Trays

I'm the one who puts the room service tray out of site from the room stu.........I would NEVER take it home and if the poster meant me, I do not know how my post was misinterpreted.:eek:

HUH?? You misinterpreted my response. I was laughing (hence the emoji used) because hiding the Room Service tray for the duration of one's cruise prevents it from being accidentally picked up by staff...and that's a good thing :) I apologize for not being clear.

I remember a few years ago when Carnival and other lines started phasing out trays and the ensuing hand-wringing that occurred here. If memory serves, the main reasons given at the time were to reduce food waste and cut the cost of having to clean all those trays as well as the added water consumption.

Too many people having accidents with them causing safety issues and china and glassware costs to spiral were two reasons given at the time trays were dropped, pun intended.

Ah-Ha!! I was thinking it was just 'one less dish/tray too wash' thingee ! I ALSO miss the trays, sometimes when the wife wanted 'breakfast brought to her' in bed I could fix two plates, sometimes just pastries , order 2 pots of coffee (room service) and we could dine in room or try the balcony IF there was a small stool outside. But I also found it easier to carry plates AND coffee cup in one trip. Just musings about ten years ago when we took out first cruise.

Mac

Sooooo there is a feisty debate going on John Heald's FB page on the need for Carnival to return the use of trays at the buffet...especially for guests with physical limitations and health concerns. What are your thoughts?

I do miss the trays. We have to take turns getting food then getting drinks. My bathing suit cover-up doesn't have pockets so I have to hold my silverware under my arm.

What I miss more are smaller plates. Ever since Carnival brought in the huge plates, the amount of wasted food I've seen left on tables is disgusting. I take half a spoonful of whatever looks good to eat. I then go back for more of what was delicious. I hate seeing people pile food, filling up the big plates, and leaving so much untouched.

Trays made it a lot easier. There are trays at some of the stations located around the Lido area, mostly used to bus tables but some are clean. I suppose you can ask for one.

I put my silverware in my pocket or purse. I too get just a tasting of things to see if I like it then go back for more (using a new plate of course).

I'm sure like the tablecloths cleaning all those trays was a huge undertaking and cost. No time soon will we see trays again.

I prefer having the trays on Lido. I don't like having to make multiple trips to get salad bar, entrees, drinks, desserts, etc. I especially feel sorry for parents trying to feed their kids. That means lots more trips for them without trays.

What would be ideal would be a "tray plate". I actually have one that I bought a thousand years ago but it is a large square plate that looks like a school cafeteria tray from long ago.

It has different sections built into it like a large square for a main entree and several smaller divided sections for sides and then a round circle section in the corner for a cup to fit and along one side is a long thin divider section for silverware. If they could use plates like this it would solve all the problems.

The tray I have with all the sections isn't much larger than the plates they are using now only think of the current plate squared out and maybe a pinch larger.

This would make it where you did not have to make 2 trips. We always have to make 2 trips. One for the food, then we go look for a place to sit, then one of us will go back for drinks.

Not a tragedy by any stretch without them but a "tray plate" would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lido Tray discussions are like the Tablecloth discussions are like the pillow chocolate discussions are like the Gold not going to the party with the free drinks and horses-do-overs. Things have changed, that does not mean that the sky is falling and the world is going to hell. Carnival has made some business decisions that they have every right to do. Just because some people do not like them does not make them wrong. It makes them facts. Get used to them or keep complaining and not getting the action that you want. Setting yourself up for more frustration because they are not going to change back. Why would you let such insignificant things impact you to the point where your get frustrated? Why spend you time tilting at windmills rather than enjoying your vacations. If you don't like the changes, find another cruise line that will surely disappoint you in the future, or has already disappointed its customers before you were ever their customer. Their previously disappointed customers are probably sailing Carnival right now.

I do miss the trays. We have to take turns getting food then getting drinks. My bathing suit cover-up doesn't have pockets so I have to hold my silverware under my arm.

Having to carry silverware is inconvenient sometimes. The other cruiseline we sail on most frequently has caddys on the tables for condiments and the silverware, which is wrapped in a napkin. Carnival could consider doing that.

I think it's a matter of guests taking more food than what they will eat creating more waste. I plan on ordering room service the first night and keeping the tray for the week. This will give me the opportunity to get a few things for the wife and I in the morning to enjoy on our first balcony while she is getting ready.

I love this idea! And that is why I would like a tray too - I am a early riser and would love to bring some bacon and eggs for my husband when he wakes up.

Lido Tray discussions are like the Tablecloth discussions are like the pillow chocolate discussions are like the Gold not going to the party with the free drinks and horses-do-overs. Things have changed, that does not mean that the sky is falling and the world is going to hell. Carnival has made some business decisions that they have every right to do. Just because some people do not like them does not make them wrong. It makes them facts. Get used to them or keep complaining and not getting the action that you want. Setting yourself up for more frustration because they are not going to change back. Why would you let such insignificant things impact you to the point where your get frustrated? Why spend you time tilting at windmills rather than enjoying your vacations. If you don't like the changes, find another cruise line that will surely disappoint you in the future, or has already disappointed its customers before you were ever their customer. Their previously disappointed customers are probably sailing Carnival right now.

