Trays

I think for the vast majority of people, the giant plates at the buffet are sufficient. For those with mobility issues, special needs, or children, there are waitstaff who are available to assist. For those who want to take food back to the cabin or balcony, "saving" a room service tray sounds like a good plan. It sounds to me like this is not exactly a "deal breaker" type issue.

This summer I am sailing my 6th cruise with CCL, once again on the Breeze. I haven't even thought about or noticed the lack of trays. I do agree about a motivation against food waste. I know at buffets, a lot of time our eyes are far bigger than our stomachs, and with more space available, there is a psychological urge to fill it up. Just look around afterwards to see how much uneaten food is left behind.

I think the problem is with the disabled, elderly, and young children. Our last 3 cruises were with my parents, both in late 70's and my mom has MS so has some walking & stability issues. Normally, it is really hard to have to try and assist her while getting your own meal. (We usually only hit lido for breakfast and sometimes lunch.) If you have to assist her and then go get your own, by the time you make it back to the table everyone else is finished and you eat alone.

I will say that our last cruise, our dining room waiter worked in the Lido. Every time he saw us, he came right over and assisted my mom in the buffet line. It was amazing to have that help. However, there honestly would not be enough to staff to assist every one of those three listed above. Nothing else would get done around the Lido.

Personally, we purchased a cheap tray (less than $3) and take it with us to use. While I loved the personalized attention, it just isn't practical. Furnish trays for those with disabilities, young children and the elderly. Is it that hard? Keep some put back and hand them out when you see someone needing assistance. Sure would save those room service trays!

Why can't you fit bacon and eggs on a plate, they're huge plates. Leave the trays at Golden Corral and high school. Seriously folks how far is it from your seat to the buffet? Make a couple of trips, maybe saving some food costs with the 1000's of pounds they throw out will lower some costs.

Love the "most high end restaurants", do you mean NO high end restaurants use trays

In my experience my seat is quite often very far from the food area. Especially at busy times. Sometimes I'm walking around a bit waiting for a table to open up. If you need a bowl for soup or something then what? Cut in line and get yelled at or wait in line again for 30 minutes to get that other item you didn't have a tray for?

I packed a small tray in our luggage for our Dream cruise, never used it once. The platters they use in the buffet are big enough for me. If I want to bring food from the buffet back to my room I just put the food on the plate and cover it with another one. And if I'm staying to eat at the buffet the platter is big enough for whatever food I want, I put my wrapped cutlery in my pocket, and grab a drink with my free hand. Sit down. Eat. If I have room THEN I go back for dessert. I can understand some people might need a tray so either just keep your room service tray to use for the rest of the cruise, or bring a tray from home.

In my experience my seat is quite often very far from the food area. Especially at busy times. Sometimes I'm walking around a bit waiting for a table to open up. If you need a bowl for soup or something then what? Cut in line and get yelled at or wait in line again for 30 minutes to get that other item you didn't have a tray for?

Oh please, 30 minutes, has anyone waited on a buffet line for 30 minutes? Funny, most buffet people say, I eat in the buffet so I can get in and out in less than a 1/2 hour. Without being rude it is easy to say can I please reach in and get a bowl of soup.

Oh please, 30 minutes, has anyone waited on a buffet line for 30 minutes? Funny, most buffet people say, I eat in the buffet so I can get in and out in less than a 1/2 hour. Without being rude it is easy to say can I please reach in and get a bowl of soup.

I waited that long in the buffet line multiple times on the Dream. If you go when they are first opening it happens, or at least it did a couple years ago. How about at the Wok? Waited an hour there. My point is that the trays would make it easier in some instances. If you haven't had to walk around looking for a seat I'd be surprised also. In any case you really don't need to be so condescending in your replies. It's okay to disagree with people and not be rude about it.

I waited that long in the buffet line multiple times on the Dream. If you go when they are first opening it happens, or at least it did a couple years ago. How about at the Wok? Waited an hour there. My point is that the trays would make it easier in some instances. If you haven't had to walk around looking for a seat I'd be surprised also. In any case you really don't need to be so condescending in your replies. It's okay to disagree with people and not be rude about it.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why can't you fit bacon and eggs on a plate, they're huge plates. Leave the trays at Golden Corral and high school. Seriously folks how far is it from your seat to the buffet? Make a couple of trips, maybe saving some food costs with the 1000's of pounds they throw out will lower some costs.

Love the "most high end restaurants", do you mean NO high end restaurants use trays

My husband brings back hot chocolate and orange juice for me and coffee for himself, in addition to my breakfast. There is no way he can carry 3 drinks and a plate so we bring a tray from home.

Room Service....problem solved (y)

No, not problem solved. The free options with room service don't even compare to those of the Lido buffet. I'm betting you realize that. ;)

In any case you really don't need to be so condescending in your replies. It's okay to disagree with people and not be rude about it.
Ditto. Well said. Coevan replies can be uncivil.

My opinion

Some people would rather just stir the pot.

No, not problem solved. The free options with room service don't even compare to those of the Lido buffet. I'm betting you realize that. ;)

Some people would rather just stir the pot.

But one could order beverages from room service timed to arrive around the time of the person coming from the buffet.

It has been 9 years since I have been on a cruise. If the plates are as big as people say - I am sure you are right, they will work just great. We'll see in 4 short days!