wines around the world tasting class

sgmn

Anyone done this wine tasting on Indi recently ? Wonder if its worth it. Are the wines decent? and do you learn anything about wines? How big are the classes? Its showing up in my planner for £13.63 which doesn't seem too bad

Thanks

Sue

it will honestly depend on which wines are being tasted and the skill/knowledge of the person running the tasting. That $15 bottle of Pinot Noir from a 10 year old vineyard in California might be a better wine than that $75 one from the oldest winery in France.

however I would not expect to learn anything of real value when it comes to wines. you may get the basics of pairing food, and some bare information on varietals.

at best, it lets you sample a few varieties that the ship has to offer without having a drinks package

As they say, the best wine teacher is...your tongue!

We've done a couple of these and frankly, for first timers, its probably a fun experience, but those who are already wine drinkers...not so much. You learn a few interesting facts and some rudimentary information and about 5 or 6 2 oz. pours.

I'd rather spend my drink money at R Bar or Vintages.

Great for newbies and fun facts.

For those that know anything about fine wines....pretty lame. :( Not worth the money IMHO.

Actually caught some misinformation, and did not enjoy the price they charged for tasting grocery store wines.

We used to go to these tastings when they were free for our level. They are fun for beginners and you'll usually find one that you like.

For the $30 per couple, that will buy you about 3 glasses at the bar. Any bartender can and will match your tastes for that amount.

We have participated in the wine tasting on 2 different ships. It was a nice way to spend a sea day afternoon. I enjoyed learning a little more about wine and foods that complement the wine. During the tasting on the Explorer we had 3 reds and 1 white. The reds were all a blend of Cabernet and Merlot. Different ratios.

We now have a wine bar in our small town and have enjoyed them a little more. They explain the wine and the area from where it came. They also serve a go withs, cheese, chocolates and or fruit depending on the wine. So we probably won't do one on a ship again. Going to Vintages sounds interesting.

These events can be very entertaining for people that are new to wine tasting. It's a good start. But,...

During the tasting on the Explorer we had 3 reds and 1 white. The reds were all a blend of Cabernet and Merlot. Different ratios

There can be a fine distinction between blend ratios that even more experienced tasters will find difficult to discern, especially with wines at the lower end of the price spectrum. More informative might be a tasting of three wines; here is a 100% cabernet, here is a 100% merlot and here is a blend.

Realize that I can be taken to task with that comment, but for a relatively inexperienced taster, this is a good introduction.

These events can be very entertaining for people that are new to wine tasting. It's a good start. But,...

There can be a fine distinction between blend ratios that even more experienced tasters will find difficult to discern, especially with wines at the lower end of the price spectrum. More informative might be a tasting of three wines; here is a 100% cabernet, here is a 100% merlot and here is a blend.

Realize that I can be taken to task with that comment, but for a relatively inexperienced taster, this is a good introduction.

Actually, it was an eye opener for me. I have been drinking inexpensive wines for many, many years. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a blend. I have now noticed many blends in the stores, especially reds. Not sure about white. But ultimately what I taste when I drink wine is probably different from what you or anyone else tastes. And we all like different tastes. So, just think how many different wines we can check out and see if we like it.