Beware: 5 Star Cruise - 1 Star Flights

nigelc

I cannot agree more. The whole point that I was trying to make in my original post is that when you book a trip with such luxury companies as Regent, you expect the whole package (including flights) to be of the same quality. I am happy to pay the premium for the Regent product so that I am not "nickel and dimed" at every turn on the ship, but equally so that the arrangements that they make for my travel are of the same quality. Why would a person travelling from such a major city as London to an equally major city as Miami have to spend hours being routed around the world to save Regent a few $'s. In my humble view, I am paying for a premium package, but getting very poor flights.

I do not blame my TA, it is 100% Regent - as I booked so far in advance, as promoted by most cruise lines including Regent, there were no flight details available. As such, you have to rely on the reputation of the brand. In this case, my trust was very misplaced and it is likely to cost me my deposit and Regent a customer.

In relation to undertaking research for flights etc, it never crossed my mind that I needed to do such a thing. But why would it? After all, I am booking a PH on a luxury cruise line through a very large and experienced TA. In simple terms, I concentrate on earning the £'s to pay for the holiday and expect them to take care of the holiday details. This may sound naïve, but we are only talking about the simple need for them to book a direct flight from and to two major cities - something that has been done many time before for me by other cruise lines.

As I said in one of my previous posts, I will speak directly with Regent tomorrow and see what happens. However, the more I think about it, why should I have to pay for deviation etc when all I am looking for is something that should be a minimum standard from any luxury cruise line. After all, how many of us would book with them if their advertising stated "luxury cruise, but the flights that we use to get you there are so poor that they will make you want to cancel your holiday.

I am with you 100% i hope everything is sorted to your satisfaction.

Just like Jean, we have always chosen and specified to Regent which flights we want to take. We are members of a frequent flier scene, so have preferences and have always applied them. Yes, it's a luxury travel experience, which I interpret as offering flexibility to accommodate our wishes. We deal direct with Regent uk about such things and have a cruise booked for next Spring which begins in Singapore. Our chosen flight was unavailable when we booked, so we made a reservation for the same flight but on the day before, thinking we'd factor in an extra day of fun. Just before we came away (we are currently travelling in the US) we had a call from Regent, offering us seats on the original flight. We decided to stick with the extra day though :cool: We have always had excellent, personal service from Regent in Southampton, where staff have done their best to accommodate our sometimes complex requests. (We seldom travel directly to or from a cruise and usually factor in some other plans along the way)

I'm in the minority here, probably because I spent years in the American west and was just accustomed to having one stop whenever I flew to Europe. We now gateway out of Charlotte and we sometimes get direct flights, and sometimes connect. Most times our flights are acceptable but we've also deviated to get the flights we wanted. For example, our next cruise we had the option of several connecting cities (no direct options) but we asked our TA to connect us through Newark since our family members we're traveling with are originating there. One call, no worries.

My experienc is that Regent has always tried to accommodate us - I understand that there are a lot of complexities when dealing with bulk travel and numerous airlines. Frankly I'm sometimes surprised that they can handle all the arrangements as well as they do.

The flight issue outlined by the TS/OP and others is a recent specific problem with the air department of Regent UK.

The underlying cause appears to be the drop in the £-$ exchange rate following Brexit which has had a knock-on effect on the prices that British based airlines, particularly BA, are trying to charge cruise lines (the airlines buy their fuel in $)

As with others, we have always in the past enjoyed excellent direct flights booked through Regent, but an experience last month mirrored the issues suffered by nigelc and redmaid.

For a Business class flight from Miami to Heathrow in Spring 2018, Regent has booked us on a Lufthansa flight via Frankfurt. In order to put us on a direct BA flight they require an additional £400 pp or for Virgin (awful flight timings) an additional £99 pp. (These additional costs exclude flight deviation fees as we are Platinum SSS members)

Final alternative is to take the air credit, in our case £638 pp; booking the flight direct with BA would be just over £6,000 pp so not an option.

