Beware: 5 Star Cruise - 1 Star Flights

nigelc

Pre cruse hotel for concierge and above for all UK customers. I think pre cruise hotel for all suite grades when long haul travel involved? Yet again this is included and not free just like all the Regent offerings.

Any upgrades come at a hefty cost for the UK customer which will undoubtedly make us all look at tempting alternatives on offer. Jean.

Pre cruse hotel for concierge and above for all UK customers. I think pre cruise hotel for all suite grades when long haul travel involved? Yet again this is included and not free just like all the Regent offerings.

Any upgrades come at a hefty cost for the UK customer which will undoubtedly make us all look at tempting alternatives on offer. Jean.

Do you have to arrive the day of embarkation in order to get transportation? This is undoable for many people and undesirable for the rest.

Unfortunately, what you call "poor flights", many of us in the U.S. consider normal. In fact, many people are put on flights (international - not domestic) with 10 hour layovers. This has been the case for many years (and some of the longest layovers have been on BA. - especially returning from Cape Town). Our self-booked flight home from Miami in December (about a 6 hour flight if it were non-stop) has a 4 hour layover in Houston. Do we wish it were better? Of course, however, even booking it ourselves didn't get us a non-stop flight as they do not exist from either major airports near where we live (Seattle and Vancouver).

lipstastic, again, thank you for responding to my question. The intra-European flights that we have done on BA had their own Business Class section but had three seats across with the middle seat blocked off - supposedly to give us more room. They did provide good food and drinks. Does Regent give U.K. passengers a pre-cruise night at a hotel (Concierge and above passengers)?

Of course there will be times when there are no direct flights, the issue here is one of choice. If I was made aware of the flights when I was booking, I simply would not of booked the holiday. In addition, this is not a case that there are no direct flights from Heathrow to Miami, there are - lots. Indeed, I am not requesting a particular airline so I am not sure why BA keeps coming up in posts - the issue is simply that Regent are being "cheap" and trying to save $s at the expensive of their customers holiday experience.

Thanks for your reply Travelcat 2. However, please note that Regent do not include Business Class flights to and from the USA as standard for UK customers - even if they book a PH or higher.

err yes they do or am I misreading what you have written?

err yes they do or am I misreading what you have written?

As Jean said above:

"Included business class flights in the U.K are only included in Penthouse Suites and above for flights to Europe and Northern Europe.

Any other flight routes we pay for any upgrades to business class. Admittedly the cost to upgrade with Regent is less than the cost to buy the ticket independently, but this adds considerable cost to an already expensive cruise fare. Jean."

I have booked a PH and my flights are not in business class.

It sounds as though we are fortunate that our next two Regent cruises involve flying East and not transatlantic. Thank you for updating me with the change in air arrangements, Flossie. I quite understand the challenge now. I'm afraid flying Miami-LHR via Frankfurt would be a deal breaker for us and we'd either make our own air arrangements or look for a cruise elsewhere. So much for building a UK customer base eh?

Quoting TC2:

Unfortunately, what you call "poor flights", many of us in the U.S. consider normal. In fact, many people are put on flights (international - not domestic) with 10 hour layovers. This has been the case for many years

Then surely, you know all too well how horrible it can be and I'd have hoped you'd be more sympathetc?

As Jean said above:

"Included business class flights in the U.K are only included in Penthouse Suites and above for flights to Europe and Northern Europe.

Any other flight routes we pay for any upgrades to business class. Admittedly the cost to upgrade with Regent is less than the cost to buy the ticket independently, but this adds considerable cost to an already expensive cruise fare. Jean."

I have booked a PH and my flights are not in business class.

Well that concerns me BIG TIME. My TA assures me the transatlantic portion will be Business Class.

Of course there will be times when there are no direct flights, the issue here is one of choice. If I was made aware of the flights when I was booking, I simply would not of booked the holiday. In addition, this is not a case that there are no direct flights from Heathrow to Miami, there are - lots. Indeed, I am not requesting a particular airline so I am not sure why BA keeps coming up in posts - the issue is simply that Regent are being "cheap" and trying to save $s at the expensive of their customers holiday experience.

