Beware: 5 Star Cruise - 1 Star Flights

nigelc

Well I just sent an email to my TA about both the transatlantic Business Class that I was assured was included and the direct flights as we have been discussing. Hopefully I will hear back from them in a day or two.

I have now had a reply from my TA.

1. She confirms that we are flying Business Class on both legs of our journey. This was apparently stated in the invoice from

RSSC back in April (unfortunately they never forwarded said invoice to me accidentally :') )

2. She phoned Regent Southampton re my concern for not getting a direct flight. My TA was told the flight information would

not be available until the first week in August but said it is highly unlikely that it would not be a Direct Flight into NYC as

there are so many of them. This suggests to me that they have not changed there flying policy as some have feared.

Anyway my TA says she will be on the case to look after my interests (lets hope that all ends well).

I have now had a reply from my TA.

1. She confirms that we are flying Business Class on both legs of our journey. This was apparently stated in the invoice from

RSSC back in April (unfortunately they never forwarded said invoice to me accidentally :') )

2. She phoned Regent Southampton re my concern for not getting a direct flight. My TA was told the flight information would

not be available until the first week in August but said it is highly unlikely that it would not be a Direct Flight into NYC as

there are so many of them. This suggests to me that they have not changed there flying policy as some have feared.

Anyway my TA says she will be on the case to look after my interests (lets hope that all ends well).

Sounds a lot more positive hopefully everything works out perfectly.

First the good news, I spoke to Regent Southampton on Monday and it seems that there is no problem with direct flights from Heathrow to Miami and back with BA. However, despite Regent advertising that BA is their preferred partner, to fly with them will cost me an extra £99 each way (economy class). It appears that they fully understand that flying their customers to Newark, just to have them sit and wait hours for their next flight, is not a great start to what is sold as a luxury holiday - but they are still going to do it unless you pay them more money. This is despite the fact that they admit that the cost of the United flights are not much different to those of BA (in fact I believe they are more expensive) and that there are lots of seats available on the direct BA flight.

So why put me on the United flight? My only thought is that they know people will pay more money to avoid the initial poor flight offer? Indeed, this reminds me of the current issues being discussed in the UK regarding Ryanair, where it appears you will not be issued seats together unless you pay to chose your seat. It seems that the random allocation of seats will always put people travelling together in different sections of the aircraft unless you pay extra. While they say that this is not their company policy, it is what is currently happening.

So is this really Regent trying to extract more money from customers due to the fall in the value of the £ against the $ - particularly, where they have booked in advance. Well this is where the bad, or at least sad news comes in. After agreeing to pay the ransom (yes, I know I should have done it before phoning Regent, but in my defence I have been working away) I checked the price that I could buy the BA tickets for. The outbound flight was priced at £201 and the inbound flight £266 (as at 3/7/17). Yes, Regent are charging me £198 to up grade my flights when the flights to me would only cost £467. In addition, they offered me an upgrade to premium economy for the outbound flight for £449, yet I can buy this ticket direct from BA for £475.

Well this got me thinking, as others have said on the forum, are Regent really trying to recoup extra £ from UK customers who booked early and before the flight information was available? Well I asked my friend to call Regent Southampton and enquire regarding the cost and flight arrangements if he booked the same holiday. Well surprise, surprise, he was offered the same BA flight I am now booked on - no mention of sending him via Newark or any additional cost for the flight. Yes, the price has gone up since I booked, but the point is that Regent would not even consider telling new customers that they would not have direct flights - why, because they know they would not book with them. However, they are happy to "ransom" those who follow their advice and book early - well that's my personal take on it.

Well I hope Regent enjoys the "ransom" extracted from me. However, will it be worth it? Well all I can say is that at the time of writing this, over 3,000 people have viewed the thread, I have been telling the story to anyone who mentions holidays and, as for me, I will not be booking with them again.

I'd just add that even though you priced out the two different flights, the price that you see online vs. what Regent may have negotiated with the airlines are going to be two very different numbers. They buy blocks of seats with different carriers, and although I don't claim to know how the allocate seats, I'm pretty certain they're not holding seats for "ransom".

