Are the specialty restaurants heavy handed on salt?

Bra_BE2014

Hi guys,

Counting down to my Epic sailing next week, yay! I wonder if you could help me by advising salty dishes I should stay away from! I'll do Moderno, Cagneys, Le Bistro and La Cucina. Are there any dishes that you thought were way too salty?

I hate salt :D

Thanks in advance!

Priscila

In Moderno, most of the items are pre-made, so you may not be able to control the salt (though you can ask what has less salt). In the others, you can ask to have a dish made without salt or with less salt. You can also ask to have sauces on the side, so that you can make your own judgement on how much, if any, to apply.

I found all of the food in all of the restaurants to be very heavy in salt. I also find all food in America to have too much salt. The teppanyaki chef did ask if anyone wanted less salt and would put their food aside if they did not want what he was making.

We thought Moderno was especially salty.

If you want to try to avoid salt, you might want to consider contacting the Access Desk and telling them you are on a low sodium diet. We did this on our last cruise for my husband (who actually is on one). Some of the restaurants were pro-active with noting this and pointing him towards or away from certain dishes. Others didn't mention the notation (which was okay with us).

We mainly did this to give a solid reason for him to request certain sauces to be left off or placed on the side. In general, we have found the ships to be very accommodating.

I do not use any salt at home when cooking so we are sensitive to salt in foods. We were on the Epic but did not seem to have an issue with excessive saltiness. My husband usually asked that his food be prepared with no salt or he asked which choices were the lowest in sodium.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruise kitchens. like any institutional venue, will tend to be heavier on salt. Salt may also taste more noticable to people because of the enhancing affect of sea air. Asking for no or less salt is a good idea, as is drinking more water than usual.

That said, I have found the single biggest factor to be the ethnicity of the person cooking the particular food. Some cultures just seem to be more heavy handed with the salt (and/or other spices) than others, and I suspect its their palate as they taste the food. (Not salt related specifically, but I can recall trying a particular dish in Jamaica. I like hot foods but I was gasping, but the person from India in our tour group thought is was closer to mild compared to Vindaloo back home - if that guy was cooking our food.....)

I do not use any salt at home when cooking so we are sensitive to salt in foods. We were on the Epic but did not seem to have an issue with excessive saltiness. My husband usually asked that his food be prepared with no salt or he asked which choices were the lowest in sodium.

Good to know, I also don't use salt at home. Not a health issue, just personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We thought Moderno was especially salty.

If you want to try to avoid salt, you might want to consider contacting the Access Desk and telling them you are on a low sodium diet. We did this on our last cruise for my husband (who actually is on one). Some of the restaurants were pro-active with noting this and pointing him towards or away from certain dishes. Others didn't mention the notation (which was okay with us).

We mainly did this to give a solid reason for him to request certain sauces to be left off or placed on the side. In general, we have found the ships to be very accommodating.

Good idea about asking sauces on the side when possible, thank you!

Out of all the specialty restaurants Moderno would be the worst choice in my opinion. Nearly every meat option that comes to the people is bathed in salt. Some people really enjoy the deep flavors of the different offerings but I had to drink tons of water during and after the meal.

FYI at just about every restaurant, your server will ask if there are any food allergies before taking your order. You can simply tell them you are sodium-free and your meal will be prepared accordingly.

Tracy

I found all of the food in all of the restaurants to be very heavy in salt. The teppanyaki chef did ask if anyone wanted less salt and would put their food aside if they did not want what he was making.

That is really good to know. I loved Teppanyaki but it didn't like me :eek:

We'll be on the Epic for NYE and we'll give it a try with asking for less salt. :D

Good idea about asking sauces on the side when possible, thank you!

Some people really enjoy the deep flavors of the different offerings

but I had to drink tons of water during and after the meal.

FYI at just about every restaurant, your server will ask if there are any food allergies before taking your order.

You can simply tell them you are sodium-free and your meal will be prepared accordingly.

Tracy

Some people would complain that "the food was tasteless" if it had less salt, sugar or fat.

After a couple days of stuffing, one tends to lose their appetite.

(So much good food to be had, and so little time)

I would suggest, if you want less sodium, try eating less food; it will taste better.

Edited by $hip$hape

We have been to Moderno on all eight of our cruises and we have never seen this at all.

I too would say I never thought Moderno was salty. We rarely use salt at home so I would expect to taste the salt if there was a big change, however I did not notice anything we ate this past week as being salty

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Some people would complain that "the food was tasteless" if it had less salt, sugar or fat.

After a couple days of stuffing, one tends to lose their appetite.

(So much good food to be had, and so little time)

I would suggest, if you want less sodium, try eating less food; it will taste better.

Your rude response is not appreciated.

I dont use salt, eat well and exercise and run six days a week. When I cruise, my eyes get very puffy and Im very thirsty at night from the food (oh and alcohol lol).

There was this one salty little dish at the main bar in my last cruise, I think her name was Karen. If you see her by all means avoid her. Oh wait, never mind! I misunderstood the question. :D

Oh thanks, I'll keep my distance from the salty lady [emoji23]

Any comments about using SEA SALT as a substitute for ordinary salt ?

Some restaurants are now offering it as an alternative.

Good to know' date=' I'll try if they offer it. Although, I prefer pink salt at home.

Any comments about using SEA SALT as a substitute for ordinary salt ?

Some restaurants are now offering it as an alternative.

I feel compelled to let a little of my science geek out.

"Table Salt" is Sodium Chloride, NaCl.

NaCl = NaCl whether it recently evaporated out of sea water or is mined from deposits which evaporated ages ago.

There may be different flavors imparted by other trace elements contained in the various products labelled as Sea Salt, but those flavor differences represent a miniscule proportion of the product in the bottle. It is almost entirely NaCl, just like Morton's Table Salt. Restaurants that offer it are offering different flavor experiences, not salt avoidance.

There are salt substitutes which give a "salty" flavor without any NaCl at all that anyone avoiding salt could bring with them to add some flavor to unsalted dishes. Those products are usually just packaged Potassium Chloride, KCl. The Potassium ion is processed differently by the body than the Sodium ion and does not lead to fluid retention to the degree that Sodium does.