.........or, because of the limitation of Business Class seats on each flight combined with the number of people they are trying to accommodate and given the fact that many people booked their flights 270 days in advance, there are simply no "contracted" seats available on non-stop flights (note: there may be seats available on the flight but Regent is only permitted a certain number of seats on each contracted flight).

Not trying to be harsh - this is simply reality. There is a saying in the U.S. that I think will translate well..... "the early bird gets the worm". In this case, those that book the furthest in advance get the best flights. I am sorry that this has put you off Regent somewhat. I know that we have had some horrendous flights with delays, etc. (not Regent's fault but it is upsetting). Flights are always the most difficult part of our trips which is why we make a concerted effort to make the best of every minute. We have turned long layovers into a great time at Heathrow (except in terminal 3 where it was a nightmare). In the future (after our November Miami to Miami 25 night cruise), we will try to avoid Miami for future cruises - partly because of the flights - partly because of the weather in Miami and partly because of the itineraries that go to the Caribbean. For those of us on the west coast of the U.S. and Canada, it is easier to fly to Hawaii and Tahiti and at least they are non-stop:D

BA keeps coming up in posts because apparently Regent uses BA in their advertisements in the U.K.

P.S. Gilly - just saw your post. It is a bit difficult to be sympathetic when we have lived with this for so long. I do feel badly that the U.K. and perhaps other countries will need to learn to adjust. It certainly isn't easy. And, we have cancelled cruises with layovers that are really long and are at airports without hotels inside. We did book the hotel at Heathrow once (when we were suppose to return from Cape Town via Heathrow) but ended up extending our cruise so we flew back from Rio instead (much easier).

Also, just read the differences of opinion regarding Business Class air from the U.K. to the U.S. Assume that it is included but is it for all passengers, PH and above, or do you have to pay for an upgrade?

.........or, because of the limitation of Business Class seats on each flight combined with the number of people they are trying to accommodate and given the fact that many people booked their flights 270 days in advance, there are simply no "contracted" seats available on non-stop flights (note: there may be seats available on the flight but Regent is only permitted a certain number of seats on each contracted flight).

Not trying to be harsh - this is simply reality. There is a saying in the U.S. that I think will translate well..... "the early bird gets the worm". In this case, those that book the furthest in advance get the best flights. I am sorry that this has put you off Regent somewhat. I know that we have had some horrendous flights with delays, etc. (not Regent's fault but it is upsetting). Flights are always the most difficult part of our trips which is why we make a concerted effort to make the best of every minute. We have turned long layovers into a great time at Heathrow (except in terminal 3 where it was a nightmare). In the future (after our November Miami to Miami 25 night cruise), we will try to avoid Miami for future cruises - partly because of the flights - partly because of the weather in Miami and partly because of the itineraries that go to the Caribbean. For those of us on the west coast of the U.S. and Canada, it is easier to fly to Hawaii and Tahiti and at least they are non-stop:D

BA keeps coming up in posts because apparently Regent uses BA in their advertisements in the U.K.

Er ...... I booked 14 months in advanced - does that not count as "an early bird?" In addition, as I have said in previous posts, we in the UK are not booked into Business Class seats and there are plenty of seats available on BA or Virgin (both direct).

P.S. Gilly - just saw your post. It is a bit difficult to be sympathetic when we have lived with this for so long. I do feel badly that the U.K. and perhaps other countries will need to learn to adjust.

I guess I'd hoped you'd be in favour of making it better for everyone rather than lowering the standards to the unsatisfactory situation you've had to live with for so long. Where there is a perfectly good hub airport nearby with direct flights to the destination of choice, it's more than unsatsfactory to be sent 'around the houses'.

Er ...... I booked 14 months in advanced - does that not count as "an early bird?" In addition, as I have said in previous posts, we in the UK are not booked into Business Class seats and there are plenty of seats available on BA or Virgin (both direct).