My guess is that the £99 upcharge is the deviation fee that everyone pays to select flights other than what Regent's Air Desk comes up with (I believe it's $179 here in the US).

I'm sorry you aren't happy with the way this was handled. Sounds like you might have been ahead to take the air credit and book your own flights - might have been easier.

Well my question is, how come anyone booking now is offered direct flights as standard? I also do not know what Regent pay for seats, the point of looking to see how much the BA flights were was to see if they were expensive compared to other options - it turns out, that buying them as an individual, they were the cheapest. I am not trying to start a "conspiracy theory" here, just pointing out that at best this is poor customer service from a luxury curise company.

Well my question is, how come anyone booking now is offered direct flights as standard? I also do not know what Regent pay for seats, the point of looking to see how much the BA flights were was to see if they were expensive compared to other options - it turns out, that buying them as an individual, they were the cheapest. I am not trying to start a "conspiracy theory" here, just pointing out that at best this is poor customer service from a luxury curise company.

That would be a fair question to ask Regent - if they're encouraging early booking, they should extend the best flights to the folks who book early, not the other way around. Personally, I'd call them and ask that exact question - "why do I book early and get the bad flights when someone who booked much later gets the better flights without having to pay a deviation?"

I'm sure that Regent has some method to their madness, and I'm also sure that the pricing is a constantly moving target for them. It's very difficult to compare day-to-day retail flight pricing to what a cruise line may have paid for a block - I know I've priced flights one day, and then I look at them 2 days later and they've gone up over 50%. It's a wildly fluctuating market.

I'm not saying what they did is right, but it's also not really fair to call their deviation fee a 'ransom' when there are any number of threads on here that talk about that very subject. I also agree that it's not the best way to handle customers...

Great news that you got your direct flights, but shame on Regent UK air department for charging you extra for the 'privilege'. (This shows that contracted seats were always available)

Just to add another item to your maths, if you book your own flights Regent should give you a flight refund (air credit); obviously you would also have to organise & pay for your own transfers and any pre-cruise hotel involved but it may be worth ringing them again to discuss further options before they ticket the flights.

So now we know what Regent means by "free flights". It actually means "We include flights but if they cost more than we budgeted at the time we sold you the Package, we will expect you to foot the bill, or just give you the worst routing we can find. We don't want you Brits to have too much of a luxury experience!"

Anyway, after all this hassle, please try to put it behind you and enjoy your cruise

PS: Bill, the deviation fee in the UK is £50pp (so £99pp is not a deviation fee)

PPS: nigelc, it might be worth sharing your flight issues with ABTA; Regent UK are members.

Edited by flossie009

Let me start by saying that I am not a full time defender of Regent, we enjoy them very much, but feel my posts discuss the positives and negatives. I agree with Nigelc that this whole experience has been disappointing to say the least and it doesn't make sense or fair for nonstop flights to be offered to passengers that booked later. I would be frustrated with Regent as well. I have used Regent Air, my saved award miles and purchased tickets. I always know what flights I want when I call my travel agent and always pay the deviation fee so I can get the flights buttoned up as soon as possible. There was one time that I had to pay a nominal additional amount over the deviation fee since the flights I wanted were not part of their normal contracted seats. One other consideration in addition to flossie009 points. We were on a Regent cruise that ended during Hurricane Sandy here in the states. Almost all flights to the Northeast US were cancelled. We had purchased Regent air for that cruise. The destinations personnel on the ship went into high gear and worked nonstop to arrange alternative flights for hundreds of passengers. They took care of everything and we were impressed. With all of the disruptions in Europe and the US these days, weather, personnel strikes and slowdowns, etc. one additional benefit of using Regent Air is they will get you to the ship and return you home, and in those rare situations reduces the stress significantly. I don't always use them as I have lots of award miles left, but just a consideration. Nigelc, I hope you get this completely resolved and it is a shame it has gotten to this point. Regards.

