Its NOT ideal, but is it feasible?

shopnagain

I absolutely KNOW that in an ideal world, flying in the day before a cruise is best so, that being said, I'm not looking for opinions on what others do, what I should do, etc. I am just looking for advice if this is feasible. We are cruising out of Miami for the first time in January. I found a cheap flight the day before into FLL that I should've grabbed that day, but I waited two days and it tripled in price! I could fly in the following day (cruise day) direct, landing in Fort Lauderdale at 10:43am. Ship departs at 5 pm, so I'm assuming all aboard is around 3:30 or so. I have never traveled from FLL to Miami, so I'm not sure how long that will take. Its on a Friday if that makes a difference. If anyone can give me INFORMATION only, it would be appreciated. I'm not interested in hearing "we always fly in the day before" speech. Yes, I usually do that too, but again, its not always an ideal world. TIA :)

Have you called the cruise line and had them price it through their program (I forget what it's called)? The reason I ask is because it's generally about the same price, and then they will ensure you get on board. To me, that's really the only benefit to booking through them.

I have priced it out through Air2Sea. The cost isn't much more but there are connections to make. To me, that throws another potential obstacle in. And the timing is Really close! It comes in at around 12:45! But that is from Miami so .... IDK what to do!

It’s feasible if you don’t run into winter storm. We flew red eye flight out of California and arrived FLL around 10 am same day during our first cruise in January 2009. I didn’t get day off to fly out a day before the cruise. We went down to POM with GO airport shuttle after we cleaned up and put away our winter jackets that we’re wearing. We were on the ship by 11:30 am.

I hope you don't run into bad winter storm during you flight down to FLL. You know the weather and possible flight delay in where you live better than me.

There will probably be a couple dozen or more others on your flight also headed for a cruise.

As there is every day that ships sail.

Your flight is fine. Don't let a bunch of nervous nellies turn you into one as well.

As long as your flight departs on time and isn't delayed by weather or other issues, you would be able to make the ship. And as long as there are no major accidents on 95 which causes delays, you should be okay.

Once in an Uber, car service or taxi the drive is about 40 minutes during the middle of the day.

Are there no flights coming into MIA?

More than likely you and other's on that flight will make it with no problem...If there is an earlier nonstop flight available to take to FLL make the change...I would avoid any connecting or thru flights. We have easily flown in very early morning of cruise day from the west coast but always arrive before 9:00am or earlier. Best of luck and do have your transportation pre-arranged....While I'm not a fan of ship booked shuttles this might be an option to consider and worth the price...we have been on ships a few times where they would wait for their ground transportation booked transfers with RCI. Ask RCI it might give you some piece of mind to know just how late of a flight arrival you can have to book their transfers...just as a reference point if nothing else.

Are there no flights coming into MIA?

No direct flights from where I live, but I think I'll probably just have to go with the longer/ layover flights and go the day before. Then the added expense of a hotel room ....

I absolutely KNOW that in an ideal world, flying in the day before a cruise is best so, that being said, I'm not looking for opinions on what others do, what I should do, etc. I am just looking for advice if this is feasible. We are cruising out of Miami for the first time in January. I found a cheap flight the day before into FLL that I should've grabbed that day, but I waited two days and it tripled in price! I could fly in the following day (cruise day) direct, landing in Fort Lauderdale at 10:43am. Ship departs at 5 pm, so I'm assuming all aboard is around 3:30 or so. I have never traveled from FLL to Miami, so I'm not sure how long that will take. Its on a Friday if that makes a difference. If anyone can give me INFORMATION only, it would be appreciated. I'm not interested in hearing "we always fly in the day before" speech. Yes, I usually do that too, but again, its not always an ideal world. TIA :)

Are you really looking for information or validation to do something very risky?

If you depart/arrive on time because your flight is not delayed or cancelled due to bad wintry weather or mechanical issues, 10:43 AM is plenty of time to get to the baggage claim, collect your luggage and then get to the POM.

