Does Crystal Engage in False Advertising?

njguy_south

Tauck delivers...that and more

My husband and I have recently taken our first cruise on Tauck. While most of the cruise was delightful we did not have good experiences with two onshore dinners that were the primary reason we had selected the itinerary. One of the issues was a major change in venue like the OP described. We were not made aware of the change until it was too late to cancel. The substituted venue was not in keeping with the one promised in their original advertising. The other issue was an unexpectedly bad meal at a Michelin starred restaurant that was part of the itinerary. We expressed our disappointment both to the staff during the cruise, and to Tauck management after. We received an apology and a small coupon for a future cruise. So even companies with generally good reputations can have issues and changes.

We have not sailed on a Crystal river cruise yet, but have sailed a number of times on Crystal Ocean. I would certainly recommend the OP press the issue with Crystal. We have always found them to be responsive to our concerns.

The plot thickens...as I was looking for excursions on the Crystal River Cruise this December, one of the choices was a full day in Regensburg with a visit to one of the world's most beautiful Christmas Market in Regensburg...only problem is that the excursion is scheduled for 12/27 and the Christmas Markets close on 12/23!!! Very sloppy management by Crystal!!!

The plot thickens...as I was looking for excursions on the Crystal River Cruise this December, one of the choices was a full day in Regensburg with a visit to one of the world's most beautiful Christmas Market in Regensburg...only problem is that the excursion is scheduled for 12/27 and the Christmas Markets close on 12/23!!! Very sloppy management by Crystal!!!

Oh dear!

https://tourismus.regensburg.de/en/unique-features-themes/christmas.html

notamermaid

To be honest, this is why a few of us suggested waiting a season or two to let Crystal get used to the river operations.

Yes, it shouldn't be necessary, and yes, it isn't rocket science to even guess that Christmas markets might not be open 2 days after Christmas, but given a little time I'm sure Crystal will get to grips with this stuff.

I do think that the high weight they are putting on the Michelin restaurant events is a huge mistake though. Even if you set aside the issues over seasonal impact on availability, these restaurants although good, are not great, and they are never going to be close to their best when tasked with a single sitting of this size. The best outcome is that it is going to make the onboard catering look even better for the rest of the trip, but it is most likely to disappoint instead of delight, which is a shame.

To be honest, this is why a few of us suggested waiting a season or two to let Crystal get used to the river operations.

Yes, it shouldn't be necessary, and yes, it isn't rocket science to even guess that Christmas markets might not be open 2 days after Christmas, but given a little time I'm sure Crystal will get to grips with this stuff.

I do think that the high weight they are putting on the Michelin restaurant events is a huge mistake though. Even if you set aside the issues over seasonal impact on availability, these restaurants although good, are not great, and they are never going to be close to their best when tasked with a single sitting of this size. The best outcome is that it is going to make the onboard catering look even better for the rest of the trip, but it is most likely to disappoint instead of delight, which is a shame.

I agree on both counts. I think Crystal is a terrific ocean luxury cruise line, with the best food at sea and probably the best enrichment and shore excursions. But river cruising is very different from ocean cruising and there will be a learning curve for them. The other head-scratcher is the focus on Michelin restaurants: I think I read that these are 1-star restaurants; I think of Crystal cuisine as at least equal and possibly 2-star day in and day out. Then add that this is really a 'wedding dinner' at the restaurant, and it just doesn't seem likely to equal the food you would have have by staying on board. But of course it allows another press release...

Costes in Budapest is a very special experience, and there were no corners cut for the Crystal menu. The food was innovative and unique. The sommelier described the wine pairings for each course. That restaurant compares favorably with the fine cuisine onboard the Mozart. It was a very memorable experience. The restaurant is small and not very many diners can participate. The photos on Trip Advisor can provide an idea of the menu items and food presentation.

Le Ciel Vienna was more of a banquet style meal and not as special.

Costes in Budapest is a very special experience... ...The restaurant is small and not very many diners can participate...

...Le Ciel Vienna was more of a banquet style meal and not as special.

This rather makes the point though, a few guests can have a memorable experience, or all the guests can have the 'wedding experience', this isn't what Crystal are advertising and is likely to continue to cause disappointment sadly.

Keep in mind that Crystal River, unlike Crystal Ocean, is a product that was developed since Crystal was sold by

Nippon Yusen Kaisha to Genting Hong Kong. At the time of the sale there was some discussion if it would impact Crystal. While Crystal Ocean still seems to be running fine, one must wonder if the problems with Crystal River might be the impact of the new owner in developing a new product and that the new division might be leveraging the Crystal name, but not the experience of Crystal Ocean.

if the problems with Crystal River might be the impact of the new owner in developing a new product and that the new division might be leveraging the Crystal name, but not the experience of Crystal Ocean.

