NCL or Carnival

burgedw

Would like to hear about this. It would be a b2b on the dawn from San Juan December 6 - 26. Hitting a lot of islands and most are not repeats. But a lot of bad on the dawn

If you are comparing the Dawn to Carnival's Fascination then the Dawn wins hands down. The Fascination is a fantasy class ship. Fantasy class ships are older and smaller and certainly do not have all the bells and whistles of Carnival's larger ships.

"Temps were in low 70s. Watching people in down jackets and hats was entertaining (Must dress like I'm in Alaska)"

I love this. It's the tourists who are in down jackets etc. Us Alaskans will be in shorts trying to soak up the limited sun that we have!

... But a lot of bad on the dawn

You've heard a lot of bad reports on the Dawn? Honestly, that seems unusual--a lot, not just negative reviews. We found no major issues in December on Dawn to Mexico. Perhaps you could relate which "bad" you're seeking to avoid. Personally, I prefer NCL over Carnival which is why I've only cruised twice with them--both on Liberty. My sister cruises Carnival often and enjoys it, but I don't think ever on Fascination.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

My Son and his friends did a week long Carnival cruise in the Caribbean. They thought it was on par with NCL and were surprised the food was good.

I have talked to others that warned that some Carnival ships are very old and to avoid them. They use them for short cruises.

We had a great time on the Carnival Dream a few years ago and the last time I cruised with NCL we didn't think the food was that good. So every cruise line has it's strengths and weaknesses. We try to sail newer ships and not overplan ourselves and always have a good time. It really is what you make it [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have sailed on Dawn three times. It remains one of our favorites.

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the bigger ships, but we found it very comfortable.

San Juan to S. Caribbean cruise on Dawn is on my bucket list.

We had a great time on the Carnival Dream a few years ago and the last time I cruised with NCL we didn't think the food was that good. So every cruise line has it's strengths and weaknesses. We try to sail newer ships and not overplan ourselves and always have a good time. It really is what you make it [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you last sailed on NCL in 2011. IMO the food has improved since then. I've sailed on both in the last couple of years and there isn't much difference now. I would choose the Dawn over one of the Fantasy class ships on Carnival though.

Looks like you last sailed on NCL in 2011. IMO the food has improved since then. I've sailed on both in the last couple of years and there isn't much difference now. I would choose the Dawn over one of the Fantasy class ships on Carnival though.

I think it has stayed the same imo. No lobster anymore, but I don't eat sea food. So that doesn't affect me. I hear they rotate from like 30 menus. So maybe some people get the wrong mix of 30 menus that doesn't fit them?

Would like to hear about this. It would be a b2b on the dawn from San Juan December 6 - 26. Hitting a lot of islands and most are not repeats. But a lot of bad on the dawn

The Dawn is a great ship, though not as fancy as the big ones. Three weeks island hopping in the Caribbean is a great adventure. I would not think twice about booking this.

In general we prefer Carnival over NCL. We find the food to be better and the staff to be friendlier. That being said, we were on the Dawn last October and found it to be a very good value and are taking the same cruise again this October. Like most things in life, your vacation will be as good as you make it.

We've sailed both lines and prefer NCL. One of the main reasons why is that we like dining in the specialty restaurants. On Carnival there is one - the steakhouse. On NCL there are several choices. We like having more options. But in general, they're more alike than different. We enjoyed our cruise on the Dawn, since we really like the smaller, more intimate ships. I haven't read too many negatives about the ship and didn't have any problems or complaints. It sounds like a great itinerary - you should go!

I have not been on the Dawn, but our experience with NCL has been 1000% better than any trip on carnival. After sailing on NCL Escape and Disney's ships, i doubt we will ever travel with on a carnival ship again.

I cannot add to the NCL vs Carnival discussion, but I have been on the Norwegian Dawn and found it to be a good ship and would sail again on her if the opportunity arises. It does not have all of the entertainment options available due to the smaller size, but I prefer the smaller ships over the crowds on the bigger ships and find the smaller ships much more enjoyable and personable. There is still plenty of fun on the Norwegian Dawn and the pool area seems as large as the bigger ships. There are also plenty of restaurant selections for me on the Dawn.

Alan

I cannot add to the NCL vs Carnival discussion, but I have been on the Norwegian Dawn and found it to be a good ship and would sail again on her if the opportunity arises. It does not have all of the entertainment options available due to the smaller size, but I prefer the smaller ships over the crowds on the bigger ships and find the smaller ships much more enjoyable and personable. There is still plenty of fun on the Norwegian Dawn and the pool area seems as large as the bigger ships. There are also plenty of restaurant selections for me on the Dawn.

Alan

The Titanic with half the space as the Dawn must have felt overwhelmingly small and boring due to lack of non stop activities.

Any way Dawn is the way to go. Book a suite!

It depends on which Carnival ship that you are comparing the Dawn too. What bad about the Dawn? :confused:

What's "bad" on the Dawn. We cruise on her between Boston & Bermuda often, and enjoy her very much.

The Dawn recently underwent a multi-million dollar dry-dock, looking refreshed and new,

Definitely the Dawn. She was recently refurbished, and has a lot of cool features. Also, NCL's crew members are always super nice! They have a way of making you feel special! Which ever one you pick, I hope you have an awesome cruise!!