PS: Bill, the deviation fee in the UK is £50pp (so £99pp is not a deviation fee)

Flossie - that's even more upsetting as our deviation fee over on this side of the puddle is $179. Frankly, we kind of just add this cost in as part of the cruise fare when we're booking as we know we'll probably deviate.

So now we know what Regent means by "free flights". It actually means "We include flights but if they cost more than we budgeted at the time we sold you the Package, we will expect you to foot the bill, or just give you the worst routing we can find. We don't want you Brits to have too much of a luxury experience!"

Your comment "We don't want you Brits to have too much of a luxury experience" blew me away. Do you really believe that or was it posted out of frustration? Regent does have to treat passengers in some countries differently due to their consumer protection laws (thinking of the difference between deposits in the U.K. vs. the U.S. etc.) but there is no conspiracy to give people from the U.K. less of an experience than people in the U.S. Of course Regent is going to charge passengers when an airfare or even an excursion costs more than what is budgeted. It is simply how businesses run.

Bill, I agree with most of what you said but do not necessarily think that people that book far in advance should have an advantage in terms of fights (anymore than I think that Gold and above Seven Seas Society members should have an advantage). As you said, fights and pricing is a moving target -- sometimes you get good deals and sometimes you don't. I suspect (but don't know) that Regent estimates how many seats they will need to book for their guests - taking into consideration that some will deviate, others will opt out of air and still others will wait to see what Regent presents them with. If they run out of contracted seats they still have to give the passengers flights and it seems that sometimes, at the last minute (or 75 days prior to the cruise), they are offered better flights and other times the fights are not as good.

We did what you do in terms of mentally including deviation in the cruise fare (as you know, we now get free deviation). It is obvious to me that there are more flights/seats available at 270 days than there is when Regent books all of the passengers that have not deviated.

In any case, you made a good point that the deviation fee in the U.K. is dramatically less than the U.S.

I would like to make a comment regarding "Direct Flights vs. Non-Stop Flights" (from iFly.com) since there is a slight difference and is why I use the term non-stop so that there is no question about what I'm referring to:

"Getting from Point A to Point B isn't always 'direct'. The airlines use what many consider to be confusing terms regarding stops and connections. What is a 'Direct flight'? Are non-stop fights the same as direct flights? Ad does 'connecting flight' relate to.a direct flight? There are three categories of flights that affect your travel:

Non-stop: a flight from an origin airport which goes directly to the destination airport, without any connections or plane changes. If you want the shortest travel time, fly from your city non-stop. Non-stop flights are usually the most expensive compared to direct or connecting flights.

Direct flight: a flight from your origin city which does not require passengers to change planes. However, while not a non-stop flight, you probably still have to land at a connecting city or airline hub. It just means that the flight number remains the same and you do not have to change aircraft. Often times when you see a flight schedule it may not indicate that there is a connection.

Connection Service: means your flight from your departure Airport will have at least one connection, and most likely a plane change as well. So that great fare from SLC you found ones at a price!"

Hope that this was helpful to the discussion.

All the theories are simply interesting as none of the posters are privy to the inner workings of any cruise line and they are simply unsubstantiated theories. And, I'll add one more unsubstantiated theory and that is that they are simply trying to maximize profitability, All companies try to do this and some are more overzealous than others.

As to the definition of Direct Flight vs. Non-Stop, also wish people would use non-stop as it is very different than direct. One correction to the definition posted is that there is a chance you will have to change planes on a Direct Flight. Have experienced it several times myself and sometimes because of equipment problems and sometimes planned. For example have seen flights overseas that have a stop before heading over the pond where the aircraft for the first portion is a 737 or similar which most airlines don't fly overseas and at the last stop before the overseas hop the aircraft is changed to a wide body and passengers have to disembark and then board the new aircraft.

The moral is if you ask an airline person for a direct flight, there is a chance it is not non-stop to your destination. And remember, all flights are non-stops but, not necessarily to your final destination.

Of course they want to maximize profitability and, as I posted above, if a requested flight is going to cost more than the contracted price, Regent will charge you.

