Fll @ 10:05

cruiser2053

A little more information would be helpful -- is this a domestic or an International flight? Do you have TSA pre-check? Any status with the airline so you can check in quickly? How do you plan to get to the airport? Will you do self-disembark (can you move all your luggage without assistance and walk off the ship?). There are a lot of factors in play ......

Why on earth would you put yourself through the stress of making this flight on your last day of vacation? The time seems totally unreasonable, and any delay at all in docking would guarantee you would miss the flight.

Exactly, your going to go through your entire cruise thinking what's going to happen on the last day. Never...

Years ago when we flew to the cruise ports we would schedule flights thru the cruise lines and they flew us in the day of and out the day that the cruise ended. It made the first day very tiring as the flights weren't what we would have liked because they had a few lay overs and startied very early in the morning.

We then started to book our own flights for the day before. It made the experience more relaxing and we were able to enjoy the first day on board without being exhausted.

We never thought about any delays at the end of the cruise.

We now drive to the port and realize how lucky we were because of the delays that we have now encountered at the end of the cruise. We have been delayed many times by medical emergencies, a few by mechanical issues. Two by storms and one by winds that exceeded the port's safe wind speed. Some delays were 4 to 8 hours and others were a whole day. Passengers that had flights were all trying to rearrange their flights using their cell phones standing on the top decks. One person told me that the earliest he could get was 4 days later.

Give yourself some breathing room.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We made a 10:15 flight from FLL, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have TSA PreCheck and are doing self disembark. The only reason we attempted it was because the next available flight wasnt until 7:45pm. It can be done, but everything needs to work like clockwork.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Four cruise from Fort Lauderdale, two really easy and quick disembarkations, one quite slow....a problem delaying the start of passengers getting off resulting in ongoing backlog. Then last cruise we were warned by staff that there were not enough staff at passports leading to long delays....they were not joking. We stayed in Michael's Club until 9.30 as we were in no rush to go anywhere and thought we were better out of the way until those who needed to be off had gone. When we got down there were still lots of people queuing....some frantically asking others if they could go in front madly waving their boarding passes.....

So I guess my answer is "Do you feel lucky?"

You also need to consider what will happen if you miss the flight? At that time of year, all the rest of the flights that day will likely be full -- you would be flying standby and it could be very stressful. Not to mention that there might be change fees to re-book your ticket. So, what would be your Plan B?

I'll join the choir of those who say "No". Things need to go perfectly and that would be unusual. Customs and Immigration can be very slow unless you have some type of priority and that's no guarantee. I've been backed up for a hour or two. You don't say when you are cruising, but FLL can be overflowing with passengers from other ships. Why not just take a later flight and spend some time in Ft Lauderdale?

On the Silhouette next January if we self disembark can we make a 10:05 am flight, I'm thinking we'll be fine but this is our first time on Celebrity so not quite sure what to expect.

Sounds like you have cruised before.

Ft Lauderdale is the only place we will try this in.

Last cruise we left at 7:45 ish, in cab 8:15 ish, at the airport just after 8:30, thru ck in and at the gate b-4 9:00 for a 9:35 flight.

OP, there are countless threads with the identical question here and on all the other boards with cruises out of Port Everglades, and lots of posts from people recounting how they made an early flight. What we don't see are posts from all the people who tried it and didn't make the flight!

We're firm believers in having a relaxed final day of our holiday. The earliest flight we've ever booked was just after noon, and often don't fly out until late afternoon. There's enough stress in the world today without adding to it unnecessarily.

One more thing to add to the mix -- if you go later you can take advantage of Luggage Valet, where for $25 per person your bags are taken to the airport for you and you pick them up at arrival at your home airport. The fee also includes checking you in to your flight and printing your boarding passes. The flight you propose would be too early to qualify for Luggage Valet.

Thanks for the response we did book our flights and I was able to get a better time 2:30. We do like to fly out later than the 10:05 that I hadin the original post but sometimes the airlines don't always cooperate but lucky for us I found something better

Happy Cruising Everybody

So lets spell it out in a very clear manner. If your ship docks on time, and Express disembarkation (which you should do in the case of an early flight) starts on time....you should be able to make your flight. However, having cruised into Port Everglades dozens of times we can say (with certainty) that things do not always go as advertised. We have had cruises dock late (due to weather, traffic, or mechanical issues) and we have had ships with delayed disembarkation (on one cruise nobody could get off the ship until around 9:30) due to the US CBP folks having "issues."

So here is the question you need to consider. If you are flying an airline such as Southwest....where you can reschedule a flight with no penalty (if done in advance) other then possible price changes...perhaps that early flight is worth the risk. But nearly all other airlines charge large penalties for missing (and having to change) your flight. Are you willing to take the chance?

Hank

Thanks for the response we did book our flights and I was able to get a better time 2:30. We do like to fly out later than the 10:05 that I hadin the original post but sometimes the airlines don't always cooperate but lucky for us I found something better

Happy Cruising Everybody

Glad you found a more reasonable flight. Once, we were able to get to the airport so early, we could have made an 8:30 AM flight at FLL. Of course, our flight time was much later in the day ... it was awful to wait so many hours.

But, just a couple of months ago, our ship had to switch terminals in FLL for debarkation. We had an 11:45 AM flight and barely made it ... got to the airport and boarded the plane immediately once we got to the gate. It just depends on if everything goes like clockwork ... and sometimes it does, sometimes it does not and it's just not worth the aggravation and stress for those times when it doesn't.

Again ... glad you were able to find something that is on the safe side.

One more thing to add to the mix -- if you go later you can take advantage of Luggage Valet, where for $25 per person your bags are taken to the airport for you and you pick them up at arrival at your home airport. The fee also includes checking you in to your flight and printing your boarding passes. The flight you propose would be too early to qualify for Luggage Valet.

I plan on using the luggage valet for our 1:00 flight. I was somewhat concerned of it being to early. I do tend to worry.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app