RCCI Called demanding additional deposit 35 days after initial booking?

Are you sure your agent "got a call from Royal Caribbean"? Two years ago, I booked my grandeur cruise (which is finally coming up) onboard the Infinity (Celebrity) with a reduced deposit. When I got home, I transferred our bookings to my TA. My TA said she could get us into a group that would get us more OBC, but since we would be in a group, we were essentially changing our booking and therefore, did not qualify for the reduced deposit we got on board. We had to make up the difference up to the "default deposit". However, my TA never stated that we would lose our deposit or our booking if we didn't pay, just that we would lose out on the additional OBC.

If i was suspicious (you know your TA better than I), he may have thrown you into the group without consulting you, but didn't realize you had paid a reduced deposit but was stuck with you in the group because he already changed it, and is telling you a lie to cover his own misdeeds.

I would think they would tell you if they moved you to a group booking. Can you still do price drops on a group booking on Royal? Or are you now part of a group locked into that price? I would think you should also see more perks if you are now in a group so they would tell you about that.

Yes on all counts, at least with our TA. We knew up front about the move, which actually lowered our fare and got us more OBC. We were able to keep the Next Cruise OBC as well. However, I had to pay the full $250 PP deposit upon the move. I could have kept the N/C booking and still moved it to my TA. But I wouldn't have gotten her lower cabin fare or the additional OBC. I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid.

We also booked an OS with N/C and the deposit was $500. We didn't move it into the group booking as our N/C fare was much lower. We did still move it to our TA, just not into a group.

Edited by jamesr3939

If you do the next cruise, do you get OBC for the cruise you are on when booking? If so, I believe that's why your deposit is non-refundable.

That was my understanding when we booked with N/C. If you take the "instant" OBC then your deposit is non-refundable. We didn't so we have the OBC on the upcoming cruise.

Are you sure your agent "got a call from Royal Caribbean"? Two years ago, I booked my grandeur cruise (which is finally coming up) onboard the Infinity (Celebrity) with a reduced deposit. When I got home, I transferred our bookings to my TA. My TA said she could get us into a group that would get us more OBC, but since we would be in a group, we were essentially changing our booking and therefore, did not qualify for the reduced deposit we got on board. We had to make up the difference up to the "default deposit". However, my TA never stated that we would lose our deposit or our booking if we didn't pay, just that we would lose out on the additional OBC.

If i was suspicious (you know your TA better than I), he may have thrown you into the group without consulting you, but didn't realize you had paid a reduced deposit but was stuck with you in the group because he already changed it, and is telling you a lie to cover his own misdeeds.

My spouse has been dealing with it, I'm just trying to figure it out. I don't think our TA would have put us in a group booking without consulting us - the TA is highly recommended by many people. I don't know though - I'm just really perturbed by this whole situation.

When you switch your booking to your Travel Agent, usually the full amount is due or the total deposit is due upon notice. I usually wait until the final payment is almost due to switch it to my travel agent so it is not as much sticker shock.

Booked an OS on Serenade for 2018 while on our last Cruise 1st of May on LOTS. Paid the deposit and and received all paperwork while on the cruise. Our agent today got a call from RCCI demanding an additional $700 for deposit immediately. Now this is around 35 days since we made the booking. Only answer we have gotten is that the next cruise agent was mistaken or booked it wrong and we owe it. If we refuse to pay we also lose our deposit of $250. Anyone else run into this problem?
Never heard of this, sounds like your TA is scamming you.

When you switch your booking to your Travel Agent, usually the full amount is due or the total deposit is due upon notice. I usually wait until the final payment is almost due to switch it to my travel agent so it is not as much sticker shock.

You can't switch after 60 days and the deposit amount doesn't depend on who has the booking.

Our TA spoke with someone at RCCI - escalated and was told we have 48 Hours to pay up. We booked 3 next cruises and so far the next cruise agent botched 2 of them. 3rd I am going to cancel.

I won't bore you with the details, but I have had Next Cruise Agents on several occasions really screw things up. The latest one took over a month to make everything right, which included charging the wrong credit cards and screwing up the deposit amounts.

Cancel and go on a cruise line that values you as a customer. Don't roll over for the shakedown. When Royal has screwed up I pushed the issue and eventually they owned their mistake. Don't allow them to roll you.

URPLE, I seriously feel your pain. Many posters say it must be a mistake, blah, blah, blah. Heaven forbid if one castigates RCCL here, but I think it may be a sign of things to come with RCCL. Hopefully, only with RCCL and not the other lines. Let RCCL shoot themselves in the foot....

So many jumped on me for a previous thread I started about leaving RCCL....well folks, it they keep going this way, RCCL may be in for a surprise; because, apparently, others are feeling the same way. Don't get me wrong, I really like RCCL, but I'm not liking their new financial profit strategies and there are other cruise lines out there. Just sayin'....

We recently booked three rooms on the Symphony through a TA. TA was quoted £150 per room deposit which we paid. RC have since come back and advised that it should have been £150 a person. TA has advised there is no rush to pay, as it was RC's original mistake.

URPLE, I seriously feel your pain. Many posters say it must be a mistake, blah, blah, blah. Heaven forbid if one castigates RCCL here, but I think it may be a sign of things to come with RCCL. Hopefully, only with RCCL and not the other lines. Let RCCL shoot themselves in the foot....

So many jumped on me for a previous thread I started about leaving RCCL....well folks, it they keep going this way, RCCL may be in for a surprise; because, apparently, others are feeling the same way. Don't get me wrong, I really like RCCL, but I'm not liking their new financial profit strategies and there are other cruise lines out there. Just sayin'....

It was because of the way you worded the Title of the Thread. Many people don't like others telling them what to do..... insisting others should follow you. Let us decide what we will do. Many of us are in favor of the new deposit and penalty for change.

Not that this has to do with the deposit, but if you book on board, and you have the OBC for the next cruise (don't take it as instant) and you move your booking to your agent, who has a group with a lower price, if you move into the group for the lower price, you will give up the OBC you got for booking on board (plus you'll have to pay up the deposit from 1/2 to whole).

Apparently this has always been the rule, but they were not enforcing it. They are now. I will not move a booking into a group for Christmas because the price - the OBC is lower than the group pricing - OBC from the group.

The NC agents will tell you that it's been assigned to your agent of record, but remember when speaking to your agent to confirm whether they are moving you to a group for the amenities OR the lower price (sometimes group pricing is higher).

Just something to be aware of going forward.