I can happily confirm that to date, Crystal ensures there are Crystal Ocean staff supervising the Waterside (main dining room). On my December cruise, the restaurant manager, the head sommelier and both bartenders had many years experience on Crystal Ocean. On my September cruise, a Head Sommelier from the Crystal Symphony will be restaurant manager.

The role of Entertainment Host on both the ocean yacht and river yachts was developed by Mark Farris who has a massive following on Crystal. All Entertainment Hosts so far have spent time doing a stint in the Avenue Saloon on the Symphony or Serenity. As far as I am aware, the executive chefs have also spent time in Crystal's ocean kitchen adopting many of Crystal favourite or signature dishes and developing some of their own.

The excursion staff appear new to Crystal Rivers. Not a surprise since you need people familiar with the route. Land excursions requires experience, local knowledge and care to detail. This is one area that appears lacking.

OK, there are gaps compared with level of service on ocean cruises to date. Staff do not say "pleasure" as a response to you thanking them. The training process does appear more rigorous for ocean crew.

Having said that, I still think biggest hole is the website and incorrect statements on those websites. The problem is that the "tone of top" is of the same bent. Yes I mean Edie. Its about over hyping and not delivering on that hype (or at least differently to the original hype).

Edited by JohnKen3

I think the rapid expansion of Crystal from a 2-ship ocean line to 5 ocean ships, plus ocean yachts, plus river ships, plus the jet 'cruises' -- including completely new designs in all categories -- has to tax management's ability to keep all the balls in the air and simultaneously maintain the high standards that Crystal has been known for. The upgrades to the existing ocean fleet and Mozart seem to have gone quite well. The real question will come as all the other new projects come online (many simultaneously). So I give credit to Edie for attempting all this and keeping up her energy and enthusiasm -- even as I wonder if she can really pull it off.

For Crystal River one third of the staff is from Crystal Ocean, one third is from other river cruise lines, and one third is from luxury properties. Crystal is finding that this combination of backgrounds is working well for them. All staff members on Crystal river boats are from Europe.

The influence from Crystsl Ocean is noticeable. All staff members are put through a rigorous training program. I think it is 6 week long. On our two voyages many staff members responded with "pleasure" similar to what is done on Crystal Ocean.

The two sets of shore excursion staff we had all seemed to have come from other river cruise lines. Crystal tends to offer more shore excursions in each port than most other river cruise lines. This makes the jobs of the shore excursion team more demanding than their previous jobs on other river cruise lines, because they have much more logistics to juggle.

The onboard experience in terms of dining service and food quality is at least as good and frequently better than Crystal Ocean.

The primary issue with Crystal River is the land based side which does not keep the website current. However the ocean side has the same issue. This is where Crystal needs to improve.

In the interim I can live with the issue on the land side. The river and ocean side of the experience are what is most important to me, and Crystal delivers.

Oh, and I'm pleased to report that the onboard internet service on the Mozart went through a recent upgrade and is outstanding. It is far better than what is currently available on Crystal Ocean. It is also far better than what I experienced on Tauck's Inspire a couple of years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Planning for this cruise has been a headache! Crystal has the ship sailing from Melk on 2/25 at 5 pm, yet has a shore excursion until 7 pm. It is a shame that a company known for high standards cannot get its act together.

Planning for this cruise has been a headache! Crystal has the ship sailing from Melk on 2/25 at 5 pm, yet has a shore excursion until 7 pm. It is a shame that a company known for high standards cannot get its act together.

What they do is import the excursions from one cruise to the next. The problem with this is that during the spring/summer cruises Melk is an afternoon call. The times for the excursions will be adjusted to fit the time at the stop. I get your frustration, however. Crystal earns a big fail on their website debacle, not to mention their reservation system.

Patty

What they do is import the excursions from one cruise to the next. The problem with this is that during the spring/summer cruises Melk is an afternoon call. The times for the excursions will be adjusted to fit the time at the stop. I get your frustration, however. Crystal earns a big fail on their website debacle, not to mention their reservation system.

Patty

I think Crystal may be in over its head when it comes to river cruising. Time will tell, but there is already heavy competition in this market. (Scenic, Uniworld) Over promising can lead to unhappy customers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think Crystal may be in over its head when it comes to river cruising. Time will tell, but there is already heavy competition in this market. (Scenic, Uniworld) Over promising can lead to unhappy customers.

Cruised on the Mozart this past April and everything went perfectly from being picked up at the Vienna airport to be dropped off there 10 days later. Time will tell as the other river cruises roll out. One thing I can tell you after 10 years and over 30 cruises with Crystal - what happens on the ships is very much different (and 1000 times better!) than the office/website.

Patty

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear that Texas Tillie,

as regards the office and website: http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/crystal-river-cruises-adds-crystal-bach-to-fleet

It is a good job the captains know their way around European rivers, if Crystal's marketing people did the Crystal Bach might get lost. ;)

The itinerary to Frankfurt does not take them on the Moselle as that city is on the Main!

