Sad to have to cancel

lbfluffy

We have a 15 day Hawaii cruise planned for November, but sadly we will more than likely have to cancel. It is a bucket list cruise for my hubby. 3 weeks ago my husband's heart rate went to 240 beats per minute for no reason. He hasn't had heart problems. He was transported to the hospital. They could not get his rate below 230, so they shocked him. Afterwards they checked for blockage. He has very little blockage. So they said it is a misfiring of the electrical system in the heart. He will need an ablation. Sadly he had this same thing happen last Friday and had to be shocked. We see the cardiologist tomorrow, but his regular dr does not feel he should be out at sea for the length of time on the cruise even after the ablation. So we will talk to the Cardiologist and see what he says. We will more than likely cancel. But my husband's health is more important than a cruise right now.

My prayers are with you. Your husband's health is the most important consideration right now. There will always be cruises.

Exactly. We have the Panama Cruise booked next November as well so we will have to decide on that one as well.

Exactly. We have the Panama Cruise booked next November as well so we will have to decide on that one as well.

I hope the ablation goes perfectly. Your doctors might be more comfortable with you trying a west coast cruise so soon after the procedure, since you will be much closer to land at all times.

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's condition. That must be very scary. I'm so glad that, if it had to happen, it happened while you were at home instead out in the middle of the ocean. When he is better and able to cruise again you will have the comfort of knowing he has had all the tests and procedures and you can travel with more confidence in his health. Take care of yourself, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't cancel yet.

Wait until you talk to the electrophysiologist (fancy term for cardiac surgeon who does the ablation's)

If he has the ablation this month he will be good to go for a November cruise. It is only the second week of July. November is 15 weeks away.

I was cleared, by the electrophysiologist, to run a marathon 3 weeks after ablation. I'm in my 50's

Sending good thoughts your way that this is over quickly and you both will have peace of mind.

Enjoy your next planned cruise.

Don't cancel yet.

Wait until you talk to the electrophysiologist (fancy term for cardiac surgeon who does the ablation's)

If he has the ablation this month he will be good to go for a November cruise. It is only the second week of July. November is 15 weeks away.

I was cleared, by the electrophysiologist, to run a marathon 3 weeks after ablation. I'm in my 50's

Sending good thoughts your way that this is over quickly and you both will have peace of mind.

Enjoy your next planned cruise.

That's good to know. He is 52. He is very overweight. He's never had severe health issues, however his BP runs about 140/90. He has lost 7 pounds so far. He is trying to make some changes in his diet. He has cut back a lot. Unfortunately he has been overweight all his life with no serious health issues so he never felt he needed to change. I've changed for me, lost almost 90 pounds and have kept it off.

Thank you for the reassurance. My husband is nervous he will have another episode before the ablation. He does not want to be shocked again.

Jessica...our prayers are with both of you and I know from the Hawaii forum how prepared you are for his bucket list trip trip but Hawaii will always be there to visit after he's fully recovered. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Today is the one year anniversary of my first AFib episode. We had to cancel our Alaskan cruise scheduled for last August. I had the ablation procedure at the end of August and was cleared by my cardiologist to sail in December. Everyone's AFib is different. I never had to get shocked.Drugs worked to get my heart back in rhythm. But then they had to keep adjusting the dosages when it went back out of rhythm. It's stayed in rhythm since the ablation. Hope your husband's recovery goes well.

Jessica...our prayers are with both of you and I know from the Hawaii forum how prepared you are for his bucket list trip trip but Hawaii will always be there to visit after he's fully recovered. :)

Thank you. I know we will go there one day, I just want my husband to be fully recovered before taking the chance,

10 days at sea just may be too much right now.

And you have been so helpful with your tips

Today is the one year anniversary of my first AFib episode. We had to cancel our Alaskan cruise scheduled for last August. I had the ablation procedure at the end of August and was cleared by my cardiologist to sail in December. Everyone's AFib is different. I never had to get shocked.Drugs worked to get my heart back in rhythm. But then they had to keep adjusting the dosages when it went back out of rhythm. It's stayed in rhythm since the ablation. Hope your husband's recovery goes well.

My husband knows if he has another episode before the ablation, he will have to be shocked because the medicine did not work. He's nervous he will be shocked before the ablation.

That's good to know. He is 52. He is very overweight. He's never had severe health issues, however his BP runs about 140/90. He has lost 7 pounds so far. He is trying to make some changes in his diet. He has cut back a lot. Unfortunately he has been overweight all his life with no serious health issues so he never felt he needed to change. I've changed for me, lost almost 90 pounds and have kept it off.

Have his doctors considered sleep apnea as an underlying cause of the A-fib? Obstructive sleep apnea and A-fib go together frequently.