Report on 6/30/17 CB British Isles Cruise – LONG!

Suskies

Thanks for your review! I am looking at doing this cruise with my family on the Royal next June. Trying to figure out how to afford balcony cabins instead of interiors (no oceanview option on Royal), so with the weather you had do you think the balcony expense was worth it?

As a Brit who has been to all the places mentioned in the itinerary, those not by ship, I would say that June can be very hit and miss. We've had some of our hottest days ever in the South yet Scotland barely got above 15c. The western part of the UK gets more rain too and Ireland isn't known as The Emerald Isle for nothing ( green but wet).

This year our weather has been pretty good, but that happens once every 5 years or so. Hope that helps.

Thank you!! Much good advice. We sail on the August 29 Brit Isles cruise and are looking forward to it. Did they confiscate power strips? We have taken to bringing an extension cord instead since we have "lost" our power strips twice now.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your detailed report. I just booked this same itinerary yesterday (for August 2018) so I was very happy to see your review!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your review! I am looking at doing this cruise with my family on the Royal next June. Trying to figure out how to afford balcony cabins instead of interiors (no oceanview option on Royal), so with the weather you had do you think the balcony expense was worth it?

You're welcome! I think the balcony is a personal decision. For us, part of what we're paying for is that big sliding glass door--even if it's chilly or wet we've sometimes sat inside and watched the view from there. It also makes the cabin less claustrophobic. So we don't regret getting the balcony, but others might think it's not worthwhile.

Thanks for a very clear and detailed review of your cruise. We'll be sailing on the 27 day British Isles/TA in September, and your positive review of the ship is very much appreciated. We've taken this itinerary before, but we've never sailed on the CP.

Thanks for posting your review. We're sailing on this itinerary next month. I was questioning my decision not to book a lot of excursions. But from your description, it sounds like you did a lot of the types of things we will like to do on our own. The only one I have booked is an excursion to Blarney Castle and Kinsale through a tour company (not the cruise line).

Can you tell me what Princess was charging for the shuttle into Merrion Square in Dublin?

Thanks - enjoyed your review!

Also do you remember how late the shuttles runs since you overnight in Dublin? We have a dinner show booked for our sailing on Aug 17, and were,wondering if the shuttle will still be available or if we need to take a cab back to ship.

Thanks so much for your detailed review, and the hint about downloading your maps.

Can you tell me what Princess was charging for the shuttle into Merrion Square in Dublin?

Thanks - enjoyed your review!

Princess didn't charge for the Dublin shuttle into Merrion Square. The last shuttle leaves Dublin at 10 PM, so we took a taxi back to the ship after our pub crawl..

Also do you remember how late the shuttles runs since you overnight in Dublin? We have a dinner show booked for our sailing on Aug 17, and were,wondering if the shuttle will still be available or if we need to take a cab back to ship.

Thanks so much for your detailed review, and the hint about downloading your maps.

The last shuttle leaves Dublin at 10 PM. We took a taxi back; I think it cost less than 10 pounds. The dinner show staff should be able to point you to a nearby taxi stand.

Thanks for posting your review. We're sailing on this itinerary next month. I was questioning my decision not to book a lot of excursions. But from your description, it sounds like you did a lot of the types of things we will like to do on our own. The only one I have booked is an excursion to Blarney Castle and Kinsale through a tour company (not the cruise line).

Yes, every port has a lot of options. Several have trains that make for a nice outing. There wasn't a single shore excursion we regretted not taking. We also prefer to be able to head back to the ship whenever we like

Thank you!! Much good advice. We sail on the August 29 Brit Isles cruise and are looking forward to it. Did they confiscate power strips? We have taken to bringing an extension cord instead since we have "lost" our power strips twice now.

We didn't ask about whether we could bring power strips. It's something I'll check into before our next Princess cruise, though--if we can't bring power strips, how do they expect us to keep our stuff charged?

Rocklinmom, I just realized I answered your question from an outside-window-vs-balcony perspective, not an interior-vs-balcony perspective. I think it depends on how much time you expect to spend in the cabin. On this port-intensive cruise with only 2 days at sea, probably not much unless you want to watch TV. Another factor is how you like watching the sailaways out of port--with a balcony, you're guaranteed a seat with a view. Then a third factor, as I already mentioned, is how claustrophobic you'd feel in a windowless cabin.