I hope all goes well for the Bach and her sister ships.

notamermaid

The Bach and Mahler have been "delayed." Over 600 Crystal passengers had to be "re-accomodated." Many unhappy Crystal customers, some vowing never to do business with them again. The inaugural Bach is now scheduled for August 13th and the inaugural Mahler for September 30th. I am glad I decided to book another line.

How does it work signing up for the complimentary Michelin dinner? Even the Bach sailing this coming Sunday on the website says still in development. Are you supposed to choose one of the paid ones and then when you only book one it converts to free? Someone told me that but it doesn't sound right.

Also, Andy, I read above that Mark Farris, is the Entertainment Host on the Bach. The website still has a mysterious "AJ" entry.

How does it work signing up for the complimentary Michelin dinner? Even the Bach sailing this coming Sunday on the website says still in development. Are you supposed to choose one of the paid ones and then when you only book one it converts to free? Someone told me that but it doesn't sound right.

Also, Andy, I read above that Mark Farris, is the Entertainment Host on the Bach. The website still has a mysterious "AJ" entry.

Tracie,

I booked through an email to MozartButlerServices@crystalcruises.com. Someone gave me that email address (Rhonda??). I got it late enough that all that was available was for the final night of the cruise in Vienna. This was in mid Feb. for a mid Apr. cruise. Have no idea if this is still the way they are doing it.

Mark is on the Bach starting with the first cruise, but I don't know for how long.

Patty

TER777 I am sailing on the Mozart on Sunday and for the last 6 months all tours including the Michelin Restaurants had been available to book online through the PCPC. We have booked all our tours including a Michelin restaurant in Vienna.

As of last Sunday, a week before sailing, Crystal advised that we were no longer to make any changes or access the PCPC.

Tracie,

For our B2B voyages we were invited to book the Michelin restaurants through the land-side butler as Patty reported, and this is the way we booked. Eventually the Michelin restaurants were added to the PCPC, and one could book by that method.

Crystal had issues where a significant number of folks signed up for the restaurants and then decided at the last minute, on the day of the dinner, that they would not attend. Crystal presumably was stuck still paying for their dinner. By the time we sailed, Crystal instituted the policy where if you did not show up for the dinner or made a late cancellation, Crystal would charge the cost of the dinner to your onboard account. Hence the dinner is complimentary if you attend, but there is a charge if you book the restaurant and then don't attend. As you can see the pricing is fairly steep if you book and then don't attend. I'm sure this policy has reduced the number of "no shows" or last minute cancellations.

Crystal will provide the set menu for the restaurant you book once you board. You are instructed to let them know of any dietary concerns, and they will work with the restaurant to make adjustments as needed.

Finicky eaters or those with significant dietary issues might want to contact the shore side butler before booking. The butler should be able to help down-select to the restaurant that is the best fit for the individuals.

Enjoy your voyage! Crystal really has created a fine experience on their river boats!

Rhonda

Tracie,

For our B2B voyages we were invited to book the Michelin restaurants through the land-side butler as Patty reported, and this is the way we booked. Eventually the Michelin restaurants were added to the PCPC, and one could book by that method.

Crystal had issues where a significant number of folks signed up for the restaurants and then decided at the last minute, on the day of the dinner, that they would not attend. Crystal presumably was stuck still paying for their dinner. By the time we sailed, Crystal instituted the policy where if you did not show up for the dinner or made a late cancellation, Crystal would charge the cost of the dinner to your onboard account. Hence the dinner is complimentary if you attend, but there is a charge if you book the restaurant and then don't attend. As you can see the pricing is fairly steep if you book and then don't attend. I'm sure this policy has reduced the number of "no shows" or last minute cancellations.

Crystal will provide the set menu for the restaurant you book once you board. You are instructed to let them know of any dietary concerns, and they will work with the restaurant to make adjustments as needed.

Finicky eaters or those with significant dietary issues might want to contact the shore side butler before booking. The butler should be able to help down-select to the restaurant that is the best fit for the individuals.

Enjoy your voyage! Crystal really has created a fine experience on their river boats!

Rhonda

For an "all-inclusive" experience this Crystal policy of charging your onboard account if you cancel is really quite insulting. First off, one star Michelin restaurants are not catering halls. If you expect a one star experience, it's not happening. But to charge if you cancel, for any reason, (one man didn't care for pigeon as his main course) is absurd.

For an "all-inclusive" experience this Crystal policy of charging your onboard account if you cancel is really quite insulting. First off, one star Michelin restaurants are not catering halls. If you expect a one star experience, it's not happening. But to charge if you cancel, for any reason, (one man didn't care for pigeon as his main course) is absurd.

Rhonda stated that the charge would be made for a late cancellation or a no show and that the menu would be available when you boarded the cruise. If you asked when you boarded and pigeon ;p was listed as the main course and you canceled then, there would be no charge. I believe you are taking your example to an absurd point.