New feature on Sea Pass Cards

warmwinds

I was on the recent Summit cruise June 26- July 7...on the second to last day, my card started failing - couldn't get into my cabin, kept getting red lights.

Went to GS and got a new one, and the agent showed me my new card with a new feature (I think he said they were rolling it out slowly, for sure next Summit sailing would have this but not sure about other ships...)

It will now have the last 3 digits of your cabin number...so not the deck, just the last 3 digits. He said so many people kept forgetting their cabin numbers they decided to implement this...for security reasons they did not include the deck number. So our cabin was 1138 and the new card read 138...I pointed out that if someone found the card they could, if they wanted, try every deck's cabin that ended in 138, and he said yes, but hopefully the person would report their card missing before (and if, a big if) anyone tried to do that.

I was on the recent Summit cruise June 26- July 7...on the second to last day, my card started failing - couldn't get into my cabin, kept getting red lights.

Went to GS and got a new one, and the agent showed me my new card with a new feature (I think he said they were rolling it out slowly, for sure next Summit sailing would have this but not sure about other ships...)

It will now have the last 3 digits of your cabin number...so not the deck, just the last 3 digits. He said so many people kept forgetting their cabin numbers they decided to implement this...for security reasons they did not include the deck number. So our cabin was 1138 and the new card read 138...I pointed out that if someone found the card they could, if they wanted, try every deck's cabin that ended in 138, and he said yes, but hopefully the person would report their card missing before (and if, a big if) anyone tried to do that.

I think this is an absolute disaster and if it is still in use when I board, I will leave feedback regarding it.

Security is an absolute must. It takes very little for a person with dishonest intentions to identify what deck a person is staying on, and consequently then know what cabin is theirs from the card. I can think of numerous scenarios from theft to doing bodily harm to another passenger. Especially older passengers and singles. And I don't even know where to start with regard to children and teen's cards!

And for what do they compromise everyone's security? The inconvenience of having to assist passengers who have forgotten where their cabin is?

I fervently hope that everyone is very vocal about this....and not AFTER some sort of tragedy occurs.

Edited by Fish Lover

I think this is an absolute disaster and if it is still in use when I board, I will leave feedback regarding it.

Security is an absolute must. It takes very little for a person with dishonest intentions to identify what deck a person is staying on, and consequently then know what cabin is theirs from the card. I can think of numerous scenarios from theft to doing bodily harm to another passenger. Especially older passengers and singles.

And for what do they compromise everyone's security? The inconvenience of having to assist passengers who have forgotten where their cabin is?

Agree.

We once had an elderly woman trying to get into "our" cabin - not even the same deck, nor the same number. I think it is a problem for some seniors and maybe even kids, but I don't think this is the right solution.

Just came off Freedom of the Seas a few weeks ago. They had the same last 3 digits you're referring to. Although we didn't lose our cards, I did find one in one of the lounges. Totally insecure IMHO.

I don't know how many cards get lost around the ship, or what percentage are found by terribly dishonest passengers who would risk the CCTV coverage to go deck to deck hoping to break into a cabin which could well be occupied, but I suspect that the risk factor is extremely low. And for what? Most passengers lock up valuables, so the would-be thief is taking an extreme risk for very little potential gain.

We certainly won't lose any sleep if this system is in place for our next cruise, particularly as DW and I have yet to lose a key card. That said, if it's going to upset some passengers, maybe Celebrity should look for another solution.

What is the crime rate on Celebrity cruise ships? I try and put things that are valuable to me in the safe. Do not think the butler or cabin attend is going to steal items, but I try and not give people the opportunity.

RCL has had the last 3 digits on the sea pass cards for as long as I can remember and I don't recall any issues. I've never seen any threads on the RCl boards concerning this feature or seen any news reports of any crimes.

I don't think this is a concern.

If having the numbers worries or upsets anyone, it would take very little elbow grease to rub the numbers off of the key card. ;)

I have started bring some packing tape to cover the face of our cards, because by the middle of a 10 day or so cruise, our cards are almost unreadable. I think that sunscreen is the worse culprit, but just everyday handling, hand sanitizer, etc. rubs the lettering off.;)

I'm just the messenger...but I do agree, and told them how easily the security could be breached...how long would it take to go through the (only) 7 passenger decks?

I can save you from going to all the decks. Simply go to a phone by the elevator, dial the room numbers, until the last name on the display matches the name on the card. :evilsmile:

Seriously, I always thought that displaying names on the phone was more of a security issue.

Security is an absolute must. It takes very little for a person with dishonest intentions to identify what deck a person is staying on, and consequently then know what cabin is theirs from the card. I can think of numerous scenarios from theft to doing bodily harm to another passenger. Especially older passengers and singles. And I don't even know where to start with regard to children and teen's cards!

I fervently hope that everyone is very vocal about this....and not AFTER some sort of tragedy occurs.

The RCL sea pass is issued the same way,

RCL has had the last 3 digits on the sea pass cards for as long as I can remember and I don't recall any issues. I've never seen any threads on the RCl boards concerning this feature or seen any news reports of any crimes.

I don't think this is a concern.

The RCL sea pass is issued the same way,

Looking back at some sea passes I can see that it has been like this since at least 2010 on RCI. In fact I found it strange that it wasn't like this on Celebrity when we first sailed with them in 2015.

I think there's some overreaction regarding this, especially describing it as a disaster. If you are security conscious then you shouldn't be leaving anything of value lying around in your stateroom when you have an in room safe to use. Also when you're in your cabin there is a deadbolt to prevent anyone entering uninvited.

If you lose your card and someone uses it fraudulently to make purchases before you report the loss, as you sign for purchases, it won't take much to prove it wasn't you using the card. Thinking about it and how it works on RCI, staff ask your deck number when you present your card so if the security photo that is displayed doesn't match the person presenting the card, that'll be a good clue that it's being used fraudulently.

Non issue for me.

Edited by peteukmcr

As soon as we board, I punch a hole in the sea pass, attach it to a lanyard, (have my own punch and lanyards $1 each) hook it around a belt loop--stick it in my pocket. No way is anyone going to see my room number.

When a name is displayed, does the phone also display a cabin number?

No, because the name is displayed just after you just typed in the cabin number!

I see nothing wrong with this if it bothers you just wipe off the last 3 number with your finger or a rag it comes off easy. Or if you are that worried about security DO NOT BE CARLESS AND LOSE YOUR KEY.

RCI has done this as long as I can remember.

I will say that on Celebrity because of the number of different cabin classes and sea pass colors, it could be as little as two options, or for Aqua the three digits on Summit are actually unique; 9th deck for forward cabins and 11th deck for aft cabins, so the last three digits on an Aqua card would in fact identify the cabin...

This is just dumb. DH plays poker in the evening and I am alone in the cabin. As others have said, it's easy to go to those cabins ending in the 3 numbers and try the card.
But that's why you cabin door has a deadbolt.