Soot issues

Jayneykul

we have booked a sunset veranda on Equinox for our October cruise. I have been on the p&o board for the July cruise we have booked and they talk about soot issues in these cabins? I have never heard of this on celebrity so I take it this doesn't affect X ships?

We were aft on the Solstice and the soot was an issue. We kept pool towels to cover the chairs each time we sat as we were noticing black spots on our clothing. We had to be careful about leaning on the railing as well

We were in an aft cabin last Fall on the Reflection transatlantic. We did have soot on the balcony. Like previously mentioned, never sat on the lounger without a beach towel and the balcony was clean thouroughly every morning. However we did enjoy that balcony very much. I just book the transatlantic on the Reflection for this year. Had a good price for a 30% obstructed veranda on deck 6. I know what to expect on that type of balcony, but because of the CDN $ we have to do a few sacrifice. We are not 100% committed to the cruise, but have a few weeks before final payment.

A few yrs ago, we were on Silhouette out back listening to music. Without warning there was a huge soot puffback...it covered everyone and everything, people drinks, tables.. Some needed med attention..got in their eyes and nostrils, I was wearing white capris which were covered with oily soot.,even undies and dh socks.,

Officers responded promptly and rendered assistance, We received immediate priority laundering..the stuff came back 100% clean...btl of wine, apologies, etc We were told that staff put in a wrong mixture if something causing the soot shower..

I would never take a soot prone cabin and am always wary when we sit out back...

We had a soot problem on an aft facing balcony on the Silhouette a few years ago. The cabin steward did wipe it down every morning but more would fall during the day.

On our May, 2017 cruise on the Equinox, two of our tablemates had sunset verandas just under the Oceanview Grill.

Their problems were not with soot but with early morning noise from the crew in Oceanview moving tables and chairs.

They also said that every morning they would find scraps of food tossed over the back rail of the Oceanview from passengers who ate outside. Kind of disgusting, isn't it?

It'd look like any cabin downwind will have soot issues. I was watching a French documentary about cruise ships and they had investigators bringing a particle detector and discreetly using it onboard (ship funnel was disguised but t was clearly a Costa ship) to measure particulates. It is extremely high (IIRC the magnitude was hundreds of thousand ppm from several magnitudes lower when away) nearest to the funnel (naturally) but bad anywhere remotely downwind (take a broad 180 degree arc of dissipation).

Too bad they're not required to burn clean diesel all the time.

Thanks everyone it's something to think about hadn't considered it before

Have had aft cabins twice. One time no problem at all. The second time it was a very big problem. Wind plays a major role, but when there is soot the balcony can be impossible to use. I won't book another aft cabin because of this and we loved the aft location!

We recently had an aft balcony on Equinox. There were definite pros and cons with our cabin, soot being the biggest con. Lack of much of a roof was the other resulting in a lack of overhead privacy. Also it was too sunny for my taste and offered no protection from rain. I noticed soot was most likely to be on the rails, but it would land from time to time on the table and in the chairs or the floor.

That said, there was much I loved. Sometimes the view was spectacular, especially the night view we had of Cartegena's skyline. Also I loved the soothing sound of the wake. It helped me fall asleep each night. The cabin was quiet being as we down at the end of a long hall and not many people come down there.

I wouldn't particularly seek out an aft cabin, but if that was all that was available on a certain cruise, I'd go ahead and book it.

The views are spectacular and there is little foot travel down that way. As mentioned, the drawbacks can be the soot particles. Just a minor annoyance. If I moved out on the balcony, I sometimes felt people above were looking down at me.

We never had food dropped on our balcony. Instead, we had to go to the Oceanview for food in the morning.

Have had the same SV cabin on Silhouette 3 times 8353 and would go again in a heartbeat.

Just odd bits of soot but nothing to worry about.

:)

We'll be in 8353 on the Eclipse next March, our third time in an SV cabin on Deck 8 but our first time in this particular cabin. The two cruises to date were 14 day Southern Caribbean sailings and we had almost no soot at all.

I find that because of the depth of the cabin balconies there's plenty of shade and cover from a view from above unless you move out near the railing.

We cruised in an aft cabin twice. The first time, we had not soot, but the second time, it was quite bad and just had to be cautious and wipe the rail off and put down towels on the chairs. Would soot stop us from booking aft cabin again? Definitely not as the views are totally worth it to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums