It actually happened! An AMAZING UPGRADE FAIRY JUST VISITED!

We sail on Allure on Sunday in a Grand Suite. I just got a call from RC. It was a 1-866 number, which I never typically answer, especially when I am at work and running to a meeting, but something/someone told me to answer it. Thank goodness I did! They offered me the opportunity to upgrade from a grand suite to a grand loft suite. At first I said no, not realizing it would put us in Star Class (we are pretty infrequent cruisers so am not well versed on what fits where). But then he told me it was Star Class and I quickly did the math. There are 4 of us sailing, and by the time I put in what we would pay for the beverage packages (already bought), the gratuities that Star Class includes as a perk, and a specialty restaurant, the cost to upgrade was only about $400 for all 4 of us in total! So for Star Class, that was a STEAL! So excited! I was going to try to keep it a surprise for my family until they opened up the door to the room, but I think the concierge might meet you at the pier, so that would blow the surprise.

I did ask him if I hadn't picked up the phone would he have left a message, and he said no. He said they continue to run down the list if someone doesn't answer, and if he left messages the room might be gone by the time the person called back, which would have resulted in a bad customer experience. Better to never know!

Can't believe it! We have sailed in a grand suite once before and loved it (2 years ago), so I was very happy with where we were, especially with the new suite perks, but am so excited for this room and to try out Star Class, which we will probably never do again!!

ljcofy

We sail on Allure on Sunday in a Grand Suite. I just got a call from RC. It was a 1-866 number, which I never typically answer, especially when I am at work and running to a meeting, but something/someone told me to answer it. Thank goodness I did! They offered me the opportunity to upgrade from a grand suite to a grand loft suite. At first I said no, not realizing it would put us in Star Class (we are pretty infrequent cruisers so am not well versed on what fits where). But then he told me it was Star Class and I quickly did the math. There are 4 of us sailing, and by the time I put in what we would pay for the beverage packages (already bought), the gratuities that Star Class includes as a perk, and a specialty restaurant, the cost to upgrade was only about $400 for all 4 of us in total! So for Star Class, that was a STEAL! So excited! I was going to try to keep it a surprise for my family until they opened up the door to the room, but I think the concierge might meet you at the pier, so that would blow the surprise.

I did ask him if I hadn't picked up the phone would he have left a message, and he said no. He said they continue to run down the list if someone doesn't answer, and if he left messages the room might be gone by the time the person called back, which would have resulted in a bad customer experience. Better to never know!

Can't believe it! We have sailed in a grand suite once before and loved it (2 years ago), so I was very happy with where we were, especially with the new suite perks, but am so excited for this room and to try out Star Class, which we will probably never do again!!

ljcofy

Just curious. Did you book directly through RCCL? Just wondering if one is more likely to get an upgrade offer if one books directly through Royal Caribbean as opposed to using a TA?

How very exciting. The Star Class experience is amazing. And what a great deal!!

You can still try to keep it as a surprise. If the Royal Genie has time to reach out to you, you can explain the situation and see if he/she has a suggestion on how to keep it a surprise as long as possible. But even if the family finds out right when you get to the port, it will still be a wonderful surprise.

Have a great vacation, and please report back on your experience.

The Royal Family Suite is still open for our cruise, there is about a 99.9999999% chance they will never call us about it but my little heart still holds out hope! Have a great trip in your lovely upgraded suite!

Very nice! Congratulations!!! Maybe you could still keep it a surprise by just going along with the check in process and if anyone asks, just say I guess they changed things since last time. As you say you don't cruise all that often, you may be able to keep them in the dark by just playing dumb!!

That is considered an upsale fairy, not a upgrade fairy. However, these upgrades can be found on your own. I was sailing on the Anthem last year. I had an interior room. I noticed that balcony rooms had dropped significantly to the point I reached out to my TA and asked if she could look at upgrading. She got me an upgrade from interior to balcony for $46.00 total for 2 people about a month prior to sailing.

You don't have to pray for them to call on this kind of deal. You maybe able to find it on your own and catch it before someone else gets "offered".