Back to the U.S. vs. U.K. flights. I know that those of us in North America have Business Class flights included internationally (which is just about everywhere) but we are paying a lot of money for it. Prior to included Business Class, we paid up to $4,000/person to upgrade to Business Class. Recently we took a $12,000 air credit from Regent and booked our own flights for $8,700 which is a good savings. These flights were to and from Asia from Vancouver, B.C. If we had not reached Titanium level, we would have lost our transfers to and from the ship.

IMO, it has been helpful to share information/differences. While the policies/rules are different, I don't see where one is better than the other.

Sorry to hear about your airfare situation as well! We are going on Voyager in Sept. and after reading about the Regents air situations, I opted for the $175 air deviation (hated to spend the $350 after spending so much on cruise) but also was not willing to gamble that they would not give me a direct flight on a decent airline and the problem is they wait till 90 days, and then the good flights are booked or more expensive. Also, they booked a precruise hotel at over $500 a night (I know cause I added on extra night) and I wouldn't have chosen this hotel if booked myself would be $350 and if I don't stay at their choice will lose transfers. So next time, will research doing own airfare, own hotel, own transfers to see if the "Credit" they give is worth it.

Jean

We know a deviation would of avoided this ....

Got our Regent business class air schedule for our September 2017 cruise (London to Barcelona). Very disappointed (to say the least) that we did not get a non stop outbound flight from Chicago to London, even though there are many direct flights.

They have us on KLM through Amsterdam with a connecting flight to London. Amsterdam is further from Chicago than London. So we have to spend an extra 3 hours traveling (extra flight time plus layover) plus inconvenience of a plane change.

We realize we could of deviated to get the flights we wanted -- but felt the odds of getting a non stop flight were in our favor flying out of Chicago O'Hare. Regent no doubt chose this routing because it was cheaper. Just want to echo the threat title: "Beware: 5 Star Cruise - 1 Star Flights."

We know a deviation would of avoided this ....

We realize we could of deviated to get the flights we wanted -- but felt the odds of getting a non stop flight were in our favor flying out of Chicago O'Hare. Regent no doubt chose this routing because it was cheaper. Just want to echo the threat title: "Beware: 5 Star Cruise - 1 Star Flights."

Your flights also sound typical, however, keep in mind that Regent negotiates flights with the airlines. The airlines are not going to "sell"/"contract" their easy to sell non-stop fights as reasonably as they sell flights with one stop. If Regent was paying the airlines top dollar for the non-stop flights, the cost would ultimately be coming out of the passengers pocket (and included Business Class air would likely cease to exist).

Your flights also sound typical, however, keep in mind that Regent negotiates flights with the airlines. The airlines are not going to "sell"/"contract" their easy to sell non-stop fights as reasonably as they sell flights with one stop. If Regent was paying the airlines top dollar for the non-stop flights, the cost would ultimately be coming out of the passengers pocket (and included Business Class air would likely cease to exist).

I understand your point. However, we must remember that Regent promotes themselves as providing "the most inclusive luxury experience". As flights form part of the holiday package, I would expect them to reflect this promise. If this means the price of the holiday is higher, so be it - at least the customer will have the choice to book or not, rather being disappointed after the deposit has been paid or even worse having to pay more money out to get the type of flight they were expecting.

I understand your point. However, we must remember that Regent promotes themselves as providing "the most inclusive luxury experience". As flights form part of the holiday package, I would expect them to reflect this promise. If this means the price of the holiday is higher, so be it - at least the customer will have the choice to book or not, rather being disappointed after the deposit has been paid or even worse having to pay more money out to get the type of flight they were expecting.

I agree the inclusive luxury should include at least direct flights.

After reading your posts we will not use Regent but i hope you get things sorted and eventually have a fantastic holiday.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

flossie gave me a better understanding of what "holiday packages" are in the U.K. This type of thing does not exist in the U.S. Now I understand where your expectations are coming from. In the U.S., we are basically paying for an all-inclusive luxury cruise with hotel and air add-ons. We understand that the hotel and air will not be the same level of luxury as our onboard experience. In fact, once we leave the ship, everything is a bit of a let down compared to what we just experienced.

