Sad to have to cancel

lbfluffy

My husband had to have this procedure and that was 5 years ago. We live near los banks and he had it done at UCSF. They have a fantastic heart department. He has taken many cruises , even in Europe.

Best of luck to him.

He is on medication yet he still had the second episode.

Whatever you decide best of luck. I could ask if the meds were changed in any way or if doses were altered but not being there you and the MD's should know best.

Prayers for you. :halo:

Thank you for the reassurance. My husband is nervous he will have another episode before the ablation. He does not want to be shocked again.
I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. I had the same condition for over 20 years and was shocked and given meds that I didn't respond to, and finally had the ablation, which really worked. I have flown and been on several cruises since, so I really hope your husband's situation will have the same outlook. Good luck!

We have a 15 day Hawaii cruise planned for November, but sadly we will more than likely have to cancel. It is a bucket list cruise for my hubby. 3 weeks ago my husband's heart rate went to 240 beats per minute for no reason. He hasn't had heart problems. He was transported to the hospital. They could not get his rate below 230, so they shocked him. Afterwards they checked for blockage. He has very little blockage. So they said it is a misfiring of the electrical system in the heart. He will need an ablation. Sadly he had this same thing happen last Friday and had to be shocked. We see the cardiologist tomorrow, but his regular dr does not feel he should be out at sea for the length of time on the cruise even after the ablation. So we will talk to the Cardiologist and see what he says. We will more than likely cancel. But my husband's health is more important than a cruise right now.

I wouldn't cancel yet.My wife had a double ablation in May and could have gone on a cruise the next day.Absolutely no issues!

We have a 15 day Hawaii cruise planned for November, but sadly we will more than likely have to cancel. It is a bucket list cruise for my hubby. 3 weeks ago my husband's heart rate went to 240 beats per minute for no reason. He hasn't had heart problems. He was transported to the hospital. They could not get his rate below 230, so they shocked him. Afterwards they checked for blockage. He has very little blockage. So they said it is a misfiring of the electrical system in the heart. He will need an ablation. Sadly he had this same thing happen last Friday and had to be shocked. We see the cardiologist tomorrow, but his regular dr does not feel he should be out at sea for the length of time on the cruise even after the ablation. So we will talk to the Cardiologist and see what he says. We will more than likely cancel. But my husband's health is more important than a cruise right now.

So sorry for you, but have faith in your doctors and above all in God!

However, we went through a very similar event on the morning we were to board the Crown Princess for a 28 day Hawaii and South Seas cruise in Oct 2015.

Long story short, my DW is now doing great but there were many trying times and hospital visits. Ablation followed by Tikosyn (twice daily) and she is purring along just great! Less energy but other than that OK! We are scheduled for the 28 Day cruise this Oct.

Lots of prayers and faith should get you through.

If there's a silver lining, it's that you're catching the problem now, and not at sea in November.

Small consolation I know, but consider the alternative ....

Srpilo

Yes they are scheduling the ablation on Tuesday.

First, I will say a prayer for you and your family...it is so hard going through such difficult times...until one walks in those shoes, it is hard to give advice. I feel so much for you and what you are going through. Prayers work miracles...we know from experience. You will have another time to cruise...believe it.

I hope the ablation goes perfectly. Your doctors might be more comfortable with you trying a west coast cruise so soon after the procedure, since you will be much closer to land at all times.

Exactly what I was thinking!! Hopefully, this will work out and replace your long anticipated trip.

Thoughts and prayers are with him ( you too). I have a friend that had an ablation and my friend is doing great. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Oh that's so sad! Perhaps you could do a CA coastal cruise as a safer alternative? You are truly very alone out at sea on the Hawaii cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is excellent advice. This was my first cruise after I returned from heart problems. I felt safer being in a CA port every day just in case I needed medical attention. I chose the itineraries that have very few Sea days and mainly port days. I hope you're able to try this option. Take care.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

We won't cancel yet, but the procedure is set for Tuesday. The cardiologist says the procedure has a 98 percent success rate. So we will make a decision in a couple weeks.

Thank you for your prayers.