'Look out for Upgrade Opportunity'

cinnamon

We've just had an email from Princess advising us that they may send us another email with an opportunity to upgrade our cabin on a cruise which is still 11 months away. We are currently booked in an Outside cabin.

Can anyone tell me of their experiences of this type of offer? Was it good value, easy to do, did you have to jump very quickly to get it?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's easy to do (just make a phone call) but you do have to be fairly quick because it's first come first served. We've received two offers and called the number back in the evening and received a call back the next day. Whether it's a good value would be up to you.

I have never received an email indicating that we may get an upgrade. I have gotten actual upsell offers though and have taken advantage of several of them. As mentioned, if you get an actual offer, call quickly if the price is right. Also check available cabins on their website in the interim if there are certain locations that aren't desirable to you. That way you will be prepared when they call you back.

We have always either received notice that we were upgraded or we received the upsell offer, we haven't seen the type of email you referenced but we use a TA so she may be getting those on our behalf.

We have taken a number of the upsell offers which have been quite good... We have also declined if the deal didn't meet our budget. You won't know if the deal is right for you until you get it. However, if you like the offer respond asap as these offers tend to go quickly.

Yes we got the same email referring to a 2018 cruise too (also in the UK).

Sandra

Very interested to hear that another Brit got the same email.

In the U?S. 'Upgrade' appears to refer to a free offer and 'Upsell' to one you pay extra for.

In the U.K. the word Upsell is not used. That may account for some confusion.

I've never received that type of email, but I usually book after the final payment date. Once when I booked early, I checked prices frequently and was able to upgrade ourselves from an inside cabin to an obstructed view when the price came down to be equal.

Had the same email though not sure how we can be upgraded from the mini suite as all suites have sold out on our cruise. Will be interested to see what is offered.

Sometimes cabins--even suites--become available near the final payment date, and even after. People put deposits on cabins to hold them and then change their minds just before final payment. I've received an upsell offer as late as two weeks before sailing. Don't give up hope--and be ready to move fast if you like the offer; it's first come first served.

After the June 8th princess sale.we got call from our T.A. that princess would upgrade 1 cabin.that was booked at interior pricing.upgrade was To a OV cabin.and other cabin we had booked oceanview.was offer to upgrade to balcony.of course we took both upgrades.good locations.and we have had 2 price drops in 2 months.so we booked b2b.so original cruise was 5 day Cabo Mexico cruise.and 2nd one is 4 day California coastal.And on that cruise.my Dad uses a scotter.booked a OV cat.HC.cabin.and was automatic upgrade to assessible Balcony.so upgraded been coming through pretty good.princess try to upgrade

That's why we give them our business.both these cruises are February 2018.best regards.Bonnie

Very interested to hear that another Brit got the same email.

In the U?S. 'Upgrade' appears to refer to a free offer and 'Upsell' to one you pay extra for.

In the U.K. the word Upsell is not used. That may account for some confusion.

Yeah, while I understand why posters use upsell to distinguish between the two types of upgrades I don't really care for the term upsell very much. It's certainly not the word Princess uses. I guess in my mind a paid upgrade is still an upgrade - it's just not a free upgrade. :)

Yeah, while I understand why posters use upsell to distinguish between the two types of upgrades I don't really care for the term upsell very much. It's certainly not the word Princess uses. I guess in my mind a paid upgrade is still an upgrade - it's just not a free upgrade. :)

Princess does not say "upsell" as it is too obvious they are trying to get more $$$ from you.

The word "upgrade" sounds beneficial, even if you have to pay for it.

The e-mail the OP received seems to be a new marketing ploy. Let you know an "upgrade" offer will be coming so you will be psychologically ready to pay more when the offer arrives.

Being offered this much in advance, it does not look like an appeal to upgrade to a cabin they are having trouble selling. Looks more like trying to convince you that you really want to pay more to be in a higher category cabin.

Sometimes cabins--even suites--become available near the final payment date, and even after. People put deposits on cabins to hold them and then change their minds just before final payment. I've received an upsell offer as late as two weeks before sailing. Don't give up hope--and be ready to move fast if you like the offer; it's first come first served.

That is useful to know thank you. We don't sail for another year but if one comes up at the right price I will snap it up.:)

We've just had an email from Princess advising us that they may send us another email with an opportunity to upgrade our cabin on a cruise which is still 11 months away. We are currently booked in an Outside cabin.

Can anyone tell me of their experiences of this type of offer? Was it good value, easy to do, did you have to jump very quickly to get it?

Thank you.

I got one for my Alaska cruise offering me to move from a Ocean View to a Balcony for a VERY reasonable cost, they call it paid upgrade.... You have to think how bad you want that better cabin.....some people book a guarantee cabin in a certain type of category and then hope to get that fully free upgrade, in my case I did hope that would happen but when this email came through I knew that if I didn't jump on it and pay the small extra cost, I would be kicking my self my whole cruise lol!

Good morning Kristy.

Heck yeah you want a balcony on Alaska cruise.for small upgrade amount. We had balcony cabins on both our Alaska cruises. One was roundtrip Seattle.and other one was Southbound one way to Vancouver. The farthest north to Alaska you go

More wildlife.more chances see whales and dolphins.that cruise we got upsell offer. $200 more balcony.and then not jockeying on deck. Privacy.get better pictures.so enjoy your balcony.you have great cruise. Bon voyage bonnie

We usually book a guarantee, ie., a BF balcony. We often get an "upgrade", assigned a higher level balcony, right before a price drop. Which we don't qualify for because we were assigned a "higher" level balcony. Of course, sometimes depending on the original booking, we can forgo the "upgrade" and go back into the guarantee pool.

I have followed up on my 'offer' by ringing them this morning! Ha ha, what a con. When I received the email last week, I wrote out the figures and worked out the difference between our premium balcony cabin and a mini suite - it was £165 per person, should that be the offer, and it is. The offer is ........ drum roll ...... £159 per person!!!

I rang to check that there was no mistake - who makes an offer for £6 pp? They have had a 'promotion change' in the last few days so the difference today is bigger. Needless to say, I am not taking them up on such a lousy, cynical offer. Inflate the price to look like they are offering something. Not good marketing IMO.

Thanks for this mrsgoggins, helps to keep our expectations low.

We have booked an Outside as the cruise is to the Arctic Circle. A balcony might have been a bonus but it will be too cold to sit outside anyway.