Trays

Sooooo there is a feisty debate going on John Heald's FB page on the need for Carnival to return the use of trays at the buffet...especially for guests with physical limitations and health concerns. What are your thoughts?

I think having the trays available does make it a bit easier to cart your food from buffet to table with minimal trips. Especially when you have plates for the littlest ones in your party

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

As one that is mobility impaired, I would very much like to see trays in the buffet. It makes it much easier to set in my lap and carry back to my table. With that said, there is never a shortage of crew ready and willing to help me if I need it.

Too many people having accidents with them causing safety issues and china and glassware costs to spiral were two reasons given at the time trays were dropped, pun intended.

I think more accidents occur while trying to balance plates, cups, etc,

I think it's a matter of guests taking more food than what they will eat creating more waste. I plan on ordering room service the first night and keeping the tray for the week. This will give me the opportunity to get a few things for the wife and I in the morning to enjoy on our first balcony while she is getting ready.

I think that is a great idea to "borrow" a room service tray to use during the cruise as long as you leave it at the end.

I bring one from home but it would be one less thing to pack so I will def try that next cruise. It's such a pain to try and juggle plate, silverware, drinks. Especially if you get something needing a bowl in addition to plate items.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't mind them offering trays; certainly understand how that helps those mobility impaired and with kids. But for us there's really no need for trays. Keeps the lines moving faster if you just have a plate in your hand and can serve yourself with the other. And trays just add a 'school cafeteria' feel to the buffet. Also making multiple trips also helps you to avoid loading up on too much food.

You know how I solve this problem? Eat in the MDR! Lol.

Seriously, I like the idea of keeping the room service tray (might want to bring some cleaning wipes for spills etc). But we really just don't eat on the lido to a degree that this impacts us. Easy enough to take the plate from Guys or BI and grab a drink and dine...

But the flip side to the trays - they were often wet and had to be sanitized like everything else. They also interrupted what was already challenging traffic flow at times. I understand why certain people need them due to age, disability etc, but on the whole I think most adults can function well without them and in a cost benefit analysis I understand why they took them away.

Yes, like everything else, trays need to be washed between uses. For people who bring their own or keep a room service tray, that part is on them. I'm not sure about room service trays, isn't everything on them on a plate or "table cloth" aka napkin?

Yes, like everything else, trays need to be washed between uses. For people who bring their own or keep a room service tray, that part is on them. I'm not sure about room service trays, isn't everything on them on a plate or "table cloth" aka napkin?

Of course we wash it. And we use plates, we do not put our food directly on the tray. Add coffee or a beverage and we take it back to our balcony. Don't see a problem.

I also thought the large white "plates" were supposed to be used as a tray to hold everything. I can't imagine eating everything that could fit on one of those.... And I'm a fat girl! Lol. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to either bring my own try or use the one from room service, BUT if I had an event to attend immediately after dining, I would not want to rush back to my cabin to put my tray away or carry the tray awkwardly to the event. Someone should hurry to invent a tray large and sturdy enough for a couple of plates and cup but foldable to store in a medium tote bag . . .

If I remember correctly, Carnival used the excuse that they thought having trays gave the impression that the buffet was more of a cafeteria and they wanted to do away with that image. Bottom line...less things to wash, less food wasted.

If I remember correctly, Carnival used the excuse that they thought having trays gave the impression that the buffet was more of a cafeteria and they wanted to do away with that image. Bottom line...less things to wash, less food wasted.

Any business decision will likely have more than one reason for implementation and you just provided 3 good reasons for CCL's change to no trays, they only mentioned the first one.

I wouldn't mind them offering trays; certainly understand how that helps those mobility impaired and with kids. But for us there's really no need for trays. Keeps the lines moving faster if you just have a plate in your hand and can serve yourself with the other. And trays just add a 'school cafeteria' feel to the buffet. Also making multiple trips also helps you to avoid loading up on too much food.

My wife is mobility impaired. She could not walk with a tray, or without a tray any different. Actually, it is easier for her to manage a plate, than a large tray. We keep talking about mobility impaired, but the majority of Mobility impaired people are walking with a cane. Therefore, how will they use two hands to carry a tray, when a plate only needs one hand. Don't use mobility impaired as an argument for trays. Let's keep it real.....

The main reason for trays, is so that you only need to make one trip, instead of two. Kids can carry a plate. Unless you are traveling with a kid less than 3, they can carry stuff. If you have kids, most people will have 2 adults. (I know, not all, but most). So you make a few trips.

I eat food in a college cafeteria at least once a week. Go on several cruises a year. I never felt I need a tray, I just make more than one trip. But I guess, I'm one that sees the bigger picture of waste over being a little lazy.