So, while I understand that "holidays" are done differently in the U.K. than "vacations" in the U.S., one must understand that the majority of passengers are from North America and it would be difficult (if not impossible) to have one set of air contracts for only 20% of their passengers and another set of air contracts for the rest of their passengers.

It is coincidental that I read this thread after spending 2 hours with United Airlines on flights that we booked ourselves (both Business/First class). My DH suggested checking on our November flights. When I did so, I learned that everything had changed (and, of course, no one contacted us - if we had booked through Regent, they would have contacted us)). The one change I wanted to bring up was returning home from Miami. We were going to depart Miami around noon with a brief stop in Houston, Texas before flying to our home airport. The "new" itinerary had us leaving at noon but making a stop both in Houston and in Denver, Colorado. We likely felt like you did when your flight had one stop. After what seemed to take forever on the phone, we were able to change to flights to a 3:20 p.m. departure (leaving us too many hours in Miami) with only a brief stop in Houston. Is it any wonder that Regent charges for deviation?

Hope that understanding the differences in how things are done in the U.S. and Canada may make the connecting flights a bit easier to swallow:)

Have to agree completely with your expectations nigelc. You have the holiday packages that include hotel and airfare and on a luxury line all three pieces should be luxury at least for the prices we pay. There is no difference between holiday packages in the UK and inclusive cruise lines that include hotel and air fare and people in the US/Canada also expect a luxury experience from end to end.and both UK and US/Canadian customers are paying for an all inclusive holiday experience no matter the side of the Atlantic we live on. There is no difference in expectations.

That said, if the cruise is not all inclusive in the US/Canada and not part of a holiday package in the UK, the same expectations would not apply. When flights are included in the cruise experience, the booking needs to be seamless as best as possible and extra deviation costs should be nominal and not the jaw dropping $350 per couple. While there is a bit more time required when flights are being booked that is already covered in the cruise fare for the included air and strongly doubt the extra time for a deviation would normally take more than a few minutes and not be worth the $350 charged. After booking when flights and times are changed thru no fault of the customer, in order to try to get close to the original schedule would normally take a bit longer than booking of the original flights where the flights and times are right in front of the agent Agree doing a deviation is slightly more costly than using the included flights but, certainly not the $350 extra charged. All inclusive should be all inclusive without nickeling and diming. There are things included that people won't partake of and don't expect a credit so why should small extras that everyone won't take create extra costs?

An all inclusive luxury cruise for the US/Canada and a luxury holiday package in the UK and elsewhere have the exact same expectations on both sides of the Atlantic and elsewhere on planet Earth. You deserved to be treated better Nigel and hope you have a wonderful cruise experience from beginning to end.

And, remember folks, direct flights and non-stop flights are 2 different types of flights. Non-stop means the flight is not scheduled to stop between the origin and destination. Direct means the flight will stop at least once and possibly more times before getting to your destination and there is the chance with a direct flight that at some point you might have to change planes as well. If you ask an airline peerson for a direct flight you will be stopping before getting to your destination so ask for what you really want.

rallydave: Could not disagree with you more. Firstly, when you are paying $20K+ for a cruise, $350/couple is a drop in the bucket to most of us. And, apparently the expectations in the U.S. and Canada are not the same as in the U.K. or we would be reading more threads about being dissatisfied with Regent flights.

If you feel that there is an airline/flight where you can fly coach and have a luxury experience, please let all of us know about it as this is what is the TS is having difficulty with.

I'm not sure why you would think that deviating would only take a "few minutes". People/TA's contact Regent and want certain flights. Many of these flights are either not available or not under contract. This requires further searching and negotiation. This negotiation could take quite a long time. Not sure if you have ever deviated with Regent but it has become more difficult due to the airlines (not because of Regent).

