Live from MSC Meraviglia Sailing from Barcelona 7/7/17 with lots of photos!

kikki21

I'm going to give msc a wee ring to see if they have heard about the mdr, if they go back to early late sitting are they going back to there before menus, I booked msc after having reviewed previous menus which looked good, I really done like what I've seen up to now menus are terrible and for me the dining on a cruise is a big part of your evening, I'm new to cruising only been on ncl and rcc, wanted to see the difference in a European company, up to now not looking good, even the other msc ships, there top deck sun area have cabanas and padded loungers you'd think this being there new class they would have these, I'm going on 8th September, hope things change by then

Hi, please let us know how you get on, we are going on the 22nd July and also worried about the main dining room. Thanks Andy

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure how many complaints MSC have received about the dining room but I believe that they need to change things from head office or employ a new chef!

Choice is extremely limited & not what it was which several other MSC cruisers have confirmed.

For a new ship we have had things go wrong such as the air con in the Panorama restaurant & I have to say service in the cabin has been a bit sloppy.

For example a glass we bought in last night from the bar with a drink in it was long drunk last night is still in the room at 7.40pm tonight - this isn't my experience on other ships I've sailed on!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking at a copy of our bill so far, we seem to have been given 100 Euros shipboard credit which I assume is due to the assigned dining room air con issue. There is no explaination for the credit!

I hate to be a pest...but can someone onboard just ask what the fee is for non-Aurea guests? ...thanks a bunch.

There is no price list upon entering the Aurea sun deck - the pool attendant just checks you are Aurea.

This has gotten pretty funny...

Can anyone else take 5 seconds and ask the attendant what the fee is for non-Aurea guests?

Edited by computerworks

How many meals does this package include? Price is not bad, and with all the recent MDR food reviews......we may have to purchase this!!!! Can't believe the children have to pay the same amount though. Disappointing.:cool:

TRYPTIC - SPECIALITY DINING PACKAGE

3 distinct experiences: EATALY RISTORANTE ITALIANO, KAITO SUSHI BAR and BUTCHER S CUT STEAKHOUSE Eataly is a Worldwide Italian brand which sources high quality food from small producers, offering tasty, nutritious food from ethically aware suppliers. Kaito is offering exquisite sushi, sashimi and tempura created by expert sushi chefs, with much more to it at the row bar and teppanyaki table. B... More Details

Price per person:

Adults

$ 70.50

Children

$ 70.50

This has gotten pretty funny...

Can anyone else take 5 seconds and ask the attendant what the fee is for non-Aurea guests?

I believe someone answered this a few pages. €10. It's $10 on Davina, have another look at this thread to find exact post. It's just one sentence in a longer post.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I believe someone answered this a few pages. €10. It's $10 on Davina, have another look at this thread to find exact post. It's just one sentence in a longer post.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

All the attendant is bothered about is giving you the towels for the sun deck & that's it. Seriously & you get the idea that no one would probably actually know or even care much.

Case in example - we have had dinner moved to the buffet area the last 2 nights. We saw in the daily program that again we were meant to be in the buffet for dinner tonight, fair enough. We go to the buffet to be told the issue has been fixed but no one has told us this - communication is either poor or just hit & miss so please don't think we can't be bothered to ask. There isn't anyone to ask.

If it's not their job then you won't find out!

Dinner tonight for gala was at best mediocre.

This is the special main course created by a 2 star Michelin chef!

e15d5e625c42e4088186b81e0d0ba2a4.jpg

02f4e96efe96aad9043cc947a6384c1a.jpg

I literally don't have words.

Wonderful well photo documented review so far. Many thanks!...

I'm not a cruise expert by any means, 5 MSC cruises, 1 RCI (Allure in Europe) and a few smaller 1 to 3 days river cruises in several smaller European companies don't make a cruise expert, but with my little but somewhat consistent market analisys knowledge, I think I have something to add here for the discussion. Excuse me if I'll be extremely long... And excuse me my English mistakes once I'm not an English speaking native!...

There is a growing number of poster on those boards whom are alledging that contemporary or mainline cruise lines are downgrading their main food offerings in order to fill in the specialty restaurants... My heart as a cruser may agree... But my brain as a "market analyst" is pushing me in another direction... When the cruise industry decided to go mass market, they obviously decided they would go to what everyone could afford at the moment... And that in the European Tourism industry means they would downgrade the experience for what a regular 4 star hotel is regularly offering... Far different from the "good ole days" 5 star plus regular cruising offering!... But things don't finish here... With only 4 groups able to build huge megaships at the moment there is no sufficient competition stimulus to do any better than "entry level" service quality for the 4 star cruise product. Of course the service was downgraded from what it used to be... But because of the Operational Risks they may have if things go extremely wrong, they won't in any case downgrade the service levels below that "entry level" standard!...

Nowadays I wouldn't rate any of the contemporary cruise lines any better than an "entry level" 4 star hotel chain in Europe. For the ones used to European hotels I would say MSC would be similar to a regular Novotel in town with a few distinctives proper of the cruise industry. RCI might be a little bit better... But nothing more than a regular Best Western in Europe. None of them hit an average Marriot in Europe and even less a nice Sheraton or IMHO one of the best ones Movenpick (part of the Dubai Jumeirah empire...).

Want at least part of the 5th star back? Surely! Give us your credit card number and all is OK!... That means... Pay for it obviously!... Or open your pocket pre cruise and splurge yourself on the luxurious suite program!...

Hope to have helped explaining a little bit the state of the art of the current contemporary cruise industry. Hope that in the next 20 years or so, when China would become ready to build huge megaships we will see all those Asians and Middle Easterns building their own megaships with some western flavour for us to go!... I'm just imagining what an Emirates Cruise Line, or Movenpick or even Qatar Cruises could be!... Entry level standards will grow enormously!!!...

...Now returning to the Meraviglia... It seems that this ship is not ready to the prime time. The well documented cruise described in this thread is far from what my MSC experiences have been, even the most recent one last February... They need to work hard really... And by the way... While it is notorious that they are trying their best, it is also obvious that at least for now they aren't prepared for the prime time on the English speaking passengers world... Hope that improves with the time... I prefer not to go in more detail here... But this indeed so long analysis on those lines might have given you an Idea from someone whom is a continental southern European guy...

Have a good return home and a lovely weekend!

The Sky Lounge is somewhere that is a lovely chill out area with premium cocktails but they will make coffee etc & regular all inclusive cocktails. It is also sound proofed!

It's very Gatsby inspired & adults only.

If you want a secret place to go then this is recommended!

1dac02f10979a47a7c2e237701ec693b.jpg

Current position - we are visiting our favourite places on board as we have packed our cases & put them outside the room for the off & the 3rd leg of our break, some more time in Barcelona before we fly home.

I will summarise our Meraviglia experience too as in what IMO are the pro's & con's and what works & what doesn't.

I'm a lowly Bella; I've been told that we aren't even guaranteed a table in the dining room ( but given your comments and pics of the food) this may be a blessing in disguise lol!!

I assume Bellas aren't allowed in the Spa area....do we have to pay?

I've got the drinks package so at lease I can drown my sorrows!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonderful well photo documented review so far. Many thanks!...

I'm not a cruise expert by any means, 5 MSC cruises, 1 RCI (Allure in Europe) and a few smaller 1 to 3 days river cruises in several smaller European companies don't make a cruise expert, but with my little but somewhat consistent market analisys knowledge, I think I have something to add here for the discussion. Excuse me if I'll be extremely long... And excuse me my English mistakes once I'm not an English speaking native!...

There is a growing number of poster on those boards whom are alledging that contemporary or mainline cruise lines are downgrading their main food offerings in order to fill in the specialty restaurants... My heart as a cruser may agree... But my brain as a "market analyst" is pushing me in another direction... When the cruise industry decided to go mass market, they obviously decided they would go to what everyone could afford at the moment... And that in the European Tourism industry means they would downgrade the experience for what a regular 4 star hotel is regularly offering... Far different from the "good ole days" 5 star plus regular cruising offering!... But things don't finish here... With only 4 groups able to build huge megaships at the moment there is no sufficient competition stimulus to do any better than "entry level" service quality for the 4 star cruise product. Of course the service was downgraded from what it used to be... But because of the Operational Risks they may have if things go extremely wrong, they won't in any case downgrade the service levels below that "entry level" standard!...