Unfortunately, booking the cruise doesn't count ...... it is when you book the flights (starting at 270 days prior to the cruise). I was thinking Business Class seats - nor Economy. To my knowledge, Regent has never partnered with Virgin. It will be interesting to learn what Regent has to say about your flights. Have you thought about emailing Regent in Miami? You may get a better response (in fact, if you do it now, they may respond tomorrow morning - their time). They may give you options or may ask you to pay a deviation fee. Even with a deviation fee, contracted seats on the flights may be booked this close to your cruise.

Where is you sailing to? I'm just interested - know that the question is off topic.

Well that concerns me BIG TIME. My TA assures me the transatlantic portion will be Business Class.

Well I just sent an email to my TA about both the transatlantic Business Class that I was assured was included and the direct flights as we have been discussing. Hopefully I will hear back from them in a day or two.

Unfortunately, booking the cruise doesn't count ...... it is when you book the flights (starting at 270 days prior to the cruise). I was thinking Business Class seats - nor Economy. To my knowledge, Regent has never partnered with Virgin. It will be interesting to learn what Regent has to say about your flights. Have you thought about emailing Regent in Miami? You may get a better response (in fact, if you do it now, they may respond tomorrow morning - their time). They may give you options or may ask you to pay a deviation fee. Even with a deviation fee, contracted seats on the flights may be booked this close to your cruise.

Where is you sailing to? I'm just interested - know that the question is off topic.

The holiday Nigelc has booked is a package holiday cruise and flights included. So that should definitely be eligible for the first offers of flight arrangements surely not?. In the U.K. Brouchure Regent state they are proud to partner with Virgin Airlines, and this has been in the last 3 editions at least of the big year to year brouchure, so it's not something new. Jean.

In relation to not offering "air", that's not a problem. The issue is taking my money and then providing poor flights. We must remember that the "air" is not "free", but included in the price.

Exactly right.

Booking something and getting more than you expected is true 'luxury'

Booking something and getting less than you expected is a big disappointment

The expectation of direct flights LHR to/from Miami has been set by Regent themselves in the past so to now offer less leads to the not unreasonable feeling of false marketing

Well I just sent an email to my TA about both the transatlantic Business Class that I was assured was included and the direct flights as we have been discussing. Hopefully I will hear back from them in a day or two.

You are probably OK if you have had Business class flights confirmed by your TA.

As well as Business flights for voyages in Europe (PH & above) Regent usually includes Business flights (PH & above) for cruises that start or end in Europe e.g. TransAtlantic crossings. Also there are other 'specials' sometimes offered.

Just need to check the carrier and routing; this info should be available about 11 months prior to you cruise.

Well I did my part and booked 14 months before the trip. If flights are such an issue, then Regent should do their part and book them at 270 days - or at least make me aware of the issue. I fully admit that I am not a travel expert, but do expect them to be. But I truly do not think that it is a case of a lack of available seats. As I have said before, I believe that it is Regent cutting costs at the expensive of their customers travel experience.

Indeed, the more I read the posts on this topic, the less I am impressed with Regent. From your comments, it seems that they have treated their USA customers very poorly for years and are now bringing this level of service to the UK market - well good luck with that. As I have said, I like Regent but it is not a case that I would book them at all costs. Especially when other cruise lines have always been so accommodating in the past.

If I do not have any success with the Southampton Office tomorrow, I do intend to contact the Miami office. However, as I have to work to pay for these trips, I am a bit restricted on time. Indeed, I book respected brands so I do not have to spend time messing about with these type of issues.

We are (possible) sailing to Mexico, Belize, Honduras, Florida Keys.

TC2, Please remember that this thread is primarily about flights arranged by Regent UK and that there are many differences to the air arrangements made by Regent in the US.

In particular, regarding your post:

• Regent UK do contract with Virgin
  • Regent flight arrangements in the UK are normally available about 11months prior (not 270 days)
  • Who would you suggest emailing in Miami who would be able to revise arrangements made by the UK air department?

TC2, Please remember that this thread is primarily about flights arranged by Regent UK and that there are many differences to the air arrangements made by Regent in the US.

In particular, regarding your post:

• Regent UK do contract with Virgin
  • Regent flight arrangements in the UK are normally available about 11months prior (not 270 days)
  • Who would you suggest emailing in Miami who would be able to revise arrangements made by the UK air department?

