A couple of questions

canadadreamer

We are going on our first cruise in August so I just have a few questions.

First, how much do you typically tip a driver for a private tour of the island?

Second, a somewhat silly question, but we are flying out of FLL later the same day that we arrive in POM, and will be renting a car. Typically I print out our airlines boarding pass at the hotel prior to flying. I assume we won't be able to do that on the ship, and I would prefer to have it printed out before arriving at the airport. Any idea where we could go to print off to avoid the rush at the airport?

We are going on our first cruise in August so I just have a few questions.

First, how much do you typically tip a driver for a private tour of the island?

Second, a somewhat silly question, but we are flying out of FLL later the same day that we arrive in POM, and will be renting a car. Typically I print out our airlines boarding pass at the hotel prior to flying. I assume we won't be able to do that on the ship, and I would prefer to have it printed out before arriving at the airport. Any idea where we could go to print off to avoid the rush at the airport?

1: waaayyyy too variable. is it a highlight tour of an hour? or an all day thing with stops for photo ops? is a stop for a meal involved?

2: it is easy to get boarding passes printed out on board. just go to the computer lab. depending on cruise line and airline it may not cost anything. or it will cost you whatever the fee is for a day( some lines still offer internet access per hour) heck we are beyond cheap and usually print ours out paying by the minute and its usually only a couple of dollars. or if you have a suite, its possible that it will be printed out for you gratis.

Tipping for tours depends if it's a cab, or a tour company! I'd go 15% of the cost of a cab for the day...or $5-10 to a tour guide, if it's a small group. If it's private, a bit more.

I do my airport check in on my phone, then print the boarding pass when I get to the airport.

You don't have to print out your boarding passes before you get to the airport. You can do it at the airport. Assuming you are checking in luggage at the airport, there is really no advantage to printing them early as you have to go to the machine to generate your luggage tags.

DON

Boarding passes:

With many airlines you can just download the boarding pass to your phone. Then your phone gets scanned by the person taking boarding passes before you head down the jetway. Check it out with your airline. I felt leery about it the first time but it is super easy. Back when we did have to print passes, one time we had to wait in a line at the Internet cafe on the ship. The printer was not cooperating and there were many misprints. It ended up costing over $10 in Internet time.

Tipping for excursions:

We tip cab drivers( to and from the airport about 10% of the fare. If the are really helpful we tip 15%.

Excursion guides and drivers: if

They did a great job we will tip 15% or more. We tip the driver less.

This is just what we do. Our vacation budget is not high so we have to strike a balance between what we think the driver/guide deserves and what we can afford. We try to err on the high side because for many drivers/guides their tips may be their only income. I figure they are poorer than me. After all, even though we are frugal by necessity, they deserve to be tipped.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Boarding passes:

With many airlines you can just download the boarding pass to your phone. Then your phone gets scanned by the person taking boarding passes before you head down the jetway.

Pro-tip: Screenshot your boarding pass on your phone. If you lose connectivity in the airport, you can just pull up the screenshot. Works exactly the same.

1: waaayyyy too variable. is it a highlight tour of an hour? or an all day thing with stops for photo ops? is a stop for a meal involved?

2: it is easy to get boarding passes printed out on board. just go to the computer lab. depending on cruise line and airline it may not cost anything. or it will cost you whatever the fee is for a day( some lines still offer internet access per hour) heck we are beyond cheap and usually print ours out paying by the minute and its usually only a couple of dollars. or if you have a suite, its possible that it will be printed out for you gratis.

It is an all day tour with several stops, one being for a meal. There will be 4 in our party. 2 adults 2 teenage boys. Give me a dollar amount so I can budget my money accordingly.

Good to know! We are sailing on the Norwegian Escape and flying Spirit Airlines. I don't mind a fee if I know it will be done and I won't need to worry about it.

Boarding passes:

With many airlines you can just download the boarding pass to your phone. Then your phone gets scanned by the person taking boarding passes before you head down the jetway. Check it out with your airline. I felt leery about it the first time but it is super easy. Back when we did have to print passes, one time we had to wait in a line at the Internet cafe on the ship. The printer was not cooperating and there were many misprints. It ended up costing over $10 in Internet time.

Tipping for excursions:

We tip cab drivers( to and from the airport about 10% of the fare. If the are really helpful we tip 15%.

Excursion guides and drivers: if

They did a great job we will tip 15% or more. We tip the driver less.

This is just what we do. Our vacation budget is not high so we have to strike a balance between what we think the driver/guide deserves and what we can afford. We try to err on the high side because for many drivers/guides their tips may be their only income. I figure they are poorer than me. After all, even though we are frugal by necessity, they deserve to be tipped.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have saw people use there phone. I think maybe I will check into the as well.