We have expressed our displeasure both with our (excellent) TA and Regent, and have elevated the issue to executives in Regent UK and Miami. They are not budging, even though we have pointed out, amongst other things, that the Regent UK brochure advertises in a glossy full-page spread that Regent’s 'Preferred Partner’ is British Airways (not Lufthansa)

We can understand Regent UK’s difficulties with ‘balancing their books’ but think that their handling of this issue is liable to lose them some valued customers. It is not quite yet a deal-breaker for us but, with ever increasing cruise prices and these added difficulties with air transport, it could be in the future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For our friends from the US here are some notes on UK Booking Conditions, with particular respect to flights:

1. Regent normally confirms flight arrangements for UK customers about 11 months in advance

2. Regent “…reserve the right to choose the air carrier and routing”………….. "your booked flight may not be be the most direct route and may also involve a stop en-route…..”

3. “Guests opting to deviate their flight will be required to pay a £50pp fee plus any applicable fare increases fees/penalties charged by the airlines”

4. If a UK customer opts to cancel their cruise booking at any time from the time of booking they forfeit their 20% deposit (unless they booked on board)

I'm in the minority here, probably because I spent years in the American west and was just accustomed to having one stop whenever I flew to Europe. We now gateway out of Charlotte and we sometimes get direct flights, and sometimes connect. Most times our flights are acceptable but we've also deviated to get the flights we wanted. For example, our next cruise we had the option of several connecting cities (no direct options) but we asked our TA to connect us through Newark since our family members we're traveling with are originating there. One call, no worries.

My experienc is that Regent has always tried to accommodate us - I understand that there are a lot of complexities when dealing with bulk travel and numerous airlines. Frankly I'm sometimes surprised that they can handle all the arrangements as well as they do.

I can fully understand the complexities with dealing with bulk travel, but it is their chosen business. If they cannot deal with it, it my be another reason not to book with them.

I also understand the issues of not always being able to have a direct flight. Indeed, I do not want readers to think I am a difficult customer - I do not live in London and as Birmingham Airport (my local airport) is not a Regent gateway, my first flight (at my expensive) is from Birmingham to London Heathrow, followed by Heathrow to Newark and then Newark to Miami. I fully accept that the Birmingham leg is nothing to do with Regent.

The flight issue outlined by the TS/OP and others is a recent specific problem with the air department of Regent UK.

The underlying cause appears to be the drop in the £-$ exchange rate following Brexit which has had a knock-on effect on the prices that British based airlines, particularly BA, are trying to charge cruise lines (the airlines buy their fuel in $)

As with others, we have always in the past enjoyed excellent direct flights booked through Regent, but an experience last month mirrored the issues suffered by nigelc and redmaid.

For a Business class flight from Miami to Heathrow in Spring 2018, Regent has booked us on a Lufthansa flight via Frankfurt. In order to put us on a direct BA flight they require an additional £400 pp or for Virgin (awful flight timings) an additional £99 pp. (These additional costs exclude flight deviation fees as we are Platinum SSS members)

Final alternative is to take the air credit, in our case £638 pp; booking the flight direct with BA would be just over £6,000 pp so not an option.

We have expressed our displeasure both with our (excellent) TA and Regent, and have elevated the issue to executives in Regent UK and Miami. They are not budging, even though we have pointed out, amongst other things, that the Regent UK brochure advertises in a glossy full-page spread that Regent’s 'Preferred Partner’ is British Airways (not Lufthansa)

We can understand Regent UK’s difficulties with ‘balancing their books’ but think that their handling of this issue is liable to lose them some valued customers. It is not quite yet a deal-breaker for us but, with ever increasing cruise prices and these added difficulties with air transport, it could be in the future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For our friends from the US here are some notes on UK Booking Conditions, with particular respect to flights:

1. Regent normally confirms flight arrangements for UK customers about 11 months in advance

2. Regent “…reserve the right to choose the air carrier and routing”………….. "your booked flight may not be be the most direct route and may also involve a stop en-route…..”

3. “Guests opting to deviate their flight will be required to pay a £50pp fee plus any applicable fare increases fees/penalties charged by the airlines”

4. If a UK customer opts to cancel their cruise booking at any time from the time of booking they forfeit their 20% deposit (unless they booked on board)

I think that this is very short sighted of the Senior Regent Management. We enjoyed our first Regent cruise so much that we did not really look at what other companies were offering as we wanted to try another Regent ship. However, due to these flight problems, I have been looking at a replacement for our November Regent trip and have found an interesting deal with another cruise line. I figure that it is likely to be a case of giving Regent more money, and I will be moaning about it during the whole trip, or lose the deposit and just book with another company who treats its customers better - either option will probably will cost me the same, but I will feel better about not giving Regent more money.

Just as a foot note, a friend of mine was about to book a Regent cruise (influenced by my previous excellent experience), but since my flight issue, has decided to relook at the alternatives. While four travellers may be small change to a large company like Regent, it does show how the "word of mouth" can influence peoples decisions. However, just to be fair, I have said wait until I see what Regent offers tomorrow.

I think that this is very short sighted of the Senior Regent Management. We enjoyed our first Regent cruise so much that we did not really look at what other companies were offering as we wanted to try another Regent ship. However, due to these flight problems, I have been looking at a replacement for our November Regent trip and have found an interesting deal with another cruise line. I figure that it is likely to be a case of giving Regent more money, and I will be moaning about it during the whole trip, or lose the deposit and just book with another company who treats its customers better - either option will probably will cost me the same, but I will feel better about not giving Regent more money.

Just as a foot note, a friend of mine was about to book a Regent cruise (influenced by my previous excellent experience), but since my flight issue, has decided to relook at the alternatives. While four travellers may be small change to a large company like Regent, it does show how the "word of mouth" can influence peoples decisions. However, just to be fair, I have said wait until I see what Regent offers tomorrow.

Please tell us what they come up with tomorrow to help our decision making.

I can fully understand the complexities with dealing with bulk travel, but it is their chosen business. If they cannot deal with it, it my be another reason not to book with them.

IMO, their "chosen business" is providing a luxury cruise experience for their guests. They contract with airlines, hotels and excursion companies to provide extra amenities but the off-board experience has never matched the onboard experience.

In order for Regent to offer flights, they need to contract with airlines at a price that makes it doable. The airlines are not likely to discount their rates for their best non-stop flights that they can easily sell to the public. Remember that Regent is a customer of the airlines - they are not in control of them in any way.

There have always been customers that prefer to book their own air which is why Regent offers a credit. If you want "included" air without paying deviation, you are pretty much putting yourself in the hands of Regent that is limited as to what they can offer. If you think about it, they are trying to put their passengers on international flights that are Business Class which in and of itself is limiting.

It is highly unlikely that Regent is going to change their air policy so I hope that the TS can accept the less than ideal flights and not get so upset that it ruins the onboard cruise experience. Regent really is a great cruise line and they offer more inclusive amenities than other luxury cruise lines.

P.S. I am puzzled about the thought that Brexit has anything to do with this unless it has solely to do with BA. There have been articles in the U.S. newspapers about the decline in service. Perhaps they are losing business (they have pretty much lost ours), are changing flight schedules or ??? IMO, Lufthansa has better food - better service but very uncomfortable seats (just being honest) but for the relatively short fights from Europe to the eastern part of the U.S., we would now rather fly Lufthansa than BA.

In the UK, Regent's chosen business is selling and operating Package Holidays (a defined term under UK Regulations) which includes flights.

Regent have sold these Package Holidays under an advertising banner which includes the use of British Airways flights (for better or worse, but the use of BA does at least imply direct flights for the majority of routes).

As there is some misunderstanding about the effects of Brexit, I will explain in more detail:

• Brexit has resulted in a devaluation of the £ against the dollar of approximately 15%
  • If someone from the UK booked a cruise say one year ago then Regent's dollar income from the final payment in £ on this booking will be approx 15% less than Regent expected when they set the price
  • BA pay for fuel in $ and therefore need to increase fares to UK customers paying in £ (including Regent UK) by at least 15% to compensate.
  • Regent UK are therefore trawling the market for cheaper airlines in order to mitigate their potential 'losses'
  • This is resulting in some very disappointed UK customers who are either faced with inconvenient flights and/or extra charges that they were not expecting when they booked

Hope this clarifies, rather than further confusing matters

Question for Travelcat, do you pay the full balance of the cruise 270 days out to choose the flights you want? I have done this with Oceania (always have to deviate) and would expect the process is the same with Regent. Thanks.

Question for Travelcat, do you pay the full balance of the cruise 270 days out to choose the flights you want? I have done this with Oceania (always have to deviate) and would expect the process is the same with Regent. Thanks.

You only have to pay the deviation fee at the time you book an air deviation. Whether or not you do an air deviation, final payment is not due until 90 or 150 days before the cruise depending on the length of the cruise. World cruises probably have a different final payment date.

Hope this helps.

Thankfully Regent is not run like Oceania. No, we do not pay the full balance of the cruise 270 days out (cannot imagine doing that). We have Regent book our flights and then go into the airline website to change our seats to what we would like them to be. In terms of BA, the only international airline that I know of that charges to book seats in advance, Regent's contract permits them to book seats immediately and we can easily go into the website and change them. We pay the balance of our cruise fare a month or so before it is due. Hope this is good news for you:D

Flossie, do you remember when Regent did not include air for people living in the U.K. (they still do not in Australia and other parts of the world)? How did that fit into the required "packaged holidays" that you mentioned? Are you saying that someone living in the U.K. cannot book a flight to a resort anywhere in the world without it including air? Please bear with me as I have not heard of this before now.

Also, while partnering with BA may imply non-stop flights to people in the U.K, it is rare that we have a non-stop flight on BA to anywhere except LHR. As you know, BA are codeshare partners with other airlines including Air Berlin, American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LATAM Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines Some of these airlines are clearly better than others and some do not fly within the U.S. So, when Regent advertises BA or any other airline that is part of an alliance, it is not atypical for people to be put on another airline. We have been on flights that list two or three different airlines that are flying on the same plane.

It makes sense that Regent is trying to save money. Sometimes BA's pricing is twice that of other airlines (depending upon the route). Other times Lufthansa is exorbitant. However, if Regent states that they will put all passengers who live in the U.K. on British Airways, that is a different story.

Flossie, do you remember when Regent did not include air for people living in the U.K. (they still do not in Australia and other parts of the world)? How did that fit into the required "packaged holidays" that you mentioned? Are you saying that someone living in the U.K. cannot book a flight to a resort anywhere in the world without it including air? Please bear with me as I have not heard of this before now.

We have only sailed with Regent since 2009 and since then they have always offered included air for those in the UK. However we are still on the same system that used to apply in the US i.e. prices generally include Economy air apart from PH Suites and above for which prices include Business air for those cruises beginning or ending in Europe.

Regent have only started offering air for other European countries in the last couple of years.

Of course we are allowed to book flights independently (and can take an air credit from Regent). However, in that case the holiday is not 'protected' in the same way as a 'Package Holiday' that includes flights.

So, when Regent advertises BA or any other airline that is part of an alliance, it is not atypical for people to be put on another airline.

The relevant alliance that includes BA is 'oneworld'.

Neither United (nigelc's flight) or Lufthansa (redmaid's & our flight) are part of that alliance

It makes sense that Regent is trying to save money.

Some cost-cutting measures may appear to make short-term business sense to the Regent bean-counters, but they need to be very careful that they do not drive customers away in the medium term.

Some guests, including us, want the luxury experience to extend to the whole of our vacation not just during our time on board.

It is a very competitive market with perhaps some over-capacity in certain cruising areas (Mediterranean? Alaska? Caribbean?) so Regent should be looking to up-their-game in all aspects of their offering.

We have had this experience with Regent and when we have been offered indirect flights our agent obtains a direct flight with us paying an additional amount. Indeed on our trip in April we paid an additional £99pp for the outbound flight. I'm sure if you check the relevant flights available Regent will be helpful.

It was a wonderful cruise and worth it although we were not happy at the time.

We have another cruised booked in February with direct flights.

We also live in the Midlands and drive 3 hours to Heathrow for a direct flight.

It is a very competitive market with perhaps some over-capacity in certain cruising areas (Mediterranean? Alaska? Caribbean?) so Regent should be looking to up-their-game in all aspects of their offering.

Not sure what you mean by "over-capacity in certain cruising areas.........." since both Alaska and the Mediterranean are selling poorly.

It does sound as if Regent may want to remove the BA logo or name in their advertisements in the U.K. In terms of upping their game, at least for those of us in North America, they have upped their game by contracting with top airlines (thinking Qatar, Emirates, Cathay Pacific). Our airline choices are better than they have ever been.

The U.S. and Canada are unique in terms of almost everywhere being international for us while people in the U.K. and other parts of Europe can visit neighboring countries the way we visit neighboring states/provinces. I would guess that most Regent flights from the U.K. to the U.S. go to Miami with a few going to Vancouver, Los Angeles, New York, etc. So, flights to Miami would have the greatest demand. IMO, putting a passenger on Lufthansa with one stop is not exactly putting a passenger on a low class airline. OTOH, I'm sure that everyone would be happy if the airlines returned to offering more non-stop flights. It sounds as if the U.K. is having to get used to less non-stop flights -- something that is a difficult pill to swallow but we eventually accepted it.