I don't think anyone here posting is frustrated as you say, just offering an opinion and a solution and sharing said solution.

Just wondering what room service will do when everyone keeps their trays for the week.:o I avoid the buffet as much as possible, so this isn't an issue for me. I can understand why some people want the trays. I like breakfast in the MDR. Lunch is about the only time I use the buffet. I like the idea of the plates with the sections and the place for the drink.

Candi

If I remember correctly, Carnival used the excuse that they thought having trays gave the impression that the buffet was more of a cafeteria and they wanted to do away with that image. Bottom line...less things to wash, less food wasted.
Image is just as important to a business. It helps build the brand. Companies everywhere work very hard, and spend a lot of money, to portray a certain image. I don't blame Carnival if, in fact, they felt that way about the trays. Many people equate cafeterias with less than stellar food.

HUH?? You misinterpreted my response. I was laughing (hence the emoji used) because hiding the Room Service tray for the duration of one's cruise prevents it from being accidentally picked up by staff...and that's a good thing :) I apologize for not being clear.
No, the person you quoted wasn't responding to you. They were referring to someone else who accused them of stealing the trays they were using from room service.

What I miss more are smaller plates. Ever since Carnival brought in the huge plates, the amount of wasted food I've seen left on tables is disgusting. I take half a spoonful of whatever looks good to eat. I then go back for more of what was delicious. I hate seeing people pile food, filling up the big plates, and leaving so much untouched.

I put silverware in the palm of my hand, then hold the plate in that hand. So essentially my silverware is held in place by the weight of the plate and my other hand is free to dish the food or carry a drink.

One of the arguments against the trays was that it encouraged food waste because people could carry more than they actually ate. If bigger plates do the same, well then, I guess they can't win them all.

If you'll notice, no one here is saying they quit, or will quit, sailing Carnival because of Lido buffet trays. It's just an innocent discussion at this point. This particular conversation is extraordinarily tame compared to all of the complaints on this forum about tablecloths, pillow chocolates, and certain clothing in the MDR.

I think having the trays available does make it a bit easier to cart your food from buffet to table with minimal trips. Especially when you have plates for the littlest ones in your party

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I agree, having children and helping them get their food while still trying to get yourself is very hard without trays

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess also no longer has trays. They do use the same platters that Carnival uses.

I'll use the platter as a tray, getting the salad and drink first. If getting for two, I'll stack the two plates, loading the top one with double the food.

Kids can help, they can carry salads and utensils.

If I remember correctly, Carnival used the excuse that they thought having trays gave the impression that the buffet was more of a cafeteria and they wanted to do away with that image. Bottom line...less things to wash, less food wasted.

What she said - I am sure it was a business decision based on cost/value analysis, and the imaging of their brand.

When I go to a buffet I always hold my plate in one hand, with the silverware/napkin cupped behind it, and use my free hand to serve myself from the buffet, I get my drink last, using my free hand to carry it once I am done getting my food.

I do imagine that for some folks with special needs the trays might make it easier to carry their food, but hopefully there is enough staff around to assist with whatever might be needed. And as someone that has been to many buffets with three kids in tow, doing the whole "kid plate thing" is pretty difficult whether there are trays or not. Once my kids were age 4-5 and over I would give them each a plate to hold securely in both hands, have them walk the buffet line with me so I could fill their plates, and then have them carefully walk over to the table. I would then get back in line and get just my own food while my husband took care of everyone's drinks and helping the kids cut their meat, etc. Kids can carry things if you supervise them and don't overload the plates.

Since carrying things are a real challenge for me, we bring a tray from home to use. It takes up very little space in our suitcase and makes things a whole lot easier.

i do the same, you can sometimes find trays at the 99 cent or up stores

I love this idea! And that is why I would like a tray too - I am a early riser and would love to bring some bacon and eggs for my husband when he wakes up.

Why can't you fit bacon and eggs on a plate, they're huge plates. Leave the trays at Golden Corral and high school. Seriously folks how far is it from your seat to the buffet? Make a couple of trips, maybe saving some food costs with the 1000's of pounds they throw out will lower some costs.

Love the "most high end restaurants", do you mean NO high end restaurants use trays

LOL, most high end restaurants don't have buffets:D;)

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't mind that they don't have trays. As others have said the plates are big enough. I get the biggest laugh from people who bring their own trays.

Why can't you fit bacon and eggs on a plate, they're huge plates. Leave the trays at Golden Corral and high school. Seriously folks how far is it from your seat to the buffet? Make a couple of trips, maybe saving some food costs with the 1000's of pounds they throw out will lower some costs.

Love the "most high end restaurants", do you mean NO high end restaurants use trays

But you are not understanding.........many of us just want a tray to take BACK to our BALCONY. Making several trips is crazy. Try carrying a double meal with two coffees or drinks....it's impossible.