Washington State has decided not to require the level of residency documentation required by the federal government so WA licenses can't be used for travel ID with the TSA.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Forums mobile app

I am going to sound like a newbie traveller, and I'm not, but I know for Caribbean cruises, you can cruise without a passport.

We are going on an Alaskan cruise next month - is that treated the same way? (I once was very familiar with the rules for a friend who did not have a passport, but I haven't had to think about it in quite some time, and now I'm just curious...)

You can't leave by air in the middle of he cruise without a passport ....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the old days, I walked into the passport office in DC one day and my passport was in my mailbox the next day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did that with our first passports in 1984, but we actually walked out with them in our hands.

What if you are US citizen and the port where you want to leave is Juneau, AK?

Generally, you really can't get off the ship just because you want to get off in Juneau.

If you have to be evacuated and go to Seattle you probably would be ok.

If they have to send you to Vancouver, that could be problematic.

Generally, you really can't get off the ship just because you want to get off in Juneau.

If you have to be evacuated and go to Seattle you probably would be ok.

If they have to send you to Vancouver, that could be problematic.

Actually, you can leave the ship whenever you want to, at any port. The cruise lines don't like it....can make it difficult.

It might mean a PVSA fine and a lot of other grief, but a cruise ship is not a prison barge.

So if you left the ship in Juneau, as a US citizen with valid ID (not a passport), you would not need a passport to fly to another US destination.

my bf's passport too about 6 weeks from us shipping it off until we got it yesterday, not expedited. it only took that long because they sent a request for more pictures, they did not like the one AAA took the first time, so BF had to go get AAA to take more pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to sound like a newbie traveller, and I'm not, but I know for Caribbean cruises, you can cruise without a passport.

We are going on an Alaskan cruise next month - is that treated the same way? (I once was very familiar with the rules for a friend who did not have a passport, but I haven't had to think about it in quite some time, and now I'm just curious...)

I would never travel outside US without a passport. I take it ashore every time I go ashore. If something happened like an accident while in another country you will need it to get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DD passport renewal is late and will not have by the 6 day deadline before embarkation for cruise personalizer.

We're getting mixed messages and wondered if anyone else has experience with this.

TA says that she will still be fine, but will have a longer boarding process since cannot have a boarding pass.

An email from Princess seemed a bit sterner, citing the longer boarding process, but including those words can be "denied boarding".

I know probably just legalese, but wanted to see how others have found this.

Why is it I(and many others!) see things like this & am expected to be sympathetic? You HAD the time to do this! Why didn't you?? My Passport was due to expire in a few months prior to our cruise. I then got everything rolling & also paid for expedited delivery. Why didn't you? It's possible you MAY still be denied boarding. Make sure you have as much info. available to Princess to help. If you're still denied, well then, deal with the consequences & take that as a grain of salt and next time be prepared!

We are cruising to Mexico in November and my passport expires at the end of December. Does anyone know about Mexico's passport requirements?

Just get the renewal done NOW!! Stop wasting time asking pax for info. Do it now! Pay the expedited cost as well. Better safe than sorry should be the Mantra for ALL pax! If you also have not purchased insurance, why not? I saw what happened on a cruise with my spouse. He had developed medical issues. Luckily the insurance covered everything. He didn't have to leave the ship, but the bills still came out to $1500! What if he need evacuation? That could cost THOUSANDS!

Why is it I(and many others!) see things like this & am expected to be sympathetic? You HAD the time to do this! Why didn't you?? My Passport was due to expire in a few months prior to our cruise. I then got everything rolling & also paid for expedited delivery. Why didn't you? It's possible you MAY still be denied boarding. Make sure you have as much info. available to Princess to help. If you're still denied, well then, deal with the consequences & take that as a grain of salt and next time be prepared!

Look at the DATES of the posts you guys are responding to...

Look at the DATES of the posts you guys are responding to...

So? The thread was started in June not 3 years ago. Anyway if you're willing to gamble that nothing will happen to necessitate having a passport that's your thing. I never would step foot in a foreign country without one. If you miss the ship for any reason and the port agent didn't get it for you you'll have to go to a u.s. embassy to get a new one. No airline will fly you back to the u.s. without one.

So? The thread was started in June not 3 years ago. Anyway if you're willing to gamble that nothing will happen to necessitate having a passport that's your thing. I never would step foot in a foreign country without one. If you miss the ship for any reason and the port agent didn't get it for you you'll have to go to a u.s. embassy to get a new one. No airline will fly you back to the u.s. without one.

And ... no private plane will fly you back either ...