You are asking us to predict the future, the weather in New York in January and if your luggage gets lost on the day of your cruise, so I'm not sure what other information I can give you.

So...What is your backup plan if you miss the ship?

There will probably be a couple dozen or more others on your flight also headed for a cruise.

As there is every day that ships sail.

Your flight is fine. Don't let a bunch of nervous nellies turn you into one as well.

Uh...January...Upstate New York...connecting flights? Nervous Nellies? Really?

I've never been to Miami so I don't know how to judge how long it takes to drive there realistically.

There is constant traffic here in Miami. I know you are upstate, but I'm sure you know the LIE (Long Island Expressway) which they call a parking lot during rush hour and I find it easier to drive up there.

Without any accidents or traffic, it's a 40 minute drive for someone who knows where they are going.

If you are coming from upstate NY, in January, I would be very wary of trying to fly in the day of the cruise, especially if you cannot get a nonstop flight. If you were doing this in a warmer time of the year, it might work. All it will take is a flight delay and you could miss the cruise. I would seriously try to figure out a way to get there the day before so you have time to deal with any delay.

Thanks for all the input. It is a direct flight but I agree that the winters in upstate NY are just too unpredictable. I'm going to fly down the day before the cruise

Is Albany considered Upstate New York?

Southwest's schedule only goes to January 7, 2018, but they will extend their schedule for the rest of January on June 22nd.

I think paying the cost of the pre cruise hotel night is a small price for comfort. Add up the stress and cost if delayed. Easy decision.

Bad weather doesn't just have to hit New York to cause problems. Remember the shooting at FLL this past Jan.? We had our flight cancelled from Milwaukee. .luckily we planned the extra night. Lots missed their cruises. And on the way home two weeks later we couldn't land in Atlanta for our connection due to hurricanes. We spent a night in Charlotte. So... stuff can and does happen.

I think paying the cost of the pre cruise hotel night is a small price for comfort. Add up the stress and cost if delayed. Easy decision.

Bad weather doesn't just have to hit New York to cause problems. Remember the shooting at FLL this past Jan.? We had our flight cancelled from Milwaukee. .luckily we planned the extra night. Lots missed their cruises. And on the way home two weeks later we couldn't land in Atlanta for our connection due to hurricanes. We spent a night in Charlotte. So... stuff can and does happen.

I don't think his issue was with paying for a hotel, it was the price of the day before flight...or both.

Wise decision. I'm from Toronto and we're flying in the day before on Nov. 28/17 because you just never know. Similar weather to yours. Don't forget an accident on I95 could make you miss your cruise too

Hope all this goes well and you have a wonderful cruise

I'm not sure what airline you are considering, but I'm thinking maybe Southwest if you are flying into FLL. If you fly more than once a year, consider buying your tickets and then watching the prices.

On Southwest, if your price drops, you can re-book and the credit sits in your account. You have a year from when you first purchased the tickets to use the credit.

I always buy as soon as the SW schedule opens up, but I've had my price drop $60/ticket recently from the initial price I paid (which was quite good).

I'm not sure what airline you are considering, but I'm thinking maybe Southwest if you are flying into FLL. If you fly more than once a year, consider buying your tickets and then watching the prices.

On Southwest, if your price drops, you can re-book and the credit sits in your account. You have a year from when you first purchased the tickets to use the credit.

I always buy as soon as the SW schedule opens up, but I've had my price drop $60/ticket recently from the initial price I paid (which was quite good).

I use this strategy all the time. Pretty much don't fly anything but SW unless I have to, due to being able to re-ticket without penalty and keep saved money in account, and not being charged for checked bags.

Roz

Well you made the right call. But for anyone else you might see this situation on a forum search it is more than feasbile if your flights are on-time. Even in the worst Rush-Hour traffic a drive from FLL to POM won't take more than 90-mins. And traffic is usually only an issue from 7:30am-10:00am or so. Pretty much any other time of the day I would say schedule 60mins drive but expect 30-40mins.