Nowadays I wouldn't rate any of the contemporary cruise lines any better than an "entry level" 4 star hotel chain in Europe. For the ones used to European hotels I would say MSC would be similar to a regular Novotel in town with a few distinctives proper of the cruise industry. RCI might be a little bit better... But nothing more than a regular Best Western in Europe. None of them hit an average Marriot in Europe and even less a nice Sheraton or IMHO one of the best ones Movenpick (part of the Dubai Jumeirah empire...).

Want at least part of the 5th star back? Surely! Give us your credit card number and all is OK!... That means... Pay for it obviously!... Or open your pocket pre cruise and splurge yourself on the luxurious suite program!...

Hope to have helped explaining a little bit the state of the art of the current contemporary cruise industry. Hope that in the next 20 years or so, when China would become ready to build huge megaships we will see all those Asians and Middle Easterns building their own megaships with some western flavour for us to go!... I'm just imagining what an Emirates Cruise Line, or Movenpick or even Qatar Cruises could be!... Entry level standards will grow enormously!!!...

...Now returning to the Meraviglia... It seems that this ship is not ready to the prime time. The well documented cruise described in this thread is far from what my MSC experiences have been, even the most recent one last February... They need to work hard really... And by the way... While it is notorious that they are trying their best, it is also obvious that at least for now they aren't prepared for the prime time on the English speaking passengers world... Hope that improves with the time... I prefer not to go in more detail here... But this indeed so long analysis on those lines might have given you an Idea from someone whom is a continental southern European guy...

Have a good return home and a lovely weekend!

You know the Europa & Europa II are the highest rated ships in the world, along with many of the Premium and Luxury lines. I believe they would match or surpass the best European hotel standards!

I'm a lowly Bella; I've been told that we aren't even guaranteed a table in the dining room ( but given your comments and pics of the food) this may be a blessing in disguise lol!!

I assume Bellas aren't allowed in the Spa area....do we have to pay?

I've got the drinks package so at lease I can drown my sorrows!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good morning from an overcast Barcelona!

Yes you can pay for a Spa pass per couple for the week & I would say it's well worth it as this is part of the ship which is done well & really lovely & the classic all included drinks package is also a good thing!

So we are out of our room & now facing the prospect of breakfast in the buffet. MSC ask you to be out of your room for 7.30am which was just about the time we docked this morning.

066bd7ee158f02b9b57e63f5ca3dcd2c.jpg

Oriana coming into port.

0a68fb2d8fb42efe5e2866dd1b580899.jpg

The Royal Clipper & Tui Discovery in the distance approaching port.

a2e27dd715d241e6271f9cf5bbe418a1.jpg

Aida Perla & the last cruise ship I sailed on ( get me back on!) Celebrity Reflection already in port!

A very busy port day!

We never tasted any of the speciality stuff on board the ship! Never actually had one gelato free or not! Never mind!

I think we have both put on weight due to alcohol consumption rather than food consumption!

Hi Kikki, what was that Michelin Chef meal meant to be from the Elegance night. I can't even make out what it is?? Lucky we are not fussy eaters!!! Did you happen to check out what foods on offer at the Sports Bar. Enjoy the rest of Barcelona.

232023176f18df040272043e9c665497.jpg

This is what is left of my Surfer internet package this morning. I used this to post most of my CC posts but also used 3G while in ports too

46971d357e3751a4f6d737d8da7c9768.jpg

Today's weather forecast in Barcelona does not look promising.

If you want to buy any pictures try to get them on 1 cruise card, we had them on 2 cards, the photo staff tried to bring them together but it didn't work for some reason. So we're off to sort that out after breakfast & then we'll get off the ship. We're not in any great hurry as we'll be taking a taxi downturn for our next hotel stay [emoji4]

Hi Kikki, what was that Michelin Chef meal meant to be from the Elegance night. I can't even make out what it is?? Lucky we are not fussy eaters!!! Did you happen to check out what foods on offer at the Sports Bar. Enjoy the rest of Barcelona.

Hi Yogoshady that was a blade of beef with celeriac purée & pomegranate & that's exactly what we got.

I'm not even sure that many people ordered it as it was on the other side of the menu!

It tasted nice to be fair but if that is the top dish then IMO it's not good enough!

I know a lot of people cruise for food but a lot of the dishes in the MDR were just not appetising to look at as they seriously looked like the food had been lobbed on & was often served warm.

Service last night took ages & we waited ages for bread & drinks & weren't even asked for top up's for drink.

I just got the impression that the staff weren't that bothered sadly.