In terms of a "competitive market", Business Class air is not "included" on the other major luxury cruise lines (that I am aware of), so, they are already ahead of their competition. As I always suggest, it may be a good idea for people unhappy with Regent's air to look at Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal (Regent's direct competition). The last I heard, neither Seabourn or Silversea include air but Crystal is building two long-range airliners - a Boeing 777-200LR and a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. Crystal's airlines are bound to be better than anything currently being offered by anyone.

There is something for everyone out there and while I wish that the off board experience were as good as onboard, unless Regent buys hotels and aircraft, I don't see it happening.

Included business class flights in the U.K are only included in Penthouse Suites and above for flights to Europe and Northern Europe.

Any other flight routes we pay for any upgrades to business class. Admittedly the cost to upgrade with Regent is less than the cost to buy the ticket independently, but this adds considerable cost to an already expensive cruise fare. Jean.

Included business class flights in the U.K are only included in Penthouse Suites and above for flights to Europe and Northern Europe.

Any other flight routes we pay for any upgrades to business class. Admittedly the cost to upgrade with Regent is less than the cost to buy the ticket independently, but this adds considerable cost to an already expensive cruise fare. Jean.

Thank you for that information. So, the U.K. is almost the opposite of North America (at least the way it was when PH suites and above had included Business Class air outside of the U.S.). We have flown BA Business Class within Europe and were not impressed (just about as bad as First Class within the U.S. -- better than coach but barely). So, you have to pay for an upgrade when you fly to the U.S. - even in a PH suite. About how much money does an upgrade typically cost?

I'm asking because the flights to some parts of the world are horribly expensive. Australia and Asia come to mind. We booked our own air to Asia next year (to Bali - returning from Hong Kong). We paid $8,700 (Cathay Pacific) but Regent had a $12,000 air credit so we ended up ahead. It does pay to check out fares - especially before Regent begins booking them for their passengers.

It's not as easy as you may think when trying to fly to a country that's close as the crow flies.

We will be flying from Glasgow to Stockholm next month and you would think it would be a simple short flight but there are no direct flights.

We were given 2 choices from our TA.

Glasgow -London - Stockholm with BA or

Glasgow - Amsterdam - Stockholm with KLM

It's not as simple as it should be.

Pam.

It's not as easy as you may think when trying to fly to a country that's close as the crow flies.

We will be flying from Glasgow to Stockholm next month and you would think it would be a simple short flight but there are no direct flights.

We were given 2 choices from our TA.

Glasgow -London - Stockholm with BA or

Glasgow - Amsterdam - Stockholm with KLM

It's not as simple as it should be.

Pam.

No different than flying from Seattle to Miami in the U.S. We either have to stop in Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. There are few non-stop fights within the U.S. Non-stop flights began disappearing several years ago. Our hope is to have reasonable layovers - ones where we can relax in the lounge, do a little shopping and hop on to the next flight.

Not sure what you mean by "over-capacity in certain cruising areas.........." since both Alaska and the Mediterranean are selling poorly.

It does sound as if Regent may want to remove the BA logo or name in their advertisements in the U.K. In terms of upping their game, at least for those of us in North America, they have upped their game by contracting with top airlines (thinking Qatar, Emirates, Cathay Pacific). Our airline choices are better than they have ever been.

The U.S. and Canada are unique in terms of almost everywhere being international for us while people in the U.K. and other parts of Europe can visit neighboring countries the way we visit neighboring states/provinces. I would guess that most Regent flights from the U.K. to the U.S. go to Miami with a few going to Vancouver, Los Angeles, New York, etc. So, flights to Miami would have the greatest demand. IMO, putting a passenger on Lufthansa with one stop is not exactly putting a passenger on a low class airline. OTOH, I'm sure that everyone would be happy if the airlines returned to offering more non-stop flights. It sounds as if the U.K. is having to get used to less non-stop flights -- something that is a difficult pill to swallow but we eventually accepted it.

In terms of a "competitive market", Business Class air is not "included" on the other major luxury cruise lines (that I am aware of), so, they are already ahead of their competition. As I always suggest, it may be a good idea for people unhappy with Regent's air to look at Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal (Regent's direct competition). The last I heard, neither Seabourn or Silversea include air but Crystal is building two long-range airliners - a Boeing 777-200LR and a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. Crystal's airlines are bound to be better than anything currently being offered by anyone.