Sometimes it seems that there should be a "sticky" that deals with the differences between North America and the U.K. It would be helpful.

In terms of contacts, on the U.S./Canada website, when you go into "My Account" you can find a "Contact Us" link that you fill out. However, based on what you have said, it is likely that only management would know about U.K. bookings. Also, they likely would wonder why the TS is not happy with the bookings since it is not unusual at all (what is unusual is anyone flying Economy from the U.K. to Miami).

Just returned from having a couple of glasses of wine on the bay with my DH. Our U.K./U.S. discussions are quite interesting (we never argue). We discuss CC frequently and, surprisingly, he agrees with me more than one would think. While he considers himself British first, it seems that his point of view is often that of those of us in the U.S. and Canada. He does not like the airline "alliances" that were formed several years ago as it stifles competition amongst the airlines and has almost done away with non-stop flights. He is also more frustrated with BA than I am -- finding their service and even food to be sub-par to other international airlines (we both dislike U.S. based airlines intensely). OTOH, he loves the BA lounges in Vancouver and Terminal 5 at LHR.

I find it interesting that this is the first time in recent memory that this subject has come up from someone in the U.K. As you know, it is estimated that 20% of Regent cruisers are from the U.K. and it is in Regent's best interest to keep their U.K. passengers happy. Still, it is not in their best interest to offer U.K. residents better choices than they offer their U.S./Canadian passengers. After all, fair is fair.

Not sure what the answer is but I am interested in learning what, if anything, comes of the TS's dissatisfaction with flights.

Going back a few posts, TC you mentioned being able to log into the BA website to choose seating at the time of booking your cruise.

Here in the U.K. whilst the flights are confirmed at the time of booking we can't choose seating until the E ticket is issued after final payment.

A year or two back I wished to choose our seats well in advance for a transatlantic flight ( having been almost bumped off a flight the previous year because we hadn't chosen seats in advance and the flight was overbooked ( you were on the same flight from Lisbon as I remember ) I had to pay the final balance at the time of booking some eight months before departure to be allowed to do this.

BA has significantly upped the charges for reserving seats before the 24 hour checkin period. For our next cruise we have had to pay an extra £86 for the two of us for the flights and £120 for an extra suitcase. This is as bad as a budget airline which it seems to me BA is becoming...no included food just Marks & Spencer sandwiches to buy!

So are US citizens treated differently by BA to U.K. ones in terms of choosing seats in advance?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gary,

If I have guessed correctly the cruise you have booked then it is clear that your PH booking includes Business class air:

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV180621/summary/default.aspx

Hi Flossie,

Yes you have guessed correctly but I had not looked at the new page before - the price has really gone up even though everything is Wait Listed which I presume means sold out. My cabin went up £1020 though I guess this is like booking early on an airline - closer to flying time the more it usually costs.

Sometimes it seems that there should be a "sticky" that deals with the differences between North America and the U.K. It would be helpful.

A 'sticky' might be helpful, but many would probably not read the content.

Generally it just needs CC members to be aware, when posting and responding, that this is an international forum and that there can be significant differences between countries when it comes to cruises (booking conditions, payments, flight arrangements, offers, discounts & other perks, dealing with TAs etc etc)

In terms of contacts, on the U.S./Canada website, when you go into "My Account" you can find a "Contact Us" link that you fill out. However, based on what you have said, it is likely that only management would know about U.K. bookings. Also, they likely would wonder why the TS is not happy with the bookings since it is not unusual at all (what is unusual is anyone flying Economy from the U.K. to Miami).

We also have a 'Contact Us' link on the UK website but in my experience responses through this route are sporadic and slow (days or weeks). In the UK, telephoning the Southampton office is the best way to go; the staff are always very helpful.

A layover of 5 hours in Newark for a flight from LHR to Miami is, IMO, an extremely unusual routing; more akin to a UK student intending to backpack in North America and looking for an ultra-cheap flight to get across the Pond, rather than a guest joining a luxury cruise line.

Why is flying Economy from the UK to Miami so unusual? Thousands of people do it every week.

