Using Driver's License + Birth Certificate instead of Passport?

According to the RCI website and the C&A call center, it's acceptable to use a picture ID (driver's license) and birth certificate if you are a U.S. citizen for a closed loop Caribbean cruise. I was also told my wife needs our marriage certificate since her birth certificate obviously has her maiden name listed.

Has anyone had any experiences/issues with this method?

I think we used this method 15 years ago but we've been using passports ever since for simplicity. I see no reason not to trust what I've read and been told but I figured I might as well ask (and my DW tends to worry).

TIA!

According to the RCI website and the C&A call center, it's acceptable to use a picture ID (driver's license) and birth certificate if you are a U.S. citizen for a closed loop Caribbean cruise. I was also told my wife needs our marriage certificate since her birth certificate obviously has her maiden name listed.

Has anyone had any experiences/issues with this method?

I think we used this method 15 years ago but we've been using passports ever since for simplicity. I see no reason not to trust what I've read and been told but I figured I might as well ask (and my DW tends to worry).

TIA!

You are correct, for a closed loop cruise, a certified birth certificate and a driver's license is all that is required. Bringing the marriage license is a good idea as a bridge document between the two names.

Many people are now going to post about all the risks you are taking by not having a passport but you have what you need to cruise a closed loop cruise.

Since it's the guvment that "lets you back in" here's a link to their website concerning the issue:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

This might impact the answer as well:

HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement.

Since it's the guvment that "lets you back in" here's a link to their website concerning the issue:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement.

Name one

The cruise line is not going to let you board without the documentation you need for the ports that the ship is visiting.

Thanks for the responses. Certainly open to more.

As far as having a passport on the islands (St. Thomas and St. Martin in this case), my passport actually expires the day after we get back but my wife's expires on day 7 of the cruise. Either way, we would both have passports with us and they would both be valid during all port days. And as posted above, I'm not concerned about that part.

In case anyone cares, I'm only asking about this b/c we just got off Oasis yesterday (a pre-planned family cruise). We we're planning to cruise again this summer. We planned to renew our passports. However, a really cheap price popped up an hour ago and made it tempting to jump back on board (without my young nieces who I love but don't exactly provide the best cruise experience).

Thanks for the responses. Certainly open to more.

As far as having a passport on the islands (St. Thomas and St. Martin in this case), my passport actually expires the day after we get back but my wife's expires on day 7 of the cruise. Either way, we would both have passports with us and they would both be valid during all port days. And as posted above, I'm not concerned about that part.

In case anyone cares, I'm only asking about this b/c we just got off Oasis yesterday (a pre-planned family cruise). We we're planning to cruise again this summer. We planned to renew our passports. However, a really cheap price popped up an hour ago and made it tempting to jump back on board (without my young nieces who I love but don't exactly provide the best cruise experience).

Go for it! You have the documentation you need.

Thanks again all. Currently have the reservation on hold. Just need to decide if we really wanna jump back on the boat we got off of yesterday in 3 weeks now. I'm such a sucker for cheap deals with the port only an hour away. :)

Thanks again all. Currently have the reservation on hold. Just need to decide if we really wanna jump back on the boat we got off of yesterday in 3 weeks now. I'm such a sucker for cheap deals with the port only an hour away. :)

Brag..........Brag............Brag............:loudcry::*:eek:

The problems of Florida Folks!!

Brag..........Brag............Brag............:loudcry::*:eek:

The problems of Florida Folks!!

LOL, fair enough. In our defense, there are plenty of negatives here too so we're entitled to some perks.

That's all we ever use...DL and BC. Just make sure you book everything in the NAME ON YOUR ID'S! A woman's BC will ALWAYS show maiden name...not a problem..they are looking at birthdates matching.

What folks don't get is that you don't need a marriage license unless you book your cruise in a name that you have no ID for. Such as the newlywed that books her cruise in her new name and doesn't have photo ID in that name

Since your passports expire during the cruise they might not let you use them to check in (assuming they even look at the dates). CBP when you return will likely remind you that your passport is expiring that day. Probably a good idea to bring birth certificates as well. Any government photo ID works but you likely will have your drivers licenses anyway.

Yup - getting back from a cruise is a killer for folks with cruise addiction! Glad we don't live in Florida anymore (more bugs in Florida than rest of US combined).

We got off once, I thought it may have been the Bahamas. The cruise compass said you needed your passport to reboard (but I am sure a government issued ID and birth certificate would work). I thought it odd that we were told we needed it but at security to get back into the port, the folks ahead of us didn't take their passports and I was doubting they were going to get back into the port the way security was acting.

Name one

I was just skimming the article I linked and that paragraph jumped out.

We were told (in the Cruise Compass) we needed photo ID in Cozumel, Georgetown and Falmouth last week yet weren't asked for it in any port.

Royal "Consistently Inconsistent" Caribbean

We were told (in the Cruise Compass) we needed photo ID in Cozumel, Georgetown and Falmouth last week yet weren't asked for it in any port.

Royal doesn't care if you have it or not. It's the port that may or may not want it. Would you rather the cruise line didn't cover that possibility?

Have been to Cozumel and Falmouth multiple times and have always needed a picture ID to get through the security at the port. You do not need the picture ID to board the ship, just your sea pass, but absolutely need a picture ID to get into the secure area of the port.

Have been to Cozumel and Falmouth multiple times and have always needed a picture ID to get through the security at the port. You do not need the picture ID to board the ship, just your sea pass, but absolutely need a picture ID to get into the secure area of the port.

Was not asked to present picture ID at either port last week (despite bringing it as instructed). They only wanted to see our sea passes (yes, the locals).