Passenger counts

phillyguy31

No, it is not published information.

Usually, we can ask and get the counts or breakdown while onboard from the CC's Meet & Mingle and/or at the Latitude reception ... sometimes, if asked, to include # of nationalities & even age cohorts, etc. (from the Hotel Director)

On our last Gem cruise, the crew & officers represented 60+ different countries. ;p

When we post passenger counts from our cruises, we get the information from signs posted in the crew areas during the platinum behind the scenes tours.

For example, from our Memorial Day cruise on the Breakaway

Breakaway Capacity 3963

Total passengers 4764

Total US 4379

Total Non-US 394

Total Crew 1627

1-10 years old 200

11-20 years old 476

21-50 years old 2023

51-70 years old 1496

71+ years old 382

Average Age 42.6

During a bridge tour a couple years back, I was making small talk with the captain and asked him what the passenger count was. He said that he could not discuss it, as that information was confidential. I remember thinking his response was a tad bizarre. I had just walked past the information posted on a board in the galley -- although I did not realize this at the time. Like BirdTravels posted, I didn't see that information until I looked at my pictures back at home.

Since then, I've wondered what security risk is represented by the passenger count. Although unlikely, maybe he just didn't know it off the top of his head.

During a bridge tour a couple years back, I was making small talk with the captain and asked him what the passenger count was. He said that he could not discuss it, as that information was confidential. I remember thinking his response was a tad bizarre. I had just walked past the information posted on a board in the galley -- although I did not realize this at the time. Like BirdTravels posted, I didn't see that information until I looked at my pictures back at home.

Since then, I've wondered what security risk is represented by the passenger count. Although unlikely, maybe he just didn't know it off the top of his head.

In the case of an Emergency the "SOULS ON BOARD" is critical information the authorities need to respond

to the emergency. On a cruise ship bringing a row boat out to administer aid just ain't going to cut the muster !

The exact headcount may not be available to the general public but to the rescue/aid crew it is imperative !

If I had asked the question I would be easily satisfied with an approximate number - ships capacity is XXXX

and is sailing with XXXX +/-. Really interesting when the cruise line breaks it down into age groups and where

the sailing folks are from.

As for the blanket statement "The Ship is Sailing FULL" probably answers a lot of questions without further

fan fare. But if there is a maintenance problem/issue there must be some cabins sandbagged to alleviate the

small problem without bumping people around. As for a section or deck disaster then I will let the professional

cruise people solve the problem and then read about it later here at CC. Sir Madam since your cabin has been

flooded out we have made accommodations on the Promenade deck - hammocks have been provided for your

comfort - if there is anything else we can do to make your cruise pleasant let us know - oh there will be no charge

the open air room service and the enhanced ocean view with superb full ship width balcony -

your cabin steward will be by with the champagne in an ice bucket compliments of the Hotel Director.

When we post passenger counts from our cruises, we get the information from signs posted in the crew areas during the platinum behind the scenes tours.

Breakaway Capacity 3963

Total passengers 4764

Total US 4379

Total Non-US 394

Total Crew 1627

1-10 years old 200

11-20 years old 476

21-50 years old 2023

51-70 years old 1496

71+ years old 382

Average Age 42.6

So there were 801 more passengers than capacity, meaning there were 801 in excess of 2 per cabin?

Originally posted by BirdTravels When we post passenger counts from our cruises, we get the information from signs posted in the crew areas during the platinum behind the scenes tours.

Breakaway Capacity 3963

Total passengers 4764

Total US 4379

Total Non-US 394

Total Crew 1627

1-10 years old 200

11-20 years old 476

21-50 years old 2023

51-70 years old 1496

71+ years old 382

Average Age 42.6

4379 + 394 = 4773 so I guess there were 9 stowaways?

Using the age breakdown there must have been 187 passengers under the age of 1(not counting the stowaways)

This is a photo from a bridge tour on the Spirit 3 years ago....

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOnwUKEnh-xouAA881qdn3FMWRHLhvq2DzViJuVCQC4bS2Bids43blVU_p5OCF9-g/photo/AF1QipMx4nzhDDlXPbQDGoaY7xk5NZigvccKnROizQ9Y?key=bkpkQ3dwVE1JTjR5MWJieHc3LUtWdlFmSVhyb013

You can ask the person who scans your ship card when you go on or off the ship for excursions. They can see how many souls are on board at any time and how many passengers total are booked. On our recent POA cruise, I asked and was told that there were 2543 passengers. On our Disney cruises, I could actually see the monitor which listed the numbers.