I find it interesting that this is the first time in recent memory that this subject has come up from someone in the U.K. As you know, it is estimated that 20% of Regent cruisers are from the U.K. and it is in Regent's best interest to keep their U.K. passengers happy. Still, it is not in their best interest to offer U.K. residents better choices than they offer their U.S./Canadian passengers. After all, fair is fair.

These are very recent problems that are being discussed.

As many UK customers have reported, Regent UK previously provided very good air arrangements for customers; premium airlines, good flight timings, direct flights where available, reasonable prices for upgrades. However this seems to be changing.

:confused: Are you suggesting that this apparent change in Regent UK air policy, which is upsetting UK customers, has been driven by a desire to be 'fair' to Regent's North American customers? Surely this can't be true.

I hope nigelc gets a sensible response from Regent (i.e. a direct flight at no additional cost) and that Regent seriously reconsiders the air arrangements offered to all their customers in the future.

Going back a few posts, TC you mentioned being able to log into the BA website to choose seating at the time of booking your cruise.

Here in the U.K. whilst the flights are confirmed at the time of booking we can't choose seating until the E ticket is issued after final payment.

A year or two back I wished to choose our seats well in advance for a transatlantic flight ( having been almost bumped off a flight the previous year because we hadn't chosen seats in advance and the flight was overbooked ( you were on the same flight from Lisbon as I remember ) I had to pay the final balance at the time of booking some eight months before departure to be allowed to do this.

BA has significantly upped the charges for reserving seats before the 24 hour checkin period. For our next cruise we have had to pay an extra £86 for the two of us for the flights and £120 for an extra suitcase. This is as bad as a budget airline which it seems to me BA is becoming...no included food just Marks & Spencer sandwiches to buy!

So are US citizens treated differently by BA to U.K. ones in terms of choosing seats in advance?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Swansong, here in the US my experience with BA is that if you travel business class OR you are at least One World sapphire (EC silver or gold) you can book your seats at time of booking. I just reserved seats for a trip next May. Regards.

My apologies, I am One World emerald, so this overrides my comment about business class. I now recall when I didn't have the status I reserved a seat but it was a corporate high fare ticket. Sorry.

Unfortunately, we are not always able to tell where a person resides as they do not put their country on their page. And, there is certainly no way people outside of the U.S./Canada to know that the "Contact Us" on the rssc.com website takes a long time to respond to or that you cannot book seats on Regent booked flights when you are in the U.K. As we learned on this thread, even people in the U.K. can give different answers (and the same thing can happen with those of us in North America). Therefore, if there were a sticky, even though questions may still be asked on different threads, at least we would have a place to refer the poster to.

Of course I'm not suggesting that changes to flights in the U.K. has to do with fairness. I am suggesting that, for whatever reason (you cite Brexit), that airlines flying within the U.K. as well as to other international destinations may be following in the footsteps of what airlines have done in North America. As I stated previously, Regent is a customer of the airlines - not the other way around. Airlines dictate how many seats Regent can have on each contracted flight. We are not privy to that information but I know that many flights clearly have seats available but are "full" to Regent passengers because of that contract. My "fairness" comment spoke to the fact that It doesn't seem fair to expect better flights in the U.K. that we get in the U.S./Canada and the flight that the TS discussed is not much different than flights Regent U.S. books for their passengers. There are definitely differences between how things are handled in the U.K. vs. the U.S./Canada- some in favor of the U.K. - some in favor of North America. Again, we are dealing with airline rules - not Regent's.

You asked why flying economy from the U.K. to the U.S. is unusual. Actually, it isn't in general but is for passengers sailing on luxury cruise lines. Posters on this board have said more than once that they want a luxury experience that includes flights. IMO, flying coach is not a luxury experience - even if the flight is non-stop. As you know, there are recent threads on the Regent board complaining about the fact that they have to fly "Coach" within the U.S. So, if "we" complain about Coach flights within the U.S., it is likely that most of us will not be flying Coach internationally.

P.S. taxare - yes, based on your comments, BA does treat their customers in the U.K. differently than in the U.S. which is surprising since BA is a U.K. airline. I'm sure that you would agree that this is about the airline rather than Regent.