Carnival-MDR bottle of water at table

lasekeye

We are taking our first cruise on the Liberty this September. I have been reading so much and one of the posts there was a comment of a "new" practice of a bottle of water being brought to your table right away when being seated.

is this considered free, or will we need to pay for this? I'm not "cheap" as I will prob drink water with my meal, but I want to know in advance if I'm being charged....and if it's not empty can I / do I take it with me when we are ready to leave?

They are doing this to save the waiters some work. You pour your own water. Want more? Pour some more. No need to get a waiter to do it for you.

Perhaps you perceive it that way, but have you sailed Carnival on a ship with the American Table? I would bet not. As soon as you are seated, the assistant it there to pour your water. And comes back to top you off when they see you need it. But the carafes are there in case you are a heavy drinker and need a refill when they are not looking... EM

Perhaps you perceive it that way, but have you sailed Carnival on a ship with the American Table? I would bet not. As soon as you are seated, the assistant it there to pour your water. And comes back to top you off when they see you need it. But the carafes are there in case you are a heavy drinker and need a refill when they are not looking... EM

On our sole experience with American Table we refilled our own glasses except on Elegant night when the wait staff did it for us.

You would reach more folks with direct experience if you also post on the dedicated Carnival forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

If all we are to do is to chase "First Time Cruisers" to the forum for their cruise line why should Cruise Critic have a "First Time Cruisers" forum? Would you post the same answer to some that asked for info about Royal or would you just answer the question? Just wondering, because I see a lot of these types of posts and they seem counter to the intent of this forum (which is to allow first timers to get their feet wet posting in a kiddie pool before heading off into the turbulent waters of a cruise line forum).

If all we are to do is to chase "First Time Cruisers" to the forum for their cruise line why should Cruise Critic have a "First Time Cruisers" forum? Would you post the same answer to some that asked for info about Royal or would you just answer the question? Just wondering, because I see a lot of these types of posts and they seem counter to the intent of this forum (which is to allow first timers to get their feet wet posting in a kiddie pool before heading off into the turbulent waters of a cruise line forum).

Good point . I also wonder why so many people answer a very general posted question with "What ship are you on?" or "When are you cruising?" --- when the ship, date, or itinerary has zero relevance to the question.

I think Cruise Critic can be very intimidating to new members, and thus the Ask A Cruise Question and First Time Cruisers forums. After all, a new member may think that those Cruise Lines A-O are just links to the Cruise Line websites. My feeling is that we have a responsibility to help new members to explore the forums and learn how to use them most efficiently. There is so much information here, and simply answering their questions without pointing them to other sources is not doing them a favor. EM

"A couple of MDR things not service related: There is now a bottle of water placed at the table at the beginning of the meal. One less thing for the servers to worry about, plus I like pouring myself, that way I don't have to wait to get someone's attention."..."CC member zdcatc12"

This is the post that I was referring to....posted June 28

Anyone else just off Carnival Legend notice the carafe of ice water at the MDR now switched to a bottle of water?

And for those of you that want to add a ..."comment", ....yes I will also post this on the Carnival page.

"A couple of MDR things not service related: There is now a bottle of water placed at the table at the beginning of the meal. One less thing for the servers to worry about, plus I like pouring myself, that way I don't have to wait to get someone's attention."..."CC member zdcatc12"

This is the post that I was referring to....posted June 28

Anyone else just off Carnival Legend notice the carafe of ice water at the MDR now switched to a bottle of water?

And for those of you that want to add a ..."comment", ....yes I will also post this on the Carnival page.

A carafe is nothing more than a fancy bottle, is it not?:D I highly doubt that CCL would be using bottled water in the MDR since it is an additional expense.

It's free. It's just tap water with ice. Personally, I like that they leave it on the tables now because I drink a lot of water. It's nice being able to refill my water myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you everyone for your replies. On another post, which I cannot find again, the water at the table was referred to as a "bottle". Thank you again for your help.

The wait team may present an actual , large bottle of water and ask if you would prefer that. That large bottle of water is not free.

They will bring open, glass carafes of ice water, pour into glasses and place the carafe on the table, This is free. I find the wait team keeps my water glass full.