An upside of an inside cabin is that it's completely dark when you're sleeping. I didn't sleep particularly well on this cruise, and I wonder if one of the reasons was that in Scotland light peeked around the edges of the curtains until 11 PM and again at 4 AM.

When we've traveled with our family, we've gotten a balcony cabin for ourselves and an inside cabin across the hall for our kids, with the understanding that they're welcome to use our balcony anytime. That way we get a balcony but still save some money.

Thank you, yes my concerns are feeling claustrophobic (have always had balcony cabins or suites) and also the early/late sunlight (although I don't sleep late anyway). For this cruise it might come down to simple economics, as prices are quite high.

I usually take a balcony cabin. I took an oceanview for my August 2013 British Isles cruise with only 2 sea days and all day tours. I knew I would not be sitting out. One sea day, we sat out for a movie with jackets and blankets with the wind blowing.

In August 2015, I took the 8 day British Isles cruise. I took an oceanview again. A couple of weeks before the cruise, I was offered an upsell for a balcony. I used the balcony to check out the weather and a few hours while in port. I felt we did not get full value out of the balcony compared to a balcony in the Caribbean.

Princess didn't charge for the Dublin shuttle into Merrion Square. The last shuttle leaves Dublin at 10 PM, so we took a taxi back to the ship after our pub crawl..

Wow! That's great to hear that they weren't charging for those transfers! Last I heard, they were charging $8 per person ONE way. If there are 2 of you, it's the same price as a taxi that takes you to where you want to go exactly instead of just in the city center! I hope they offer the same free shuttle for all of their ships visiting Dublin!

Suskies

Thanks for all the great info, very helpful for our BI cruise next May. Can you tell us about how much your "full English" breakfast cost at Patisserie and if it included tea or coffee? Trying to decide if we should use hotel breakfast or not.

Also, how bad was the hill leading to the train in Greenock? It sounds really steep and long (from other reviews), so not sure we could make it!

ML

I usually take a balcony cabin. I took an oceanview for my August 2013 British Isles cruise with only 2 sea days and all day tours. I knew I would not be sitting out. One sea day, we sat out for a movie with jackets and blankets with the wind blowing.

In August 2015, I took the 8 day British Isles cruise. I took an oceanview again. A couple of weeks before the cruise, I was offered an upsell for a balcony. I used the balcony to check out the weather and a few hours while in port. I felt we did not get full value out of the balcony compared to a balcony in the Caribbean.

We took the fall British Isles/TA itinerary in 2015 and the Baltic/TA in 2016. We had balconies on both cruises, and we used them every day. We like to watch the sail in and sail away. We like being able to get fresh air whenever we wish. We bundle up and go outside to watch the stars at night. We go outside to read on the few sea days or when we get back from a port early.

We're on the Sept. 10 British Isles/TA, and we will enjoy a balcony again.

Suskies

Thanks for all the great info, very helpful for our BI cruise next May. Can you tell us about how much your "full English" breakfast cost at Patisserie and if it included tea or coffee? Trying to decide if we should use hotel breakfast or not.

Also, how bad was the hill leading to the train in Greenock? It sounds really steep and long (from other reviews), so not sure we could make it!

ML

Hill is said to be 100 steps and it does seem very steep. We have climbed it in the past but train was an hour wait and shuttle was right there so we took it (just a few days ago)

Tuesday 6/27: ARRIVE IN LONDON

we took a Hotel Hoppa bus to the hotel (5 pounds per person one way).

Hi,

HOTEL HOPPA. Does it pick up on every terminal or just a specific terminal? We will be coming on Delta.

Thanks

ChattTenn

Hi,

HOTEL HOPPA. Does it pick up on every terminal or just a specific terminal? We will be coming on Delta.

Thanks

ChattTenn

Just allow plenty of time because it took me a good 25-30 mins. to get from my LHR hotel to Terminal 5.

Transfers to Heathrow Hotels using Hotel Hoppa

Heathrow airport tranfer service 'The most convenient way to or from your hotel to Heathrow airport'. Serves Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5, operates from 04.30 to midnight. £4 each way children travel free

http://www.heathrow-guide.com/heathrow-hotel-hoppa.html