There is something for everyone out there and while I wish that the off board experience were as good as onboard, unless Regent buys hotels and aircraft, I don't see it happening.

Thanks for your reply Travelcat 2. However, please note that Regent do not include Business Class flights to and from the USA as standard for UK customers - even if they book a PH or higher.

In relation to UK customers having to get use to less non-stop flights - well not this one. There is a lot of choice out there and some great offers, especially if you are happy to do a late booking. While I like Regent, there are a lot of cruise lines out trying to get me to spend my money with them. So if Regent want to treat their UK poorly, lets hope they can fill their ships with customers from other countries.

In relation to not offering "air", that's not a problem. The issue is taking my money and then providing poor flights. We must remember that the "air" is not "free", but included in the price.

Thank you for that information. So, the U.K. is almost the opposite of North America (at least the way it was when PH suites and above had included Business Class air outside of the U.S.). We have flown BA Business Class within Europe and were not impressed (just about as bad as First Class within the U.S. -- better than coach but barely). So, you have to pay for an upgrade when you fly to the U.S. - even in a PH suite. About how much money does an upgrade typically cost?

I'm asking because the flights to some parts of the world are horribly expensive. Australia and Asia come to mind. We booked our own air to Asia next year (to Bali - returning from Hong Kong). We paid $8,700 (Cathay Pacific) but Regent had a $12,000 air credit so we ended up ahead. It does pay to check out fares - especially before Regent begins booking them for their passengers.

BA has recently changed the lay out for all business class seating arrangement for business class passenger tickets. This includes internal flights within U.K. And to Europe, i.e. All short haul business class. Seating is the same but a dedicated cabin area with window and isle seat only, upgraded food and beverages.

All the transatlantic flights we have taken with Regent have come at a cost for business and twice for first.

Yes it was a considerable cost on top of an expensive cruise but had we paid the tickets ourselves it would have been well outwith our budget. Jean.

No different than flying from Seattle to Miami in the U.S. We either have to stop in Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. There are few non-stop fights within the U.S. Non-stop flights began disappearing several years ago. Our hope is to have reasonable layovers - ones where we can relax in the lounge, do a little shopping and hop on to the next flight.

Surely you wouldn't want to spend any more time than what was needed for your cruise to begin?

I don't think i would be thinking of shopping on the way out but maybe on the way back.

You would think it would make sense for the flights (economical reasoning) to take passengers to their destination without having to deviate but then what do i know?

I'm just glad when i get on board and start relaxing.

Pam.

Surely you wouldn't want to spend any more time than what was needed for your cruise to begin?

I don't think i would be thinking of shopping on the way out but maybe on the way back.

You would think it would make sense for the flights (economical reasoning) to take passengers to their destination without having to deviate but then what do i know?

I'm just glad when i get on board and start relaxing.

Pam.

100% with you there Pam, but as you say, "what do we know" - we are only the customers.

Thanks for your reply Travelcat 2. However, please note that Regent do not include Business Class flights to and from the USA as standard for UK customers - even if they book a PH or higher.

In relation to UK customers having to get use to less non-stop flights - well not this one. There is a lot of choice out there and some great offers, especially if you are happy to do a late booking. While I like Regent, there are a lot of cruise lines out trying to get me to spend my money with them. So if Regent want to treat their UK poorly, lets hope they can fill their ships with customers from other countries.

In relation to not offering "air", that's not a problem. The issue is taking my money and then providing poor flights. We must remember that the "air" is not "free", but included in the price.

Unfortunately, what you call "poor flights", many of us in the U.S. consider normal. In fact, many people are put on flights (international - not domestic) with 10 hour layovers. This has been the case for many years (and some of the longest layovers have been on BA. - especially returning from Cape Town). Our self-booked flight home from Miami in December (about a 6 hour flight if it were non-stop) has a 4 hour layover in Houston. Do we wish it were better? Of course, however, even booking it ourselves didn't get us a non-stop flight as they do not exist from either major airports near where we live (Seattle and Vancouver).

lipstastic, again, thank you for responding to my question. The intra-European flights that we have done on BA had their own Business Class section but had three seats across with the middle seat blocked off - supposedly to give us more room. They did provide good food and drinks. Does Regent give U.K. passengers a pre-cruise night at a hotel (Concierge and above passengers)?