Regent does not "nickel and dime". You can book a cruise with included air and hotel and not pay a cent more. OTOH, if you want special flights or a special hotel, you take a credit and pay for the air and hotel on your own. This is a personal choice.

"Holiday packages" booked in the U.K. and vacations U.S. are not the same as they are not regulated in the U.S. as they are in the U.K.

I did not know a lot of this stuff until I read posts from people in the U.K. In this case, I have learned that it helps to learn from people familiar with the differences than to make assumptions. IMO, you have made some assumptions!

Well, we use our miles and are top tiered with Delta, United and American. It is harder and harder to use them but we use a service that can get us First or Business. We never have used Regent Air or for that matter any cruise air program. Sometimes we use AMEX Centurion/Platinum for two for one and we can deviate at no extra charge. It's a no brainer for us. We still have to pay the taxes and security fees which is a drop in the bucket.

rallydave: Could not disagree with you more. Firstly, when you are paying $20K+ for a cruise, $350/couple is a drop in the bucket to most of us. And, apparently the expectations in the U.S. and Canada are not the same as in the U.K. or we would be reading more threads about being dissatisfied with Regent flights.

If you feel that there is an airline/flight where you can fly coach and have a luxury experience, please let all of us know about it as this is what is the TS is having difficulty with.

I'm not sure why you would think that deviating would only take a "few minutes". People/TA's contact Regent and want certain flights. Many of these flights are either not available or not under contract. This requires further searching and negotiation. This negotiation could take quite a long time. Not sure if you have ever deviated with Regent but it has become more difficult due to the airlines (not because of Regent).

Regent does not "nickel and dime". You can book a cruise with included air and hotel and not pay a cent more. OTOH, if you want special flights or a special hotel, you take a credit and pay for the air and hotel on your own. This is a personal choice.

"Holiday packages" booked in the U.K. and vacations U.S. are not the same as they are not regulated in the U.S. as they are in the U.K.

I did not know a lot of this stuff until I read posts from people in the U.K. In this case, I have learned that it helps to learn from people familiar with the differences than to make assumptions. IMO, you have made some assumptions!

Sorry, Topcat2 but there are complaints from US customers regarding this topic - please see the example below:

"Feb 21 0 comments

Not resolved

Wife and I booked a trip yesterday with Regency for 8/17.All suites came with business class airfare.

Related: Regent Seven Seas Cruises - Regent delivers memories, the kind you want to forget!

Then told we would have to pay $175 each to get non stop business flight. Then we were told all non stop business seats from JFK were booked. We were given the choose to leave and return from Newark airport and pay an extra $500 each for non stop. We leave 25 minutes from JFK.

When I looked online there were 12 seats available going and 12 seats available coming home in business class on Delta flight non stop to JFK I understand they book a certain number of seats, but that should have to stated prior to our down payment for the trip. There has been no help from the cruise line to get 2 seats from and to JFK.

Ask the right questions before booking.They are not forth coming.

Review about: Regent Seven Seas Cruises Customer Care.

Reason of review: Poor customer service."

https://regent-seven-seas-cruises.pissedconsumer.com/false-advertising-201702211011666.html?utm_expid=.DIzTMCLeQgGsJtQAtppOFQ.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fregent-seven-seas-cruises.pissedconsumer.com%2F

For those of you who have an Amex Platinum card, changes have recently been made to the previous 2-for-1 full fare business/first class tickets. Rather than my typing incorrect information (there's a bunch there to read), I suggest you go to the website (under International Airlines Program) and check it out. One thing I do remember is that Amex is charging $39 a ticket, but you can now book 1-8 tickets. Specific airlines participate. Different discounts now exist; I think you have to call and ask.

We used the prior system when we bought 2 business class tickets on Emirates in April when we returned to the Navigator World Cruise in Dubai, after coming back to the US for a family funeral. My husband's ticket was full-fare; the cost for my ticket was only taxes and fees, around $700. It was definitely a good deal, and we were able to fly direct from Dulles (we live in Baltimore) to Dubai.

We are definitely going to look into the new program for our August, 2018 Explorer cruise.